Fortify/Endurance Charges + Armour mechanics

Introduction so that everybody understands the matter and the reason for my question:

This is a question that probably only the developers can answer, so im gonna post it with the hope that someone of those guys sees it or anybody else knows it. No matter if i get an answer or not this is probably of great interest for all melee lovers out there (which im not (yet)).

Endurance Charges and Fortify stack directly with your physical damage reduction from armour and nearly everybody knows that armour gets less effective the more damage you take in one hit. This basically means (careful random numbers that only show the principle!) if you have 50% damage reduction from armour you might take only 500 damage from a 1000 hit, but you dont take 5000 dmg from a 10000 hit. you actually take more, since the armour scaling is "strange" to keep it sinmple.

People conclude from this mechanic that endurance charges/fortify, which reduce incoming damage, make armour more effective because the incoming damage is lowered.
This presumes though that the damage reduction from armour is taken into account AFTER the damage reduction from fortify/endurance charges. If it is applyied BEFORE then armour effectivity should actually be the same no matter how much other physical resistance you got.

The question:

So my question obviously is does armour apply before or after physical reduction from other sources?
Or is there some completely different mechanic?
As already stated probably only the developers can answer this.

Conclusion for the case of the former option:
This would basically mean that the already weak armour as secondary defense compared to all the others cant be manually buffed at all (except for scaling obviously) and in my opionion defenitely needs a buff. Most or at least many dangerous/lethal situations are those where big hits rather than many small hits are taken anyway and so far i couldnt say that armour, no matter how much i got, reduced taken damage significantly.

Feel free to answer, comment or state your opinion!

As you probably saw, im not a native english speaker. So my apologies for misunderstandings if there are any!
Last edited by hartzfear1995 on Apr 22, 2015, 5:36:38 PM
Last bumped on Dec 21, 2016, 3:24:26 PM
This has already been answered in multiple locations.

Fortify is "25% less damage taken", so it stacks multiplicatively at the very end.

So armour happens, then endurance charges add physical reduction on top of that, then fortify makes you only take 75% of that damage as a final value.

Sorry, but your opening post was unnecessarily long for no reason.
Last edited by codetaku on Apr 22, 2015, 5:48:26 PM
Oh well, i didn't see anything about this and I thought i had seen more or less everything we could about the beta and mechanics. Thanks for the reply though that is very helpful and quite unfortunate for armour...
"

Fortify is "25% less damage taken", so it stacks multiplicatively at the very end.

So armour happens, then endurance charges add physical reduction on top of that, then fortify makes you only take 75% of that damage as a final value.

I know this is an old topic, but for it not to misinform and confuse people I had to reply.
Fortify damage reduction comes first: before armour and endurance charges reduction, as confirmed by GGG Rory. -> https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1314659#p10946661

"
BigSha wrote:
"

I know this is an old topic, but for it not to misinform and confuse people I had to reply.
Fortify damage reduction comes first: before armour and endurance charges reduction, as confirmed by GGG Rory. -> https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1314659#p10946661

you are probably reading it wrong thus misinform and confuse people :)

damage taken mod kicks in after (armour/resist) mitigation, and it has always been like that. What comes before the mitigation is "damage taken as" mod like on Lightning Coil, Taste of Hate, Cloak of Flame
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Dec 21, 2016, 3:26:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info