INFERNAL CYCLONE Potential 2.0 build idea

======This is just a placeholder for a build that MIGHT be done in 2.0======

Anyone that's played a facebreaker or another tanky infernal blow build knows how awesome it is to watch the whole map of enemies explode. Anyone who's played a cyclone build knows how strong you feel simply whirling into a pack of mobs and feeling invincible.

...I wanted to put the two together!

My build idea was simple yet required a lot of tweaking to get good. I also wanted this to be a build that could be picked up in a new league (maybe even hardcore, depending on how the skill tree changed) and used without too much currency investment. I'll go through the issues as we address them. The skills structure was such:

Cyclone -> Cast on Melee Kill -> Detonate Dead

Immediately this poses the issue of having both a spell and attack on the same link. What do we focus on in the tree? Is attack power or spell/elemental damage better? Or maybe attack speed?

I addressed this issue with the solution of placing cyclone as merely an enabler for detonate dead, meaning I don't need any investment in attack power. With Righteous Fire I could do this and receive a double bonus. Not only does RF do the initial damage for me, but it boosts the spell damage of Detonate Dead, which is also boosted by CoMK. Rares in a pack no longer stand a chance!

So after a bit of testing, I discovered that cyclone wasn't getting the final blow on most mobs, causing them not to detonate. I updated my links as such:

Cyclone -> Cast on Melee Kill -> Detonate Dead -> Culling Strike

This, however, started it's own share of issues. One, mana was starting to become a problem. Well, it kinda already was before, but I now needed a flask as the mana gain simply from my tree and fairly average rares wasn't tops. Two, the corpses were detonating, but the AoE was way too small. I tested it by throwing the 4-link into a Wideswing, imitating an increased AoE gem. Remember, I don't need the phys damage to be high. I could still sustain RF without RoTP (barely) with Vitality and Purity of Fire in a Voideye... But this is starting to become expensive... And it worked!

What I noticed now was the puny damage of detonate dead. I only had a low level gem, but it didn't seem noticable at all, and with CoMK + RF bonus spell damage, it should have at least had some effect... And that was when I noticed it. The worst news of it all. The thing that killed my build...

Spoiler
Detonate dead does not contain the spell keyword and thus is not affected by supports or passives that increase spell power, including Righteous Fire.

So with that news, I'm fairly sure it's impossible to create any good Infernal Cyclone build. Don't get me wrong, after putting it all together with relatively mediocre gear, I was still able to duke it out through Lunaris at level 70, but that only shows that the build is barely possible, even if it is fun, and may require more investment to become good.

So this is where I'd love to get your help in this. If anyone has picked up anything I've missed to make this build work, I'm all ears! If anyone would like to make suggestions on any other CoMK builds, I'm up for it, but I can't see why they'd be any good. I mean, the reason for detonate dead was the cool factor, as well as the theory of completely blowing up a rare if he was in a pack. I'm not sure it would be quite the same with arc or firestorm or ball lightning or anything.

Basically, there are so many better uses for Righteous Fire (Incinerate and Flame Surge to name a few) but if anyone would like to share ideas for a cheap and viable CoMK build, please shower me in your wisdom!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info