[1.3] Daze (Arc-Stun)

This Build called Daze revolves around stunning targets with the spell Arc.

During the time left in the bloodlines/torment leagues I'm going to find the limits of Daze.

Purpose will be to run it in the upcomming HC monthly league that combines Torment & Bloodlines. (March 25 -> April 22)

Introduction

To introduce this build to you, I give you a summary of Pro's and Con's versus the classic resolute technique mace marauder;

+ Greater Range and 360' degree angles with Arc versus the cone shaped ground slam.
+ Chance to crit
+ Build flexibility. For example: can run alot of aura's, lvl 20 AA, Lightning Warp.

- Maces (Tenderizer) have a steady damage range 4-6 versus the 1-10 type lightning spread.
- More Mace Skill nodes available to gain % reduced enemy stun treshold & duration.
- Mastercraft for second reduced enemy stun treshold available for mace attack damage.
- Extremely high Life & Armor

I'm liking this stun build alot. You lock down entire screens of monsters with chain stuns. The build flexibility leaves alot of room for exploring. You cannot go wrong with this one, trust me. So readup, learn all, steal all you can and make this build your own. That's part of the big fun of this game anyway; tweaking and making a build work with the means available to you.

At this time i'm running Shadow with a 5link Arc on Torment. It's my only character there, I have not chosen Shadow specifically. For sure Witch, Templar and Scion will be excellent choices, Heck even the Marauder is only 9 skill points away from a tree with Vaal Pact & Stun Mastery.

This is all budget, intending to run this character in the monthly HC combined torment & bloodlines league. Very budget indeed, since you can pickup casters weapons with %reduced stun treshold for a couple chaos, it's a RIP stat for other builds. Other usefull items are badly rolled facebreaker gloves that noboddy wants, or a studded belt that in current meta is completely out of favour. Since it's for the monthly and on a budget, I'm predominantly testing without over the top gear like 6Links. I might not even get to that phase in the new league.

Daze can be a highly valued party member since you stunlock the enemy and ontop of that Daze can run alot of aura's besides being able to shock, chill and freeze monsters. Yeah that's quite some list.

Of all the spells out there to link with a stun gem, Arc seems like an illogical choice. 1-10 damage spread versus 4-6 cold or fire dmg. High spread dmg might give unpredictable stuns, much undesired in any stun build. In practice you won't notice a thing. Shocked targets will make the dmg spread 2-15 and since your stun duration is longer then an echo'd cast, you get to roll two times 2-15, and besides that there's the chance to crit as well.

I've choosen Arc for the playstyle: Non target 360'degrees Ezmode. If you ever played Mace stun; remember how it sucked if the pack surrounds you and you have to reposition to get all of em back in your slam's cone effect area. Arc will just hit everything, keep casting, keep stunning. Arc only hits x times, but when the 10 chargers come at you, you just stun the first 5, they get over taken, you stun the next 5, etc etc. It feels like a ranger with the King of the Hill key skill node with a Crit shrine active. How's that for safety?
Arc is also perfect if you suck at clicking. Extra bonus is hitting targets while you or the monsters are desynced. Unfortunately, desynced monsters happen more often with stun builds.

In the remainder of this post you will find:
- What I've tested (for example my attempts to stun end game bosses)
- Wiki lore about Stun (Mechanics involved might be more complex then you think)
- Build variations with the highest chance of becomming a succes in the 1 month league

Feel free to post questions, corrections and anything else comming to mind.

I'm not infallible, I learn new things about PoE everyday, and half of that comes from reading and not playing.

So pls do!

Daze 1MHC

The Torment and Bloodlines Challenge Leagues will end in two weeks, at 10am NZ time on Tuesday March 24 (this is 2pm Pacific Time on Monday March 23, and that night in Europe). Carl has posted an article explaining what will happen to various league content after the leagues end. We will be running a One-Month Torment/Bloodlines League Event that starts the following day, lasting until April 22 (NZ time). There will be both a Standard and Hardcore version of this event, running simultaneously.

Character selection:
First character to choose will be one with the right gems from quests. Those are: Templar, Witch and Shadow. Since I've alrdy done Shadow on torment, i will choose another.

