[2.X] Pledge of Spectres, Summoner - 7L spectres, 6L zombies -Update for 2.2 Ascendency?

Update* 14 May 2016

Major updates
[2.2] With the update, controlled destruction and elemental focus offer more damage output with no downsides(Conc effect reduces splash and AoE).

Evangelists benefit ALOT from elemental focus too even though they are physical based due to Added fire and Gerosity + Hatred.
Incinerators and flame sentinels benefit fully from elemental focus and controlled destruction too!

[2.2] Not much updates to zombies, unless you want to try poison, you can replace melee phys or faster attacks with poison gem.

[2.2] Look for a helm with 20% reduced convocation recharge for more utility. Faster recharge means you have more room for re-positioning if need be.

Updated Gear, Pots, Gem Links

Update* 4th Aug:
Added 2.0 gear and gem requirements

2.2 Gear

Gear Priority

Pledge of hands 4L/5L.

Ultimately its similar to getting a 5L/6L due to its innate "Supported by spell echo" With the current Perandus league meta, a pledge of hands can be bought at around 5c. If you are really on a budget, a 4L will suffice since with echo it will be a pseudo 5L. This is enough to carry you through maps where you will earn more currency.

Next up will be your vis mortis for its +1 spectre. 4L will suffice if you're on a budget and you can live on +2 minion helm zombies temporarily. You can get a vis mortis for about 1c on Perandus atm.

Feel free to comment and critic, would like ways to improve my build further if possible! Gear is not the best, but its what I have currently.

Current Gear:
Old budget gear from warband league

Stats

General Info

Why 7L spectres and 6L zombies?

Well the reason is simple, 7L spectres offer an insane AOE clear speed, leaving behind the tankier mobs, which would be rares and bosses. Since there are no other targets around left, the zombies are free to focus on these tanky targets, so they are built to deal high SINGLE target damage.

4L specs + 6L zombies
You have great single target zombies, but your AOE spectres are not that great. If you cannot clear the trash mobs fast enough, the zombies will start swapping targets and you will lose out on your single target DPS. This makes a huge difference when fighting bosses with adds, if your zombies cannot focus on the boss and cannot clear the boss fast enough, it gets really dangerous for the summoner and the army. My previous setup was this, 4L evangelists have decent AOE(Spectre + Increase AOE + Conc Effect + Minion Dmg), but in boss fights with adds, my zombies tend to run all over the place since there are multiple targets so I decided to change it up.

6L specs + 4L zombies
You have great AOE to clear trash, good clear speed, but you will suffer when you meet tanky targets and bosses since your zombies are only 4L. Though 4L zombies are generally built to tank more than DPS(Zombie + multistrike + life + empower), you can still clear maps relatively fast with the bottleneck being bosses.

Why vaal lightning trap?

Vaal lightning trap is your best friend, with the same reason I used it in my FlameDAB build, it makes tanky bosses/rares melt when they get shocked, coupled with the 7L specs and 6L zombies, boss fights are relatively fast and safe, before their massive aoe starts stacking up.

Why no block, no life, no vaal haste?

From experience, summoners will NEVER win a war of attrition, especially since specters cannot be resummoned that easily. With each battle lasting longer, your survivabilty also becomes another issue, eg. Long fights against crematorium/academy bosses.

This proved to be one of my major disadvantages as a low life summoner, since I could not pot and heal myself AND also I did not have enough mana to resummon an army fast enough should they fall, once the frontline zombies die, the danger of yourself and the evangelists increases and should either die, you're gonna be wasting so much time to resummon/re-train.

So I built this with the mindset that I will end the encounter fast, before pots run out, or the full team gets wiped or even before the full screen gets firestormed! This has been proven to be pretty effective, this also translate to high clear speed, since AOE and single target are both extremely potent in DPS

Block on minions are really good, especially if they're near the block cap, however with block focus on minions, you lose a shield slot, and if the battle takes longer, your survivability becomes another issue. These can be balanced to benefit both but its not my cup of tea.

There have been cases where the zombies get decimated, but due to the high mana regen, it takes just a couple of second to replace them all and get back into the fight.

As for vaal haste, I'd put it in my setup if I had space, but the best I can do now is to instant snapshot vaal haste with the same socket as desecrate and use it if I really need it, but currently I'm not doing it since desecrate is important if you want to cheese those bosses.

Bandits

Normal - HP
Cruel - Passive
Merciless - Passive

Flasks

Why hallowed flasks?

The main reason I use hallowed flasks is the potion charge per use.
Hallowed flasks: 10 charge per use / 30 charges total (Kill 10 white mobs to gain 1 use)
Divine flasks : 15 charge per use / 45 charges total (Kill 15 white mob to gain 1 use)

As I covered above in the general info, summoners have a bad time in attrition fights, so you need to be able to recoup your potions and minions between encounters fast, so filling up your pots is a major plus point.

Imagine taking down Igna Phoenix(firestorm exile) or a beyond boss and attempting to continue through the map, your minions will take a beating since they are not meant to tank, but with hallowed flasks it is easier to recover from the "heavy" fight and progress through the rest of the map without exiting the map/instance or slowing down your clear speed.

Another point to consider is the HP to potion charge ratio, divine pots gain very little HP bonus from the extra 5 charges it consumes, this translates into less efficient potion usage.

The general rule of thumb I use is:
1x Heal over time potion(with high HP/sec rate)
1x Instant heal(bubbling seems to work better than seething, since it offers additional heal over time after the instant heal)
Any extra HP pots you add will be an instant heal pot(bubbling)

For utility pots, I carry 2 quicksilvers to be able to move through maps quickly constantly.
One to remove bleed, the other for freeze, these 2 pots are pretty mandatory in most situations, but you can replace them in boss encounters or maps if they do not have the particular type of debuff.

