Self-found vs Solo leagues

Hi folks,

I'm a high supporter of a permanent self-found league, and I see a lot of resistance against it. The main reasons shown to me by serious players (not haters or trolls) were:

- It would be too anti-social (or asocial)
- The player base would be too small
- It would be boring after some levels
- It would split the player base

Ok, I can understand those who don't care about it, but I really can't understand why some are so religiously against it. The self-found league idea I support is:

- No trading allowed among players of any form
- No increased drop ratio - the ratio should be exactly the same of the standard league
- Parties and guilds allowed
- No guild stash (to avoid trading)
- Personal stash allowed - the self-found aspect would be by account and not by character

In that form, the game wouldn't be anti-social. Actually it would be quite the opposite: without godly or overhyped items, most players would be inclined to join guilds or parties to clear high-level areas and maps. Rare and more dangerous maps would be played more frequently in parties, to increase the chance of drops. That is, in my opinion, the main difference between "self-found" and "solo" leagues: self-found doesn't mean you're alone.

Talking about the player base, that's just a matter of taste. For sure it would be smaller than the standard one, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't be addressed. There are just a few serious PvP players (compared to the grand total) and that didn't hold GGG to properly support them. The same for the hardcore league. So I don't understand why self-found couldn't be addressed as well.

About the league being boring, that depends on the player. I would enjoy being able to actually use currency items instead of stock them for trading (I don't remember the last time I actually used an exalted orb, for instance). At the end-game, the self-found league would be, for sure, harder than any other league. This could make some players frustrated. Again, that's completely dependent on the player.

As about the player base splitting, I'll quote some of the answers of this thread:
"
HoockBr wrote:
These people that is against a new league try to argument that they dont want the player base to be split more. But they dont see that u cant force someone to play if they dont find the game is fun for then, some people really dont like these 2 leagues, maybe they play for 1 month or 2 and be bored again, like me.

Creating 1 more league will not split player base, it will bring new players to the game that like other playstyle.

A common argument against a creation of a permanent self-found league is that one can just play self-found on standard: just don't make any trades. Well, that can be sufficient for solo self-found players, but in my case that's not so simple: in the light of the "self-found but not alone" idea, you only use what you drop, and only party with people which are playing that way too. That's the problem - without a dedicated league to that, it is impossible to make sure your party/guild members are truly self-found players.

Self-found league is actually a thing I really wanted to see, but I understand that some discussion about it is required. Again, I don't really understand why some players are so devoted against the idea, and most of the threads I saw around the forum were flooded by hatred and troll posts. So, guys, is there a way to discuss that idea without going berserk?

(I know, this is internet and asking for a polite conversation here is sometimes asking too much, but I'll give it a try)

The one thing I'd like to make clear with this post is: self-found and solo leagues are different beasts. Self-found with parties and guilds are completely reasonable.

Opinions?

Thanks.
Last edited by DarkMantle on Apr 27, 2015, 9:23:58 PM
I havent used a single exalt in my 2 years + of tenure. :/
(Location):PH
Duelist is kylo ren -_-
It sounds like you want to play Diablo 3 RoS.

Unless you really genuinely don't have any interest in better drop rates, and would rather just never have a chance to have a shav's, and would like a mirror drop to basically be a holographic first edition albino rhoa feather.

Edit: but actually though, the devs have repeatedly said that PoE is balanced around its economy; in fact, there's a quote making the rounds that the economy is the single most important thing to one of the devs (maybe even Chris?). A self-found league defeats the purpose of that.
Last edited by codetaku on Apr 26, 2015, 11:06:16 PM
"
It sounds like you want to play Diablo 3 RoS.

Unless you really genuinely don't have any interest in better drop rates, and would rather just never have a chance to have a shav's, and would like a mirror drop to basically be a holographic first edition albino rhoa feather.

I discovered PoE because I hated Diablo 3 from day 1 =P

That's crucial: the self-found league, in my opinion, should have the exact same drop ratios of the standard/hardcore leagues. No more, no less. I don't want a "easy-to-find-items" league.