I'll start with 2 gem runners. I'd like to flameblast some, but will also like to start leveling Clarity and Arctic Armour early. (docks farm with AA ftw)

So i'll run two Shadow characters to Brutus for clarity and AA before leveling the main character. Not much time lost, and they'll bring in scrolls, potions (2x quicksilver), gear (2x coral, jade amulet, +1 gem level weapon) gems (firetrap, lightning tendrils, coldsnap, storm call)

We'll be running around with loads basic gems to be flexible towards any future gear drops, and won't be needing buying off other players, instead we'll be selling surplus gems.

All alchemy & chaos will be saved to roll gem cutters boxes when found.

I'll choose Templar to start as first main character. Mainly because of the option to run alot of armor while leveling; % Armor & available Str nodes.

Leveling gems i used:
Firetrap + Flameblast (took AoE skill nodes)
Searingbond + Firetrap + Flamblast (took holy fire skill node)
Searingbond + Firetrap + Arc
Lightning warp + firetrap + arc (dropped fire / ape skill nodes)

Daze Monthly HC lvl 31

Daze Monthly HC lvl 50

going decent :
2100 life 1273 armor, cap resists, mana regen 55 so cannot use AA yet.

Daze 1MHC lvl 60

gear is rock solid:
3374 life 2k armor, cap resists, mana regen 100, lvl 10 AA
still need a shock immmune topaz & 5L & spell echo

Daze Monthly HC lvl 75 Fully Operational

gear is GG:
4234 life 5,5k armor, cap resists (fire/light +40% for curse), mana regen 170, lvl 16 AA

- Fooling around with Vaal storm call. Might put it in the 6link to replace faster casting.
- Want some more fastcast on gear
- Need gloves +temporal chains on hit
- Need +1 max curse
- Got some armor, might have to lower it and go dual wield or just go for it and pickup more armor nodes.
- Still like to take inner force
- Manually take MoM or skip it and go Unwavering stance

TREE Daze Monthly HC lvl 76

New gear

went for ample +charges flasks because
has got reduced charges. can potion 3x before empty now.

Difficult Bloodlines Mods

Phy Link: Monsters won't be damaged, so won't be stunned
Necro: Monsters will be stunned and will not move away from the invincibility puddles.

R.I.P. lvl 81

So ran out of currency and went for the short cut.

No Double Curse, not rdy for end game mapping. Didnt have the temp chains on hit gloves. Entered Shrine and still went like a charm. 3 exiles stun locked and killed. Put Piety on 1% life and exited the map. Invited 4 peoples to pay for kill challange. Went back in.... the place completely full of blue portals. Somehow no minions in the middle where spawning, so i ran out of flasks. Yolo'd and got killed by the arrow dude.

Was a blast playing the monthly HC league. Good fun and Awesome challenge reward gained.

Everything you need to know about stun

credits to http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com & Reddit users

Most of the classic stun marauders use hatred, kinda supprises me this isn't common knowledge eventhough they don't crit with Resolute Technique.

Important questions i have are:
1) How much stun recovery do monsters have? how much of an effect will warlords mark have?
2) How is the chance to stun rolled from both arc & warlords? rolled 2 times? or just added and rolled once.?
3) In line of chill effect, could Tarred ground have a similar effect on stun?

Answer
1) Unknown
2) The chance to stun is added and only rolled once, with the prerequisite of meeting the stun treshold.
3) Unknown, but probably not.

Character selection & Skill Tree

These are the requirements for your skill tree:
-EB
-Inner Force (21%+)
-Shock duration (50%+)
-Vaal Pact
-Stun Mastery (whole wheel)
-Reduced mana reservation (take 2 out of 3 skill wheels)

Optional are:
- Unwavering Stance (3 pnt)
- Mind over Matter (7 pnt, or 6 pnt if you need mana nodes, or 5 pnt if you also need dex)
- Whispers of Doom (4 pnt for +1 additional curse)

For the different characters the basic requirements will "roughly" cost you:

Witch: 67 points
(64% life. 115% crit chance, 10% crit multi, 64% spell/ele dmg, 4% castspeed, 40% mana regen)
Templar: 65 points
(51% life, 0% crit chance, 0% crit multi, 101% spell/ele dmg, 7% castspeed, 40% mana regen)
Shadow: 67 points
(44% life, 20% crit, 0% multi, 76% spell/ele dmg, 0% cast, 60% manaregen)
Marauder: 57 points
(41% life, 0% crit, 0% multi, 0% spell/ele dmg, 0% cast, 40% manaregen)
Scion: 50 points
(25% life, 0% crit, 0% multi, 0% spell/ele dmg, 0% cast, 60% manaregen)

That's all pretty close, choose whatever you like. Small differences, for example: If you plan on using added chaos damage I'd suggest take Witch for more % spelldamage (instead of % elemental damage). If you want the most % crit take shadow or witch. If you like more % Armor take Marauder or Templar. Want the most flexibility? take scion. Classic choices.

