A Song of Ice and Fire - HC-Viable Freezing Incinerate

This build balances the high-dps and large aoe of Incinerate with cheap but efficient defensive mechanics such as running Grace, a high level Arctic Armor, and a self-cast Immortal Call. It also runs leech on the Incinerate, increasing your survivability even further. I made the build and leveled it to 80 with less than 1 exalt's worth of currency in Bloodlines.

Stats:

Incinerate
Spoiler

20% chance to freeze is a lot when you're hitting every mob upwards of 7 times per second!

Defense Tab
Spoiler

Passive Tree @ lvl80

Leveling:
Spoiler
This is how I leveled the passive tree. Feel free to improvise or improve on it in your own way.

Step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Step 6

At some point between Step 5 and 6, respec the path out of the Templar so it comes by the Purity of Flesh cluster to save a point, and respec the path above the Witch to go through the AP trio once you feel like you have points to spare.

Normal: Help Oak
Cruel: Kill All or Help Alira
Merciless: Kill All

Basically, you get all the health you can, all the hp regen you can, all the mana regen you can, EB, and all the cast speed that's efficient to get. I had some doubts when I started about being stunned, since I wasn't planning on getting Unwavering Stance, but The Practical Application trio of nodes in the witch's area gives us 55% chance to avoid getting stunned (along with +20 Dex that you'll likely need) which is very effective since most things die before getting a chance to hit you anyways. In addition, going through the PA trio to Deep Wisdom puts you in a position to grab the witch's max mana and mana regen nodes below, which you may want available when you're pushing into the higher levels of Arctic Armor.

Inner Force isn't worth it because it increases the mana degen from Arctic Armor to the extent that you cannot sustain as high a level of the gem as you would otherwise, which cripples the build as it is one of the major points of survivability. Not only that, but the benefits of 26% Increased Buff Effect would only amount to 1-2% chance to evade (from the increased evasion from Grace), around 6 or 7 increased mana regen per second from Clarity (which is a net loss because the AA degen goes up by around 20 mps), and an insignificant amount more cold damage from Herald of Ice (we're talkin like 5 damage), which isn't worth three points even if it didn't cripple your AA level, which it does.

Gear:
Spoiler

I bought the Vortex Eye ring, the gloves, the boots, and the 5L (white, and then rolled it) but the wand, shield, helmet, left ring, amulet, and belt were self found.

The most expensive thing I think was the Incinerate gem, which I bought at around 13% quality and spent GCPs to bring to 20% over the course of the character's leveling process. I also bought the added cold gem at around 14% quality and leveled it to 20% later on, but that's totally unnecessary and will not break or maim the build if you can't afford to do it. All other gems were self-found.

Immortal Flesh is unnecessary, I just happened to find one and it synergizes very well with the build. Before I found it I was just using

If a 5L seems daunting, try checking poe.trade for white 5-linked chestpieces and look for ones with lower item levels, as they'll be sold for cheaper. You can often find them for 4-5chaos or maybe even less, and then just Alch/Scour it until you have something that you can work with.

Your gear should have good life rolls so you can get to 4.5k or so life by the time you're in your 70s. You should also look for projectile speed and cast speed on your weapon if possible. Prioritize Evasion/ES gear but feel free to switch up the gear for the R-R-B-B 4-link if you can't get lucky with that roll on Eva/ES gear.

Links:
Spoiler

Chest:
5L: Incinerate - GMP - Spell Echo - Added Cold Damage(Faster Projectiles while leveling) - Life Leech
6L: Incinerate - GMP - Spell Echo - Added Cold Damage - Life Leech - Fire Penetration

If you're like me, you're thinking "Why added cold instead of added chaos, fire pen, faster proj, added lightning etc?", and it's because of Herald of Ice. With added cold (which actually adds a considerable amount of damage because of the rapid application of Incinerate) and Herald of Ice running, you freeze pretty much any mob you kill on the third stage of Incinerate. Herald of Ice then causes them to explode, freezing other nearby mobs and killing them, causing them to explode as well. Not only does this chain reaction do a lot of damage, it also makes the build incredibly safe, because a frozen mob can't be hitting you.

Boots/Gloves/Helm:
Immortal Call - Increased Duration - Faster Casting - Vaal Haste
Reduced Mana - Grace - Clarity - Herald of Ice
Cast When Damage Taken - Enduring Cry - Summon Skeletons - Frost Wall*

*Frost Wall you can remove and substitute a curse of choice if you would prefer. I find that Frost Wall works very well because the downside, which is that it might block or impede your movement in combat, is not relevant because as an Incinerator you are always standing still. Thus it blocks barrages of Titty-Bitches, pushes dangerous bosses away from you, closes off entire hallways of ranged death and other things with little to no downside, but it's your character, do what you like.

Weapon/Shield
Lightning Warp - Faster Casting - Reduced Duration
Arctic Armor - Flammability/Elemental Weakness - Increased AoE

Flammability for solo, Elemental Weakness (or whatever your group needs, really) for group play.

Overview:

Arctic Armor and Grace keep you very well defended with around 4.5k hp (which should be easily attainable), and the fact that you leech 8% of over 5.5k dps with absolutely no investment at all doesn't hurt either (you'll easily reach 8k dps or so with decent cast speed and a finished passive tree).

When you do take damage, you build endurance charges, and with a self-cast immortal call, you can enjoy around 5 seconds of Physical Immunity whenever you feel like it, so long as you have the charges up.

This is why elemental reflect maps are amazing for this character. You take absolutely no damage from the reflect because of the fact that you use Incinerate, which hits very lightly many times and therefore is all but completely cancelled out by AA, and the reflect damage you do take, although completely unnoticable in your health pool, constantly triggers your CWDT setup. So the whole time you're summoning skeleton decoys and frost walls willy nilly, but more importantly you're also keeping all your endurance charges up, which means you really can just pop phys immunity whenever you want.

Definitely a blast to play, and definitely viable for hardcore, even in the beginning of a league. Give it a try and leave any questions or comments below! This is my first build guide so let me know if there's something obvious I'm leaving out.
Last edited by Moppsta on Mar 13, 2015, 12:44:17 PM
I like your build and the idea behind it, although there is room to make the tree more efficient, f.e.
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUATwRDyFugp1V8Dmjy8B8Es6IAwGbhc4KbmjvVpu087DgnLxo4kFXjahZvh2UQWCycBAdVxoPbU1JFnZrg6-64kyTYhW3Vgfnogsco-rc-QYfYvf4KU6UMXxynxq6VIGpDwFS86msXCPTbC4IewfNxhcAaRtfaubFCNZLyRTrhpldN4_6PXyrr5Ct4LYttGR_H-d29gmae-tKApFXWZOcXL1cpHwI6WNrdpwidrhpsNukkqoP3ES3N-nyD7FUqjUkbNtjxbKyY

... in case you wonder, why i've choosen the other way into Witch: i prefer the extra strength over the fire / elemental nodes, plus i've enough damage from Heart of the Flame

I'll give it a try and play the build in the upcoming 1ML.
Last edited by Fleischtorte on May 8, 2015, 5:53:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info