PvP popularity and other random thoughts

Well that is on my mind for quite some time and i finally decided to share it for no other reason than to hear the community's voice/thoughts/ideas.

I've been watching the participation numbers on the events (LLD EU only) and they are certainly not healthy. More and more people are driven away from pvp and with that pace in some time this season's numbers will look worse than they were in HC (espcially in 3v3 events).

Especially with the focus to more team events (except CTF which was a huge dissapointment) GGG surely believed that they were gonna lure more players to pvp but thats not the case. Constructed 3v3 appeals only to players already familiar with the pvp scene and with friends/guildmates who are willing to participate too. And while there are the random 3v3 events too people dont seem to try it. Even the numbers in solo blitzes are troubling. A lot of people play 5-6 games and they resign due to the frustration.

I started wondering how GGG can afford to continue supporting pvp (with scheduling events, finding sponsors etc) when there are literally close to 100-150 players interested in that aspect of the game. Rewards are already a lot less than the previous season (karma points etc.), a lot people seem to have lost the initial hype about pvp and more do so every day passing. A lot of the more prestigious/experienced pvpers from season 1 (who pvped before the pvp patch too) have not participated this season and thats even more troubling, since if they cant seem to find a reason to play how is it possible to draw more people into the scene.

A lot of crashes and desync as well as the huge lack of balance amongst other thigns (most notable being that a lot of players refuse to play in temp leagues) are the reasons i personally believe that pvp has started to decline both in numbers as well as in fun. GGG havent solved many of those issues, maybe because they believe balance-wise pvp is ok, maybe they fear that tweaking/nerfing/buffing/balancing further will drive away even more people, maybe they stoped caring (i dont believe in that though since GGG continues to support and invest in it and i respect them for caring even for such a little group of players. If thats wise or good for business, only time will surely tell).

So i want to know what's your opinion about pvp , the participation numbers and the reasons behind them. Is pvp ok at the moment balance-wise? Are the numbers satisfying? Should GGG continue investing on it?

P.S. : HLDers can also share their thoughts/opinions about the matter, i only used LLD cause im familiar with it only.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
I'm still looking forward to a true pvp-focused season.

Season 1 had GGG "sidelined" by the holidays, and now in Season 2 they have Act 4 to focus on. While I very much understand those two reasons, I would still wait for the day where GGG have nothing else to focus on, besides just PvP for the most part.

If they fuck even that up, then it's time to call it quits.
"
A222 wrote:
I'm still looking forward to a true pvp-focused season.

Season 1 had GGG "sidelined" by the holidays, and now in Season 2 they have Act 4 to focus on. While I very much understand those two reasons, I would still wait for the day where GGG have nothing else to focus on, besides just PvP for the most part.

GGG will never truly focus on PvP since the audience is too small.
Pupicitas: lv. 100 Shadow
[2.1] Guide for Life based Crit Dagger Reave Shadow: /994474
EU Officer of Umbra Exiles: /732431
I'm probably done with PvP after Season 2 and I know quite a few people who share the same thoughts. It's just not worth the investment anymore. PvP can be fun, but for the most part it's been disappointing. I can't even begin to rationalize why I would want to play Season 3 if it's HLD SC/HC combined. It sounds like a much more enjoyable time to play Act 4 in the new leagues than to spend time being continuously disappointed.

Maybe in Season 5 or something, things will get better.
Last edited by mimivirus on Feb 27, 2015, 4:18:20 PM
I feel like i miss the few times (few cause i wasnt a long time llder by that time) people gathered in a2n in HC and organized all kind of pvp matches, i remember playing ctf for like 2hours straight once. And we didnt care if someone was using that "x" OP skill and stuff like that. But when the time came and pvp was made competitive with rewards and shit, the feeling instantly changed. And the fact tha pvp keeps on disappointing with the existance of many flaws, is only making that feeling getting worse and worse. Making pvp official and competitive was/is a good thing for the scene, but keeping that stance on so many problematic matters is dissapointing. :(
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
yeah I miss oragnising team pvps 2v2 up to however many we managed to gather in a2n HC.

We should try to get some of that going again just to take our mind off of all the stuff we've been complaining about for the past idk how many weeks :P

And if they make it so we can challenge cross league it will be even better
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
PvP is frustrating if you want to make a pvp char yourself and then you have to face people trading and throwing dozens of exalts on a lvl 28 char. You have no chance.

Average joe won't spend that currency on that lvl 28 char, he'd rather have fun in maps. I experienced this firsthand and it's one of the most important reasons no one feels motivated to try pvp.

I said it once and i'll say it again. Your arrogance is what killed pvp.
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Feb 28, 2015, 3:20:33 PM
"
Pyrokar wrote:
PvP is frustrating if you want to make a pvp char yourself and then you have to face people trading and throwing dozens of exalts on a lvl 28 char. You have no chance.

Average joe won't spend that currency on that lvl 28 char, he'd rather have fun in maps. I experienced this firsthand and it's one of the most important reasons no one feels motivated to try pvp.

i would say ignorant assumptions how deep you explored PvP in this game? is more related to balance(item/gem bracket) and availability tho.
"
2i0 wrote:
"
Pyrokar wrote:

i would say ignorant assumptions how deep you explored PvP in this game? is more related to balance(item/gem bracket) and availability tho.

I reached China...
I'm a forum warrior, i was born to post, raised to defend my league. Now my post has been removed, chained and exiled by mods who Ban. Ban is my brother; i do not fear it. I see it in the eyes of men and beasts that i troll. It will take me to play the actual game when i am ready and i am not ready.
Last edited by Pyrokar on Mar 1, 2015, 7:54:36 AM
As the leader of a pvp guild, the place is like a ghost town a lot of the time nowadays. People got hyped on lld, then got disappointed. It's even worse in season 2 where we have people who sold alt art items cross league for dozens of exalts. We have streamers who have PVE and currency flipping gurus sponsoring them to their perfectly crafted dual 6l builds with multi crafted and self crafted everything. It took me months to get the level of gear that I have on standard, and the few people with insane currency surpassed that level on the temp leagues within a week with no pve chars at all.

It's nothing but a dick measuring contest now, it's not lld anymore at all.
I can't wait for them to stop supporting so we can go back to having fun again.
But that's just my opinion, not representing anyone but myself.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info