Gear Requirements

As you know now, for Daze to be able to stun, it needs

[Arc Damage] ballanced with [Reduced enemy stun treshold]

* Those last percentages of reduced enemy stun treshold count for the most. i.e. Upgrading your effective treshold from 75% to 87,5% will allow you do have the same number of stuns with only half the damage. This means we have to grab all recourses possible to to max it out. Those recourses are:
- 30% 2x One handed weapon
- 15% belt
- 49% lvl 20 Stun gem
- 10% Stun mastery notable passive skill
- 5% passive skill
- 10% face breaker gloves

(will be looking for more sources, as of now, i know only these)

For a grand total of 119% (92% effective reduced enemy stun treshold)

92% is barely anough for the biggest boss around Dominus, so you need some decent damage as well. This means for this build to be anywhere near to a succes, you will have to take almost all the sources. If you're going to take all, you get nerfed by no shield & a long tree trip down to the bottum duelist/marauder.

(Found another source: Endurance Charge on Melee Stun: Per 1% Quality 1% increased Stun Duration on enemies---x% reduced Enemy Stun Threshold. but needs to be linked to a melee attack skill.)

After testing, i've found it too hard/expensive to be able to shock/stun Dominus. So not gonna bother to spec/gear up for that. Henceforth I'll use a sweet spot for allround purpose: 85% effective Reduced enemy stun tresh hold. Roughly 90% reduced enemy stun tresh hold. This means you can drop 2x 15% from the sources mentioned above. This sweet spot will be my bench mark for future testing.

Increased stun duration might determine your choice:
-100% stun duration from the skill wheel.
-60% (give or take) stun duration from your belt.
You don't want to drop both of them.

that will leave facebreakers / sceptre / shield to play around with. Or you can add stun duration with a rare one handed weapon or even a two handed mace (second 5/6L ?!?), and then all options are open again. See here the nature of the build! All roads lead to Rome, and then you discover there's tunnels below it as well.

[Cast speed] ballanced with [Increased stun duration]
* To be able to chain stun, obviously the target has to be stunned long anough for your next arc to hit it again. High cast speed is also needed for you to be able to stun the monsters before they react to your precense. That's what I call the first strike capability. Hit the monsters before they hit you, and they get stunned, so they will never lay a hand on you.

Stun duration is a flat base of 350ms. This cannot be increased by doing more dmg, just by duration modifiers and after that muliplied by your temporal chains slow %. I do not know how much stun recovery monsters have, so I do not know how much an infuence Warlord's mark will have. So besides the unknown reduced enemy stun recovery there's anough reasons to take the gem anyways (life/mana leech, endurance charges, stun chance increase).

So if your stun duration is around 1 second, and with temporal chains that'll be around 1,3+ seconds, your cast speed needs to be well below that. This is tuned more by just testing it yourself then running the numbers. Take what you feel is a comfortable duration of your stun.

Curses will play a key role in the build development.
Since specializing in too many fields will cripple your character, I'm planning on running 2 curses. The choices are:

Increase the stun chance / duration with:
- Temporal Chains (Other effects on Cursed enemies expire 40% slower, i.e. stuns)
- Warlords Mark (Cursed enemies have an additional x% chance to be Stunned & Cursed enemies have x% reduced Block and Stun Recovery)

Or simply increase the stun chance with more damage:
- Elemental weakness
- Assasin's Mark

I favor curses with cast when damage taken. This because the arc linked to curse on hit is so much slower, and it might not be faster then speedy monsters.

Curse on hit will take more sockets, a socket that could otherwise be used for an aura or vaal haste, whatever.

To speed up your Curse on hit and or make it triple, you can always put your stunning Arc in a 4Link, to free up your 5/6L chest or you can use a 2 handed mace.