Granite is pretty self explanatory, since this build does not have much defences, your only defence against heavy physical attacks is granite + arctic armour combo. You can use the granite and run in the middle of a room and convocate your minions in depending on the mobs present.

*Update
Currently, I'm using taste of hate instead of granite due to the update in ascendancy with 9% additional physical reduction for having 9 zombies. Together they provide more physical mitigation overall.

Gear

[2.2] Look for a helm with 20% reduced convocation recharge for more utility.

Sideboard gems (Used to replace existing gems in certain scenarios)

-Replace faster casting or minion damage with this in physical reflect maps. Evangelists only

-Replace Vulnerability when in physical reflect map

-Replace added fire when in high projectile maps(GMP/Chain). Evangelists only

-Replace minion damage for this in really bad maps where the zombies get cleared instantly. Zombies only.

-Seldom use this, but can be useful against high attack/cast speed mobs

-Used to replace desecrate and/or arctic armour depending on the situation
-Arctic armour is useless against elemental bosses(eg. piety/dominus so replace it with a vaal gem of your choice
-Remember to charge the souls before the boss fight!

Original chest of this build, just add reduced mana to purity + clarity. Probably sacrifice desecrate or something, you get about 600-700ish mana or more depending on your gear. Increases survivability quite a bit, if pure DPS isn't your thing. Or if you're intending to play HC league.

Links

Spectres - Evangelists
Pre 2.2
4L - Increased AOE + Concentrated Effect + Minion Damage or Echo
5L - Increased AOE + Concentrated Effect + Minion Damage + Echo
6L - Increased AOE + Concentrated Effect + Minion Damage + Echo + Faster Casting/Added Fire
7L - Increased AOE + Concentrated Effect + Minion Damage + Echo + Faster Casting + Added Fire
Last edited by KenXtreme on May 16, 2016, 9:55:23 PM
Last bumped on May 28, 2016, 6:43:27 AM
holy sh~ dat wuz even faster than my mjollnir (Dommi)...

Summys are back?
ign:
Perandus SC: Chthonian_ 87+ flamme totam x2
GIMP_shdw, shadow 90+ clawtank
_FIRE_IN_THE_HOLE_, witch 96+ mjollnir
*Update*
-Added more Q&A info
-Added passive tree 50pts - 115pts
-Added Gem links 4L to 7L
-Added 2 more vids

Extremely relevant to my interest, thank you for this.
Hey fantastic build thank you for posting! My end game build is slightly different to yours because of one item:

If you used an Alpha's Howl, then your Hatred, Haste and Generosity gems will get your effect from the +2 level gems and your passive tree can also save a few points from the mana reservation (you no longer need the points from Harrier to Charisma but can get Expertise if you need Dexterity).

But yeah great build thanks again for posting!
"78 palace double beyond"

Its courtyard, not palace :)
IGN: MsAnnoyance
Also, it seems you do not use hatred/haste, at least on the videos, so probably replace gems on helm with "increased duration - vaal haste - vaal haste", that gonna increase clearing speed a lot.
IGN: MsAnnoyance
Last edited by qquno on Apr 9, 2015, 9:31:49 AM
"
Mivvi wrote:
Hey fantastic build thank you for posting! My end game build is slightly different to yours because of one item:

If you used an Alpha's Howl, then your Hatred, Haste and Generosity gems will get your effect from the +2 level gems and your passive tree can also save a few points from the mana reservation (you no longer need the points from Harrier to Charisma but can get Expertise if you need Dexterity).

But yeah great build thanks again for posting!

Interesting idea! Might have to test it out.

However, sacrificing HP and resists on a helm slot would strain my build pretty hard, unless I can get really good unset rings with resists, probably viable if I can get more resists(I overcap resists to be able to tank map elemental weakness(-34%)

"
qquno wrote:
"78 palace double beyond"

Its courtyard, not palace :)

Ah, thanks for pointing it out! Updated :D

"
qquno wrote:
Also, it seems you do not use hatred/haste, at least on the videos, so probably replace gems on helm with "increased duration - vaal haste - vaal haste", that gonna increase clearing speed a lot.

Hmm, I believe thats because I'm using generosity with both of them, so I do not get the "buff icon" from the 2 auras. Currently do not have space for vaal haste unless I instant snapshot it with my desecrate gem.
"
KenXtreme wrote:
Interesting idea! Might have to test it out.

However, sacrificing HP and resists on a helm slot would strain my build pretty hard, unless I can get really good unset rings with resists, probably viable if I can get more resists(I overcap resists to be able to tank map elemental weakness(-34%)

That's very true. However, you can focus on HP and resists on your ring slots (those stats are not too difficult to come by in my opinion) and you can use the extra points for HP/resists in the passive tree if necessary. I use these two rings instead of unset rings because I feel that I don't use desecrate unless I'm summoning minions and everything dies too quickly for me to use its damage aspect.

(the fire resist ring can definitely be upgraded ^^)

Also, I picked up EE in my passive tree since the minions are doing a lot of both cold and fire damage, the Arc that I am casting will have a great impact on the resists of monsters. Especially since EE is just one point away!

Edit: you have actually picked up EE - great minds think alike ;)
Last edited by Mivvi on Apr 9, 2015, 8:47:13 PM
"
Mivvi wrote:

Edit: you have actually picked up EE - great minds think alike ;)

xd - becoming megalomaniac over common game knowledge? lmao
#31 of Rampage League after 7 days played.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info