And another crucial part is: the standard/hardcore leagues wouldn't cease to exist. The self-found league would be just another league, for those who want to play it. For those who don't, just ignore and keep playing the league of your choice.
"
DarkMantle wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm a high supporter of a permanent self-found league, and I see a lot of resistance against it. The main reasons shown to me by serious players (not haters or trolls) were:

- It would be too anti-social
- The player base would be too small
- It would be boring after some levels

Ok, I can understand those who don't care about it, but I really can't understand why some are so religiously against it. The self-found league idea I support is:

- No trading allowed among players of any form
- No increased drop ratio - the ratio should be exactly the same of the standard league
- Parties and guilds allowed
- No guild stash (to avoid trading)
- Personal stash allowed - the self-found aspect would be by account and not by character

In that form, the game wouldn't be anti-social. Actually it would be quite the opposite: without godly or overhyped items, most players would be inclined to join guilds or parties to clear high-level areas and maps. Rare and more dangerous maps would be played more frequently in parties, to increase the chance of drops. That is, in my opinion, the main difference between "self-found" and "solo" leagues: self-found doesn't mean you're alone.

Talking about the player base, that's just a matter of taste. For sure it would be smaller than the standard one, but it doesn't mean I shouldn't be addressed. There are just a few serious PvP players (compared to the grand total) and that didn't hold GGG to properly support them. The same for the hardcore league. So I don't understand why self-found couldn't be addressed as well.

About the league being boring, that depends on the player. I would enjoy being able to actually use currency items instead of stock them for trading (I don't remember the last time I actually used an exalted orb, for instance). At the end-game, the self-found league would be, for sure, harder than any other league. This could make some players frustrated. Again, that's completely dependent on the player.

Self-found league is actually a thing I really wanted to see, but I understand that some discussion about it is required. Again, I don't really understand why some players are so devoted against the idea (maybe they are representatives of RMT sites?), and most of the threads I saw around the forum were flooded by hatred and troll posts. So, guys, is there a way to discuss that idea without going berserk?

(I know, this is internet and asking for a polite conversation here is sometimes asking too much, but I'll give it a try)

The one thing I'd like to make clear with this post is: self-found and solo leagues are different beasts. Self-found with parties and guilds are completely reasonable.

Opinions?

Thanks

disagree

Dude,there are people lije you that makes me want to go against whatever your ideas.

Sfl is just that.You cant have party on sfl,beats the purpose.

If you want to play the style you propose,you play right now,with no strings attached.

I also like your comment on those that either want what you propose or else everyone else,including me that disagree,is a promoter of rmt.

Not only that but your whole thread suggest that legitimate players are too few to even dont want this version of sfl.

So its not gonna be a friendly conversation bro.

And cards added into game must be more sfl than the sfl we already expierience,even before act4
Bye bye desync!
Last edited by elwindakos on Apr 26, 2015, 11:15:08 PM
No trading but you allow grouping???

So... we enter a zone, I drop something on the ground, you drop something on the ground.. You pickup mine, I pickup yours.
Drop it on the ground and only YOU can pick it up.

See how easy that was?
"
elwindakos wrote:

disagree

Dude,there are people lije you that makes me want to go against whatever your ideas.

Sfl is just that.You cant have party on sfl,beats the purpose.

If you want to play the style you propose,you play right now,with no strings attached.

I also like your comment on those that either want what you propose or else everyone else,including me that disagree,is a promoter of rmt.

Not only that but your whole thread suggest that legitimate players are too few to even dont want this version of sfl.

So its not gonna be a friendly conversation bro.

And cards added into game must be more sfl than the sfl we already expierience,even before act4

I didn't understand why "its not gonna be a friendly conversation bro", but anyway...

I do see some replying stating that "why don't you just play self-found now?" - the reason is: is not that simple.

Remember that I defend the self-found-but-not-alone type of league. Playing in that style on standard is near impossible. How to find more self-found people? And how to ensure they are, really, self-found players? It's not possible. That's why I think a league is needed.

Sorry about the RMT comment. I'll try to clarify: some attack so hard the idea of a self-found league, but so religiously hard, that I tend to try to understand the meaning of that, since the idea of another league doesn't affect those who don't want to play it. Aside from trolling, I didn't find an explanation. That's where the RMT comment came in.

About the cards, I failed to find the explanation of what are them. Do you have a link you could share with me explaining how are they, and why they promote self-found? I'd appreciate =) (the https://www.pathofexile.com/theawakening/items page is empty about the cards yet)

That's the main topic of this thread: to show you guys my opinion that self-found doesn't mean alone.
Imo if self-found, then solo. Partying kinda removes the point from self-found when you can just stay in the back and get carried by others.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Qiox wrote:
No trading but you allow grouping???

So... we enter a zone, I drop something on the ground, you drop something on the ground.. You pickup mine, I pickup yours.

I see two solutions for that: use the "drop on cities" behavior, where dropping an item shows a dialog asking if you really want to destroy the item, and the "permanent allocation" behavior, where items dropped can only be retrieved by the character who dropped it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info