Sources for +1 additional curse used:
- Ring: Doedre's Damning
- Boots: Windscream boots

Other options:
- Skill node: Whispers of Doom (closeby in tree)
- Amulet: Vaal orbed

Although lower speed reduction and expensive to craft/buy,
a much bigger uptime of temporal chains curse has major advantages,
besides saving a gem socket.
Science

Darn expensive. I'm used to vaaling amulets/quivers. Perhaps i shouldn't have tried to soc / colour/ link them. Vendored the rares, god knows how many. Perhaps if there was a LLD season going on, the +1 gems might sell for something.

bought
and learned even with the wrong colours they are damn good. Was able to sell some of my failed science. Will have to keep scouting the new league for them gloves for sale. If they roll white sockets they might even be ok combination of colors.

Rolled a couple more gloves and finally got one:
that i wanted, awesome.

#Note: Herald of Thunder, the on shocked kill effect, applies temporal chains on hit.

Gems

5L) ARC-Stun-Faster Casting-Spell Echo-Lightning Penetration # #a
6L) options: Added Cold, Life Leech #b

3L) Lightning Warp-Reduced Duration-Faster Casting

4L) CWDT-Increased duration-Enduring Cry-Immortal Call

4L) Herald of Ice-Herald of Thunder-Life Leech-Reduced Mana #c #d

3L) Clarity-Purity of Lightning-Reduced mana

3L) CWDT-Warlord's Mark-Temporal Chains #e

Other options:
Purity of Fire & Purity of Ice
Third curse: Enfeeble or Assasin's mark or Elemental Weakness

Loose sockets:
Arctic Armour
Vaal Haste

# option: Use Lifeleech instead of stun for trash (considering you don't need that much treshold & duration for those monsters), then swap the stun gem back in when you kill the boss. (think about unexpected elemental reflect from Unid or Zana Map)
#a If you can get anough fastcast from gear, be keen to drop Faster Casting gem for something else.
#b Added cold will increase your ability to chill and freeze. Chill has a positive effect on stun duration.
#c Herald of Ice (on kill effect AoE) is a killer, beware of elemental reflect when your damage is high. This will force you to take vaal pact and a lifeleech gem.
#d Herald of Thunder with lifeleech compensates for no life regen from Vaalpact. (Think about running around a map with desecrate puddles, and with leech you'll be able to start fights with a full life pool without using potions)
#e You'll be aiming to get a pair of corrupted gloves with temporal chains on hit.

Extra Note: Purity aura's will be able to give you 7% maximum resist with 70% increased effect from aura and inner force skill nodes. That's 9% maximum resist with a level 23 gem.

Daze (version1: MoM, VP, EB, AA)

So here's the first version of Daze using Mind over Matter. I usually kept like 700-800 unreserved mana during testing. You'll probably want to run 1500-2000 unreserved on HC though.

Video Daze v1 on Courtyard Map

Gem Links

5) Arc+Stun -Faster Casting, Spell Echo, Lightning Penetration

3) Lightning Warp- Reduced duration, Faster Casting
3) CWDT- Warlord' s Mark, Temporal Chains

4) CWDT- Increased duration, enduring cry, Immortal Call
4) Herald of Ice & Herald of thunder- Life Leech, Reduced Mana
3) Clarity & Purity of Lightning -Reduced mana

Loose sockets:
Arctic Armour
Vaal Haste

My Shadow on Torment

Daze (version 2: VP, EB, AA, US)

Second version of Daze. Without Mind over Matter. It has less critical strike chance, but way more life and Unwavering Stance. Going to run this version as Templar in the monthly. Will skip the shadow side of the tree and probably take some Armor %.
(getting ready for the rumoured but inevitable CWDT-IC rip nerf)

Video Daze v2 (Tanky) on Courtyard Map

Video Daze v2 (Pewy) on Courtyard Map

Gem Links

5) Arc+Stun -Faster Casting, Spell Echo, Lightning Penetration +Loosesocket

3) Lightning Warp- Reduced duration, Faster Casting
3) CWDT- Warlord' s Mark +Loose socket

4) CWDT- Increased duration, enduring cry, Immortal Call
4) Herald of Ice & Herald of thunder- Life Leech, Reduced Mana
4) Clarity & Purity of Lightning & Purity of fire-Reduced mana

Loose sockets:
Arctic Armour
Vaal Haste

My Shadow on Torment

*** Testing Done & Work in Progress ***

Although you can't go wrong with any form of party support Daze, the finetuning of this build is complex. Since support Daze has the highest chance to yield a decent build, i will follow that route first. Also the goal will be a HC viable build. So there can be no danger whatsoever to reflect kill yourself.

