Have Beta, can't play :(

Hello there,

I was overjoyed when I found out about my Beta Invite today.

Install process went without problems, but when the first screen popped up my graphics card RPM shoot up like crazy.

It's a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT with 512 MB RAM.

While playing WoW with maxed settings with the exception of lowest shadow quality, lowest water detail and lowest clutter density it runs smooth at about 70°C and 3500 RPM.

If I turn to higher shadow/water, it shoots up to 4000 RPM / 75°C and the card starts to be a lot noisier.

Same situation in Path of Exile now, sadly. I don't want to risk my graphics card blowing up so I don't dare playing.

Current graphics settings are:

1280x720
VSync ON
No Shadows
Antialiasing Off
Trilinear Filtering
Post Processing ON

Login screen was the most craziest with all the heavy rain, but even at the character creation screen. After logging into the game itself I minimized the game window to let it cool off a bit then played the starting zone untill it went to 4000 RPM then minimized again, rinse and repeat, untill I reached the first town. Longer streches of played just aren't possible like that, I can't afford a new card or even computer right now.

So is there any way to turn down the rain/water or other graphic settings via console options?

/edit
After further testing a few things out I can definitely say that this is caused by the rain. After opening the passive skill menu it goes down to the normal 3500 RPM, when closing and standing in town, where it also rains, it shoots up again.

/edit2
Sadly, it's the same in the Terraces area after a while. I have to minimize or open the passive skill tree to let the RPM go down. :(
Last edited by Kyneugh on Nov 19, 2011, 2:14:35 AM
I can imagine that the higher RPM of your gfx-card's cooling can be annoying, but you don't have to worry about "blowing up". How is the temperature of the gfx-card? Did you notice any screen artifacts etc?

General rule of thumb: Up to 90°C your card should be fine. If you notice any shutdowns or image artifacts, then you should start looking into things. Other than that, you should be fine :)

I hope you get to test the game soon!
Hmm... What should I write here?
"
Trilok wrote:
I can imagine that the higher RPM of your gfx-card's cooling can be annoying, but you don't have to worry about "blowing up". How is the temperature of the gfx-card? Did you notice any screen artifacts etc?

General rule of thumb: Up to 90°C your card should be fine. If you notice any shutdowns or image artifacts, then you should start looking into things. Other than that, you should be fine :)

After a couple of minutes, shorter when it rains like in the first camp or on the login screen, it went up to 75°C and I didn't let it go higher and minimized the game.

I didn't notice any graphical glitches or even shutdowns it was just the loud noise from the fan that scared me.

Yesterday I also put the finger on the back-slot of the card on the outside of the computer and it was warm, but not burning hot.

I also read that the standard fans that come with the gfx's are that noisy when it goes into higher load regions.

Thanks very much for your help. I'll see if I can put up with that noise though I'd still would like to know if there are some console commands to reduce rain effects or anything else.
I am currently using the same graphics card in my setup and have not noticed any speedup of the fan, One thing you can try blowing the card out with some canned air. I usually dust my rig about once every three months and have noticed the cards collect a lot of dust.
I use Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 and notice simmilar heating up. PoE isn't the first game that does it tho. I had even higher degree of heating up with Dawn of War 2 and all the expansions but like Trilok mentioned you dont have to worry much untill you start noticing glitches on the screen.
When I play most of the games my gpu temp is around 60-65C but PoE (and DoW2) easly take it up to 80 (and DoW2 can even higher) making fans to actually start working at 60% of power. But as said, unless you notice problems on screen you should be able to play safely.
"I fear no evil, for I am fear incarnate!"

"Many claim they wish to destroy their enemies. If this were true, most would be compelled to destroy themselves."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info