[1.3.x] Windripper Drillneck TS ele crit farming

Hi. This version is a more balanced approach to Mathil's original spec (see http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/870140 for original build).

Don't get me wrong, Mathil's spec is very good. But it felt to me as it was lacking defence. Especially when one cannot hit those max DPS numbers with maxed out gems and stuff to kill things really fast and be relatively safe by doing so. This version is more balanced in terms of offence / defence and opens some gear options to tweak it further. It also introduces Drillneck into the spec.

I know Your (Neversink) is currently working on a similar spec and It will be intresting to see his version in the near future.

That said, here's mine:

Lvl 77 Shipyard with 6 Rogue Exiles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGDCVcOMCU0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Core items:

Outside of that u need at least +250 accuracy rating from your other items.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

110 points passive tree:

Compared to the original Mathil's Ranger tree at 110 points this gives:

Spoiler

+19% more life
+74% more evasion
+40% additional chance to dodge attacks
+30% chance to dodge spell damage
+4% more accuracy rating
+10% more crit chance
+40% pierce chance
+97% pierce chance with pierce gem
+35% more proj dmg from tree alone
+75% more proj dmg with just Drillneck and icreased crit damage gem
+132% more proj dmg with Drillneck and pierce gem
+60 more dex
no vall pact, using quality LGoH and have some life regen

At a cost of:

-20% less aura buff
-8% less movement speed (but we get ignored penalty from armour)
-20 less life gain on kill (but we have life gain on hit with arrow piercing)
-20 less int (not a problem)
-36% less crit damage
-18% less attack speed

As for attack speed - I've tested it and I don't feel like you're gaining anything than tooltip DPS when above 2,7 attacks per second. You will fire more often, yes, but with allredy that amount of APS this is really unnecessary. What does matter is dmg per shot. And as far as this one goes trade offs are:

-36% less crit damage
-20% less aura buff
vs
+75% proj dmg

So no big deal here. And the overall gain is much more defences through increased life, eva, dodge and spell dodge. And if you really mis that attack speed, at a cost of 2 more point this can be reduced to only 6% difference (just go through Quickstep to duelist area).

This build can be done with 2 different body armour, boots and gem sets, giving you even more defence or offence as needed.

Set 1 (even more defence):
Spoiler

Ideally 6l Queen of the forest. This armour and boots synergises well with the tree. When equipped gives resistance, life but more important - tons of movement speed and evasion. Lifting your overall chance to evade well above 50% mark. 16% more chance to dodge spells is an icing on the cake. This combined with the rest of defence mechanics gives monsters (and bosses) really hard time to score a hit on you.

With this gear setup you will feel safe. And I mean safe. Power charges in this setup can be obtained via Assasin's Mark, but even without them you will hit 62-65% chance to crit. In this setup I recommend using:

Tornado Shot + GMP + Blood magic + Weapon ele dmg + Quality Life gain on hit + Pierce

Set 2 (more offence):

Spoiler

Ideally 6l Voll's Protector plus tri res boots with some life. In this scenario you're specing into power charges and this armour will give you perma power charges boosting your overall crit chance to the mid 80's. In this setup I recommend using:

Tornado Shot + GMP + Blood magic + Weapon ele dmg + Life leech + Quality Increased crit damage and spec into Val Pact as ele reflect might become a problem at this point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical vs Elemental Tornado Shot:

With my physical TS spec I was using Your's build (see this exelent guide if you managed to miss it somehow: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1041989) with medicore 6l Harbinger that I managed to put together myself (its for sale now btw):

On the other hand with my current ele spec my aura gems are far from max lvl. So, comparing things as they are, as far as clearing speed goes phys vs ele spec - with my low rolled Windripper - it feelt the same on bosses and rares but faster on thrash. With both bows my tooltip DPS with Tornado shot was 12,5k per projectile. So nothing fancy here but enough. What is a hidden bonus here is an addition of shock status from ele spec. With given crit chance and good ammount of your dmg being ligtning you will shock A LOT. And this boosts your overall dmg by another 50%. On the other hand - you will encounter ele resitance mobs, especially bosses. Thus on bosses most of the time I felt little to now difference between phys spec and ele spec. But... with Windripper another thing you gain is almost constant 25% item quantity and 50% item rarity. And this alone might be a reason to switch to the ele version of Tornado Shot.

Pierce vs Increased critical damage support gems:

This one is pretty simple. If you're not specing into power charges and your overall crit chance is below 65% - use pierce. Ability to rip through packs with every single arrow, spreading your shock status is really amazing.

If planing to use Voll's and hit at least 75% crit chance with power charges up - use quality crit damage. You will not pierce that often but overall damage increase will be more than worth the change. And still with my tree and Drillneck pierce chance will be set at 40% giving you at least some pierce.

Why Drillneck?

One can say - if use increased crit damage gem instead of pierce you will gain "only" 40% proj damage. You might gain more from a rare quiver. Well not quite. Drillneck grants also attack speed, flat phys dmg and 350 evasion for this build, witch scales beautifly with the passives. If going for Voll's and crit chance with power charges - than yes you can swap Drillneck for a rare quiver, but it must be a really good one. With lots of crit multi, crit chance, maybe attack speed and good amount of life on top of it. I felt like Drillneck was more universal approach to the build.

Thx for reading. That's all at the moment.

Latest guides:
3.11 Loki's Rainbownuke:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2904155
3.7 CI CoC Discharge: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2605608
3.7 Juggernaut life Mjolner: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1846362
Last edited by RicoKGB on Mar 7, 2015, 10:04:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info