-Currently working on possibility to get some Armor & Endurance charges at the cost of crit & cwdt-immortal call

-Gotta try spell totem. They where always so squishy...well if they stun everything they won't die that quick, close to double totem skill node too.

Previous testing done in 5 steps

I'm going to break down my testing in a number of steps.

Test written with a number will have a video in the collection spoiler
and gear in the gear spoiler below.

Step I: What is the limit of stun in relation to end game bosses

Hopefully this will allow me to asses how to approach the ballance:
[Arc DMG] versus [%Reduced stun treshold]
This will in turn determine gear & skill tree options.

Test 1,2,3
conclusions so far:
- Low dmg but decent stun treshold will enable you to stun all non-bosses. Exceptions are high lightning resisting monsters and ofcourse plain stun immune monsters.
- Without facebreakers I was not able to shock/stun Piety and Dominus.
- With Facebreakers I was able to shock Piety.
- With Facebreakers my critical damage went up from 240% to 330%. The freeze/chill effect on trash mobs really started to play up. I definitly like this level of damage (9-10k tooltip). Elemental reflect was no problem; i.e. you can no longer spam a button while on the phone, you do need to use pots.
- I can stun bosses on academy, shipyard and courtyard, but cannot stun lock them 100%.

work to be done:
Will boost the multiplier up in further testing to 380% critical strike multiplier.
Will increase the damage and stun treshold until i see some more results on Piety & Dominus. After that determine if it was worth the tradeoff versus survivability.

Test 4 conclusions so far:
Progress made!
Finally shocked and stunned Piety on shrine, not completely locked, but the AI went bonkers: Piety was running around like a headless chicken. Mission accomplished here.

Shocked dominus with a rare few stuns. Work needs to be done before i reliably can shock/stun dominus. For a stun I need to shock, and for a shock i need to crit with a decent dmg roll. Easiest way to fix might be to increase the shock duration.

Negative side effects:
-from getting tripple curse was my mana. I had very little spare mana, so I couldn't run too far before my pool was empty disabling my arctic armour.
-Once you stun lock a monster it is usually no longer able to trigger your CWDT. And thus the lockdown ends when the curses expire.

Can't do much more dmg on trash because of reflect.
Possible solutions are:
- Could have 2 setups: lower damage for trash monsters and high pewpew for boss kills.
- Do have to look into vaalpact / added chaos gem (6L?). Vaal pact is right on my current skill tree route. GG, first time for everything.

Test 5 conclusions so far:
Finally shocked and stunned Dominus. Far from lockdown, or disrupting AI.
For this to happen:
-I respecced +60% increased shock duration.
-Zana nerfed Palace to a 76 map.

My new curse setup was:
CWDT- Temporal Chains (I did not want to risk spending 500 chromatic orbs to get elemental weakness / warlord's mark in here)
Curse on Hit- Warlords Mark--Elemental weakness.

The dilemma:
- Curse on Hit Arc doesn't have the cast speed for good first strike capability; i.e. hit the trash mobs and stun em before they stun you. So you only have this for bosses.
- I rather have tempchains & warlord's Mark on the curse on hit for bosses.
- The CWDT-warlords mark setup lost, while it was so nice versus elemental reflect. Stunned reflecting mobs would still trigger it.
- Losing enduring cry in the Immortal call setup was a pain.

So in short: You can stun Dominus, but you need more dmg. I don't wanna go to the route of glass cannon, so the limit of the build is reached. Not that it's not ever gonna lock down dominus.... you will just need another source, like Elemental equilibrium from a party member, or very high dmg gear you swap into just before boss fight (it'll be a new league start, so that's not gonna happen).

This means we loose stuns on dominus but gain in other fields. For all round purpose I'm gonna aim for these numbers:

- Drop the stun treshold down to 90%, roughly 85% effective stun treshold. I will use that as a future benchmark for all build variations.
- 60% increased Shock duration is there to stay.
- 150+% increased stun duration (that's without modifying with temporal chains or warlord's mark)

If I can reach these numbers in the monthly but the stuns are not satisfying, I will just fight in lower level area's instead of trying to increase dmg at the cost of survivability.

