[1.3] Tanky Thor - Hammer of Justice

Hi,

although playing the game for almost 4 years I still consider myself noob, and this is my first supplied build, so please be gentle. :)

Idea
After playing around 20 builds utilizing Arctic Armour/Evasion/Arcrobatics/FotM-Mitigation-Uniques and seeing so many posts about how bad armour is I wanted to see for myself what the situation really is.
My idea was to go ham on armour using 1h+shield and static strike with phys2lightning for 100% conversion and HoT-Cursing.

Why is this a build for me?

- You don't care about clearspeed
- You are sick of anything that's usually scary
- You are lazy, you have nothing to fear except high elemental damage, not even reflect
- You do mistakes and sometimes play after having some drinks :)
- This is your first character on a new league, armour-gear is cheap atm

Gems

Mainskill: Static Strike + Physical to Lightning + Melee Physical Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage

Mana is a big problem on this build until our Herald gets going. Right now I got 115 Mana unreserved, around 9 Mana per Sec, and my 4L Static Strike needs 15 Mana. That's something like 15 Attacks to trigger our Herald. Usually it doesn't take more than 5 hits to get it going, and from then on our Herald doesn't stop cursing as we get 20% chance to shock.

Herald: Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Warlords Mark + Conductivity

As we deal 100% Lightning Damage, Life Leech from anything physical doesn't apply to us. Luckily Warlords Mark doesn't care about the type of damage, and Conductivity grants us increased damage and more chance to shock!
Getting 3 blue and 1 red on armour-gear is a tough and expensive challenge, that is why I am wearing hybrid Armour-Energy Shield-Gloves. You don't loose too much armour and get the coulors easily.

Aura: Determination + Tempest Shield + Reduced Mana

I am already seeing you guys raging that I actually use tempest shield. Yes, 4% Block chance isn't much, but 230-500 damage for almost any second attacker is nice.
Determination is a must for us as it is a huge multiplier to our armor rating. And armour is what we're here for, right? :)

Reactional Gems

Vengeance + Reckoning + Life gain on Hit + Life leech

To be completely honest here, I actually have no idea whether the actual life we get is worth it, but I just don't see anything else that could be useful here.

Additional Gem Sockets

This is really up to you. I am kind of sick of leap slam as a movement ability, and therefore use Shield Charge. In addition I cast Enduring Cry for when I see a scary pack and don't want to wait until our Herald gets going.
If you want to get armour even higher, try to cast Molten Shell manually or with Cast on Damage Taken. We do get some elemental damage nodes so it should get us something like 5k damage and around 4k additional armour.

As for Vaal Skills I started to like:

Vaal Lightning Strike + Physical to Lighning + + Melee Physical Damage + Weapon Elemental Damage

Bandits

Normal: Oak for Health
Cruel: Kraityn for 8% Attack Speed
Merciless: Oak for the 6. Endurance charge (we want to go ham, remember? :)

Passive Tree

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecEswY5Dc0UIBRNFPYWbxcvGJEaOBo-G_ocziSLJKol3ycvKS4rUC3SNuk6UjqdOtg8BT0PPfxQR1FgValV1lcNWGNfP2CRZOdmnmdYaPJqAXGFcql2rHfleTl8uHy7fNl-4oCkggeCm4Y7jM-QVZHOl7SaO57Nn8uiAKQZpzCtjbFCtiy8n8AawGbE9sbYzLfPftIh1XXZYdl84XPjauRR5K3p1eoY7DjvDu988B_xrPJB8wb2SPcy-tL7qvxL_lQ=

My current Gear

Conclusion

I LOVE ARMOUR.
I am still amazed that anything usually scary is a complete joke now. 75 Map with vulnerability and that groundslamming exile possessed by a ghost? I didn't even have to use a flask, there was hardly any damage.
I am still carrying a granite flask with me to get my 37k Armour to 70k, but to this point never had a reason to do so.
Tooltip-DPS is 5.500 right now, but considering reactionaly gems, curses, and our herald it should be somewhat around 10k.
Life is at 5.200.

Char Tabs

I'd love to hear your oppinions guys! :)
Perception is reality.
Last edited by widardd on Apr 9, 2015, 11:33:42 AM
very interesting!!

can you post character tab screenshots and maybe a video or two ?

is this HC viable?
RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625
"
cmphx wrote:
very interesting!!

can you post character tab screenshots and maybe a video or two ?

is this HC viable?

I have never done HC but theoretically the concept of this build should be the very definition of "HC viable", and I did my 4/4 in the 1-Month-League on this build.
My PC is quite a potato, but I will try to get a video. ;)

Tab screenshots added!
Perception is reality.
Last edited by widardd on Apr 9, 2015, 11:34:18 AM
Thank you so much. You've inspired me to do a slight variation of your build to finish HC first try.

Gear

All bought with a few chaos orbs each, or self found. im at 32k armor with this and 7.4k static strike. I can facetank everything that does physical damage. In fact, it feels more like I am immune to physical damage. The only thing that hurt me through all the leveling and in maps was elemental damage, which still is alot, but its easier to avoid than physical.

Thanks again!!
RIP King of the Forest view-thread/1738625

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info