Random odd throughts

This is just a bunch of random questions that have been bugging me in some capacity for a while now.

1 whats with empower enhance and enlighten, specifically why were they built to be so much rarer , harder to level and gain a mauch greater bonus for vaal orbs than other support gems.

ignoring enlighten and enhance for a moment empower has considerable use in builds that lack many damage scalers but have good power gain between gem levels.

It seems to me like it is a giant middle finger to builds like say any minion build... explosive arrow , some spells etc that for some reason a core gem is an absolute bitch to level.

it would be like say on a crit build all the critical related skill gems took 3 times longer to level and their quality bonus was just to make them level faster. what is the point?

are they just luxury gems? again seems kind of lame when there are a bunch of builds with few gem options that are dependent on + skills source to have this gem artificially difficult to deal with.

I never really understood why summon skeletons has that 50% less elemental damage component.
Their dps is already the lowest of all the summons, but the reduced elemental damage just feels like adding salt to a wound.

3 why is haste so dex heavy? dex builds benefit the least from haste, if you are are a dex build attack speed is your bread and butter. you can easily have in excess 150- 200% faster attacks with a combination of the gem faster attacks , frenzy charges and just the large amount of attack speed nodes. point being you already have easy access to attack speed

for 60 clucking % reserved 16% increased attack / cast speed / movement speed is almost a hilarious joke.

if anything hatred makes more sense having the stupid 150+ dex req since dex builds tend to actually be physical.

4 why are determination and grace 60% auras? again neither grant a huge bonus without the presence of aura nodes not saying 40% is where they should but the current state of armor and evasion makes the piddly contributions these things give comical in many cases.

5 why does the duelist get so many darn melee damage on full life gems? he is so far away from ci and es related stuff it is of kind of weird..

6 I always wondered this but why not cycle some of the old temp league only unique items back into newer temp leagues. poe is losing and gaining players all the time. It seems like a wasted resource if we have around 50 or so perfectly fun unique items gated behind stupid things like chance walls and map mods that these new players will never really see the light of day for.

7 can some one make a minion instability animate guardian build? the dude can get around 20k life if you really really push the gems and i really want to see a build where he can do something remotely interesting.

Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Mar 2, 2015, 10:36:38 AM
2) is because it is extremely strong in an elemental set-up.

For reference look at animate weapon builds, they do something similar without the 50% less and totally wreck any content.

Downside being, they are limited by drops and have a cap because of that.

On the upside, added chaos damage is NOT an element (hint hint) :D.

7) sure its possible but does not warant the investment because it would be a slow play-style. With 20khp he is rarely gonna die which is counter productive for a MI build.

I tested this and the more potent you make your minions (on explosion damage) the more EHP they have and the less they die.

I agree with some other points, but i am sure GGG has a reasoning for them that we don't fully grasp.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
but skeletons are also slow.....

long summon time
slow move speed
slow attack speed (.93)
they path block each other
you need to recast them for every mob

they technically have half the dps of zombie each(which has less dps than srs)

and losing the good scaling from elemental means they scale horribly in comparison to other minions.

i doubt they would destroy much of anything. most of their attributes get in their own way.

sure they do the same damage as zombies if you include you can have more of them, but then path block means not all of them hit anyway.

sure you can cast them for every mob pack, but that gets in the way of better skills like ee curses and offering.

animate weapons can get around a minute and a half of duration with good ms , they are practically a quasi permanent minion.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Mar 2, 2015, 11:56:13 AM
Me and a mate did a theory-craft around this.

Bringer of rain + queens decree skeleton builds.

We D E S T R O Y E D content.

We literally did an echo + skeleton cast and moved on to the next pack of mobs. And everything got butchered behind us while we ran ahead.

Not sure what to tell you, but skeletons are very strong if build around.

Sure they deal less damage then zombie's/srs, but when you support them correctly you can mass spam them and reach more actual damage with them just by sheer numbers.

Peace,

-Boem-
well i happen to have a bbrr bor floating around , i shall give this build a shot, i am willing to be proved wrong
Enjoy, it ain't top-shelf potential, but it was a great and fun play-style if you dig summoners :).

And from reading your post('s) i think you dig.

We abandoned it at around lvl 70+- to try other stuff, but i am pretty sure if you really go for it you could make a dedicated skeleton build. Obviously a 6-link is gonna be better then BoR btw, we just used it since we try to come up with "cheap" builds all the time :).

Peace,

-Boem-

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info