Step 2: What do I need to actually shock end game bosses?

Dominus (Palace) proved to be the toughest cookie. After that came Piety (Shrine).

Dominus seems to have a truckload of life. The minimum duration a shock can have is 300ms. This means you have to do about 1.09% of the targets max life in damage without any duration modifiers to cause a shock. In this case that seems to be a good roll of roughly 3.000-3.500, critting, for somewhere around 12,000-13,500 lightning damage. with then 60+% shock duration. Pretty crude calculations done, and I'm still missing some factors like elemental weakness on a boss (diminished effect of curses) and inner force hidden bonus to the heralds... so we can safely round it up to 15,000 dmg with 60+% shock duration. Heck it might be somewhere around 25,000-30,000 flat non shock duration damage.

The other bosses are a whole different story, they can get shocked and stunned much easier. Shipyard boss can be locked without curses.... but he hasn't hurt anyone since he got hit by the nerf stick a long time ago.

Good thing is this build can tank the vanilla dmg (no extra dangerous map mods) of Dominus. Both lightning and physical ("Touch of God!" etc excluded ofcourse). Some armor is needed though, else the bleed will hurt too much.

Step 3: How to curse monsters.

There are so many options. Double or Tripple curse. Curse on hit or Cast when damage taken. This character cannot apply curses manually, since you want to lockdown the enemy on first sight. Good options are: [Temporal Chains] [Conductivity] [Elemental Weakness] [Warlords Mark] [Assasin's Mark]
This will determine the number of sockets available for aura's.

To be able to curse on hit, we only have a 4Link available. That means 2 curses, and no extra cast speed gem. Handy for Piety and really good for Dominus, not needed for all else.

I like the "first strike" capability on this build. You hit so fast, and so hard, you stun, and the fight is over, the monsters are unable to retaliate.

Most fitting will be to use CWDT.
First choice will be Warlord's Mark.
-It will help counter the elemental reflect.
-gain endurance charges
-the increased stun chance will make you reach possible stun and 100% chance to stun much easier.
-for the future: mana leech synerchy with mind over matter.

Second choice will be Temporal chains.
- Negative is the elemental weakness will be more of team player.But in a party the CWDT won't trigger that much anyway. And the curses aren't needed to lock down trash mobs, you just want to hit em first.

So we kinda don't need a third curse. then we happily skip that and pickup some more survival gear.

Everything is possible though, don't let this stop you from equipping a 5Linked Hrimnor's Hymn (80%-90% increased Stun Duration on enemies & 15% reduced Enemy Stun Threshold) or some rare two handed mace with stun dura, treshold, and crit multiplier and what not. Or you can link your stun arc in a 4L dropping lightning penetration orso, leaving the chest links for your curse on hit. I would personally only use curse on hit what i can link it to fastercasting or with much more fastcast on gear/skills.

Step 4: testing MoM & VaalPact

After testing (6) going to tweak the build to

- Cloak of defiance (skill node would take 7 skill points to reach, so 6 points if i respec a 30 dex node, atm i don't want to do that, because it would cost me the templar side of the tree)
- Using facebreakers.
- Replacing windscream for raindbow stride (could also take mana regen goldwyrm boots)
- 700/800 unreserved mana. (that's about the mana dmg I take from big hits in testing)Running abit less (668) will see how it goes.
- Double curse by CWDT-Warlordsmark-TemporalChains

I now have one free green socket, will test a manual cast temporal chains or vaal haste.
If I get a 6link, that would be the spot where arctic armour would go, else i'd need to use an unset ring.

my reduced enemy stun treshold= 47 gem + 15 sceptre +10 face + 14 belt + 15 skillpoints=101%
So i'm 11% above the sweet spot benchmark of 90%. The 101% will give 88% effective enemy stun treshold.

I could later decide to replace the facebreakers for more life & mana. Can always swap it out for elemental weakness maps. Might be the perfect piece of gear to swap in for bosses, and out for trash monsters with possbile elemental reflect while still keeping above the sweet spot in reduced enemy stun treshold.

