Maximum Level League

This is probably going to net a lot of hate and flames but here goes (most likely) nothing.

I don't have a lot of patience for level grinding. I enjoy PoE's story and the unique skills system and I especially enjoy the wholly unique skill tree PoE has given us, but what I hate is how difficult build experimentation actually is. If you want to try some crazy build you need to run through three playthroughs to get to the top level, which means people like me, who enjoy making weird builds within games, have to invest a serious amount of time into levelling the character, time I (and possibly a large chunk of the playerbase) am unwilling to invest especially when reaching playthrough two and realising the build isn't nearly as awesome as you thought it was.

In the beta, for instance, I burned five or six characters because I went with weird builds and most of them didn't work, which meant starting a new character and going through the tutorials and the early levels time and again and it. Was. Not. Fun. For. Me.

Yes, I understand GGG's desire to keep pay-to-win out of the equation and I can understand why players might think this is a bad idea, but I just want a way to experiment without having blast through three playthroughs, without realising suddenly (as I did when ditching my Assassin and going with Ranger in beta) that holy crud, this build would have been easier to make as a different class, without spending hours grinding an area for XP, or the orbs needed to completely respec a character.

Yes, the skill tree calculator is useful, but I've made builds with that as an aid and even then it was still hit or miss if a build would work. I want to go crazy with the experimentation. I want to be able to log in, start a new character and spend a few minutes dumping points before going out with a max-level character in a League where people are making weird and wonderful builds just for laughs, or simply because they enjoy the combat but not the levelling, or because they want to enjoy the story without the grind involved, or simply want to see if the build they've spent three weeks working out would even be viable in merciless.

Yes, there are character builds that are good for levelling and good for grinding and I can understand how it would imbalance the game which is why I'm asking for this as a separate league; because if it's a GGG endorsed league then there's no way to complain of P2W because everyone in this league will be able to build a new high-level character on a whim, because it would allow people who don't enjoy the grind, but do enjoy everything else PoE offers, to go forth and have fun. Because let's face it, at some point we've ALL wanted something like this. Yes, it will feel cheap and yes it takes the challenge of planning your character out but that's the beauty of the League system - there are hardcore leagues for those who enjoy the challenge and cut-throat leagues for those utter b-tards amongst us and this league would allow those who just want to poke around with the skill tree the chance to poke around with the skill tree. And on that basis, I can think of few reasons for such a league to not exist.

But that's just my opinion.

Let the rage begin...
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
The main issue here is that the game is about grinding. If you make a level 100 league, many players will go to it to directly have their fully levelled char, and later on discover that they now already have their endgame character and have no reason to grind anymore.

But I do agree that there should be some way to quickly test out builds.
"
The main issue here is that the game is about grinding. If you make a level 100 league, many players will go to it to directly have their fully levelled char, and later on discover that they now already have their endgame character and have no reason to grind anymore.

But I do agree that there should be some way to quickly test out builds.

If it's just the level then it won't be the case. At least not until they get the gear and try it out.

But yeah, not reading a wall of text for the justification of a max level league. It won't be worthwhile.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info