Done test run 7.
-The mom build ran very smooth. Stun on bosses was acceptable. Trash got stunned good; stunlocked a Rare earth elemental with extra resis & extra resist aura & EE & Endurance charges. Unwavering monsters activate Tempchains & Warlords mark, and will be a small threat. Nemesis for this build will be unwavering & curse immune & elemental reflect. So that will only be 1 monster a rare, or a pack of champion on an unlucky mapmods on an UNID or Zana map. (you'll reroll otherwise)

-AA did not go out by lack of mana.

-Since i've dropped Purity of Ice for the unreserved mana, cold reflect is an issue. The big AoE cold explosion is a ripper. Tried with facebreaker and the only thing saving me where the Map mods EE and Endurance charges (causing my damage to be lower). I tried swapping out the facebreakers for rare gloves, but still the reflect maps hurt with cold. Lightning reflect is mannageble. So for reflect maps gotta turn off herald of ice to be safe. So if you're running around on non reflect maps, a pack of reflect monsters activating big ice explosions can rip you. Either run purity of ice instead of purity of fire, or run around without the facebreakers, and wear it for bosses. Will run around with Sapphire flasks some more. Vaal pact will only be a solution, if you link herald of ice with lifeleech, cause you cannot trust warlord's mark to be up when applied to targets with the CWDT gem. This will increase the mana reservation.

-My mana didn't drop alot on any reflect damage taken. Weird, i thought i'd see alot more MoM in action there.

-Dominus with EE and Endurance charges took too long to kill without facebreakers.

Further testing:

- Try out elemental reflect with Purity of Ice.
- Try out elemental reflect without Herald of Ice.
- Kill map trash without facebreakers and see how many times "the stars align" for dangerous situations.

test run 8 done, without facebreakers.
- Tried out reflect & Purity of Ice. I choose a 66 map to get good chance of exploding frozen monsters. Purity of Ice helped alot, but I kinda hate to loose purity of fire. Fire is a dangerous element, and sucha nice combo with arctic armour. Purity of Ice still not bullit proof, and you gotta press 2 flasks then, a Topaz & Sapphire before the dmg comes.

- Tried out reflect & No herald of Ice. Just bursting away without hitting a topaz doesn't kill you, unless you fall asleep behind the steering wheel.

Conclusion:
- If you gonna run elemental reflect map turn off your herald of ice. Turn it on for boss fights without minions.
- If you suddenly encounter an elemental reflect rare, press your sapphire flask first.

A new question has arrived.... do I really want to run herald of ice? Why you want to freeze/chill monsters when they are stun locked..... The unwavering monsters aren't that scary unless they are curse immune and somehow reflecting. The arctic armour will chill them too. Perhaps we're better off without the herald of Ice completely. The extra damage is nice, but no longer really needed.

Further testing:

- Using a lower level of Herald of Ice might be a wise choice too. Gonna check if a lvl 10-15 orso still causes some chills freezes.
- Kill map trash without facebreakers and see how many times "the stars align" for dangerous situations.

Test 9-10 done.
A low level herald isn't really gonna help on the chill freeze department. Although all dmg boosts too arc are nice.

A loose manual curse is handy. Templchains tried.

Test 11
Have taken Vaal pact.
Tried on reflect maps, and the mana pool is taking a beating. Lovely to see the synerchy with MoM & Warlord's Mark mana leech.

Defenitely safe for reflect this way. Lost purity of fire in the process, because i linked Herald of Ice to Lifeleech.

Added Herald of Lightning as well, might be nice to replace life regen with abit of leech from beams on shocked kill effect.

Conclusion:
Levelup with low level herald of Ice as optional. If you do run high lvl: Face the consequences; walk around with mitigation factors:
-Sapphire flask
-Purity of Ice
-low crit multiplier.

Did see alot of Mana pool action, i gotta rewatch the dried lake testing and wonder why i didn't see the big hits taken by mana there.
Ok I've watched it back, and the mana was taking big big hits, It was just less visible because of 700 unreserved mana versus a total pool of 4k mana.

Will make first Daze build version with MoM & Vaal Pact.
Made second Daze build version without MoM

worked on survivability and play style.
-With Vaal pact it's hard to see how much damage you take.
-Will run some unwavering maps to see how to play casual when you suddenly run into cannot be stunned monsters.

conclusions: I Just picked up bad habbits on softcore, yolo warp into packs blasting around. While good fun, i gotta concentrate more to keep it hardcore style. Unwavering not a problem as long as you spot them in time. Phyl lync bloodlines mod will be like unwavering since they don't take any dmg to get stunned.

worked on Corrupted gloves with Temporal chains on hit.(test 15/16)
-The dream would be: tempchains on hit & CWDT-warlords & assasin's mark.
I like to get some more critical strike chance.

Unfortunately i dont have the sockets. bought a corrupted for 2ex 20c on torm, OP, end league, but in comparison that would be like 8ex start HC league... so this is out of budget.

conclusion:
Definitely worth every orb. This so fits the "first strike capability" i talked earlier about. This is mega stuff.

Spend some more orbs and vaaled one with the right colors! oooo yeah!

Added cold chilled very good. herald of ice doesn not produce anough cold damage for arc to chill effectively. I worked with a 5L so I dropped the faster casting gem. This could be a viable option for a 6th link if you have anough fastcast from other sources. Be carefull not to overreach. It's nice for trash to see more ice shatter, but remains to be seen if really needed.

Step 5: Choosing Skill Tree options & characters

Skill tree options: Mind Over matter (COD?), Vaal pact, Power charges, Fending (knockback)

At this time I'm running Shadow. My only character on torment. Might not prove to be ideal, but good anough for testing.

gear

Test 1, 2, 3 (Facebreakers, 240-340% crit multi, cwdt 2 curse

Test 4 (Facebreakers, 380% crit multi, cwdt 3 curse

Test 6 (MoM, cloak of defiance)

Test 14 (second build version No MoM, high crit multi)

Test 14 (Tempchains on hit)

Test 17 (Added cold gem & Tempchains on hit)

Spoiler
Spoiler
@Minstrelshadrak
Last edited by MinstrelShadrak on Mar 30, 2015, 4:58:52 PM
This build is fully operational!
@Minstrelshadrak
Interesting concept, i like it. Maybe next league i Will try something similar with Scion or Witch.
hAve you tried any other skills?
"
MoonnieDarko wrote:
Interesting concept, i like it. Maybe next league i Will try something similar with Scion or Witch.
hAve you tried any other skills?

Tried a few, but liked the 360' area from Arc most.

Need to shock the biggest targets -> to stun the biggest targets. So for other dmg type's, will need added lighting damage support gem (6L), frost nova?

This is all kept very budget, to start a new league.

edit: Fire Spell & The Three Dragons Golden Mask to shock?
@Minstrelshadrak
Last edited by MinstrelShadrak on Mar 13, 2015, 11:33:44 AM
Stun is an underrated aspect of the game for sure, and I'm glad to see people using Facebreakers other than punching people with them. Try vaaling a few for that sweet ele weakness/temp chains on hit as well, so you can save on links elsewhere. Curses go a long way towards helping shock/stun as you've found, but you could also consider using an increased duration Vaal Lightning Trap to keep enemies shocked (and if they're stunned, they can't move from the shocking ground). In my opinion, this is slightly more reliable than having to crit in order to shock in order to stun (except against fast moving/high aoe enemies that can destroy the traps).
pretty cool to see stun being used, nice job
and lots of detailled explanations
I hate the lab

SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216
Last edited by Xanin on Mar 13, 2015, 9:35:14 PM
"
Schaller wrote:
Try vaaling a few for that sweet ele weakness/temp chains on hit as well, so you can save on links elsewhere.

Cheers for that, added it in the guide.

"
Schaller wrote:
but you could also consider using an increased duration Vaal Lightning Trap to keep enemies shocked, this is slightly more reliable than having to crit in order to shock in order to stun

I love Vaal lightning trap, especially in non lightning builds. Really one of the most underrated gems.

Arc has 36% chance to shock non crit. There's no need for another source, If you read about the problems i had in testing, it was because of the target being a Shrine Map Piety or Palace Map Dominus. This was solved by taking more shock duration.
@Minstrelshadrak
Hey, regarding shock, look at this:
This build is outdated but the guide can have valuable information i think
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/792262

"
MoonnieDarko wrote:
Hey, regarding shock, look at this:
This build is outdated but the guide can have valuable information i think
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/792262

Ah yeah, will make something concerning shock and put it in the stun wiki section.
@Minstrelshadrak
What about adding the 3 knockback nodes? How about replacing lightning pen and use PCOC and 2 additional power charges - then you can use Warlords and temp chains as the 2 curses.

Fee Fi Fo Fum Horn on the Drum....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info