Unjust ban.

Yesterday I was banned. And contrary to what many usually claim I am guility. But don't give up on me just yet. I firmly believe I was banned unfairly and that there are some mitigating factors in my case that no one in the support team wants/is able to acknowledge.

Last week I used some maphack software. I think I did run it just twice with total time of the software runnig reaching couple of minutes. I did it mostly out of curiosity (friend's recommendation) and wasn't planning on using it all the time. Was I given an unfair advantage over other players? Have I cheated my way through? Have I managed to gain anything from the software running? The answer is no. What it did is save me some time on my way to Dominus. That's it. No other benefits whatsoever. Yes, I should have been more careful and not run any third-party software, but I thought that's what many people did without any consequences. I was told that's it's all fine if the software does not overwrite any of the ingame data. Still, the maphack is just my idea, only thing I can think of when I bent the rules - I can't be sure that's the reason for my ban. I haven't been given any exact information on what was my wrongdoing or when precisely did I break the rules. Maybe there has been a mistake?

I did not know I was breaching the terms of service and, more importantly, that I could get banned for this in an instant. Only yesterday I found on the forums that GGG was coming down on cheaters and some warning messages were being sent to users. I did not even get such a warning while others have - people who, unlike me, have probably abused the system and truly gained something from running third-party software. They were given a second chance. Had I been given a warning, I would have deleted the software immedietely. Having a visible map from the start is not even that beneficial in the first place. Aside from the fact that I dislike gambling and playing against the rules this just simply wouldn't be worth the risk. But apparently I didn't even deserve a warning.

Unfortunalety, I was lumped together with all the insolent cheaters and banned permanently. I strongly feel the punishment is not appropriate to what I did - this was a mere wrongdoing, a rule-bending, a stupidity on my part more than anything else. I agree, if you want to be strict then I should be punished in some way or another - I should have known better. Take away my exalted orbs and give them to newbies, I don't care. But a ban is the highest punishment possible and I surely don't deserve it. Not everything is black or white.

This really upset me - not only my because I have invested lots of time in this game but because it just does not feel fair. I definitely won't register a new account because I would have no pleasure in beginning again without all the gear and orbs I have gathered. This game requires a lot of time to reach a certain level of experience & wealth and I just can't afford to go through it again.

Please don't bother to tell me to contact the support team because I already have. Their hands seem to be tied, they must have been specifically instructed not to unban anyone who used any third-party software, no matter what the circumstances. No one wants to review my case on an individual basis. Any suggestions who else should I contact? Do you think is there any chance I will get the account back after, say, a year of "serving my sentence"? Or should already bid my farewells to the Exile community and move on? Sorry for the general bitterness but I'm positive most will share my sentiment.

Cheers.
IGN: Alicia_Florrick
you used a hack that you obviosly knew that was agains the ToS, I dont understand what is ur complaining.

you broke the rules you get punished its as easy as that now dont come crying saying u just tried it...
There are no mitigating circumstances, you used a hack it dose not matter why you used it, it's in the ToS that you agreed to that you would be banned for using it...you got banned they won't unlock the account.

End of.

Don't know why you are posting this here, you won't get help past being asked to email support, all you do is make your cheating including any bullshit excuses public to the rest of the forum users...you'll recieve no sympathy and support(the same support you emailed) will do nothing.

The warning btw was a one time warning, they did not need to even give this.
Even then prety much everywhere for the last month has been talking about it, longer infact...even the places you get the cheats.

You chose to ignore it.
You claim ignorance
You claim there was no harm done
You claim you did no know that the very obvious cheat was not allowed

You are the one responsible for your action, common sense would have told you that cheating on any online game runs the risk of getting banned....why would it be any diffrent on PoE?
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Feb 26, 2015, 8:44:54 AM
"
DilWig wrote:
you used a hack that you obviosly knew that was agains the ToS, I dont understand what is ur complaining.

you broke the rules you get punished its as easy as that now dont come crying saying u just tried it...

No, I don't think it's as easy as that - it's not binary numeral system. Am I really either a reprehensible cheat or spotless monk? And I said I didn't know this was against ToS. I honeslty thought there was no harm in trying it. It's not like I hacked the game or something.

"
lagwin1980 wrote:
Don't know why you are posting this here, you won't get help past being asked to email support, all you do is make your cheating including any bullshit excuses public to the rest of the forum users...you'll recieve no sympathy and support(the same support you emailed) will do nothing.

I'm surprised that you're so fierce with your opinion. Maybe you don't believe me, I don't blame you. Again - am I either a reprehensible cheat or a good guy? I'm not trying to make excuses, this is more of a confession from me. I truly repent and I would tend to agree that I deserve a punishment. But this one is just too severe. That's what I would like to argue first and foremost. I'm being treated as a compulsive cheats which I'm not - I have proven that throughout almost 2 years of playing this game. I admit to wrongdoing, but that was a one-time minor offence. I believe I actually deserve a second chance which I have not been given - others have. Is that fair? I wouldn't make a mistake like that again.

"
lagwin1980 wrote:
The warning btw was a one time warning, they did not need to even give this.Even then prety much everywhere for the last month has been talking about it, longer infact...even the places you get the cheats.

You are the one responsible for your action, common sense would have told you that cheating on any online game runs the risk of getting banned....why would it be any diffrent on PoE?

I would very much liked to have received that one-time warning. That would suffice. You say everywhere - I didn't spend time on the forums, didn't follow the news. I agree with you that I'm responsible. I just wouldn't call this cheating (becausae a literally gained nothing tangible) and wouldn't personally permanently ban a user who did something similar. I'm disappointed you see me as an insolent cheat.
There is no grey area. You can't "cheat just a little bit so no harm done". You knew it was wrong and you did it anyway. Do you honestly think that cheat detection should take into consideration how long you were cheating before deciding that it should automatically ban you?

You knew it was wrong but thought you could get away with it. Claiming you only used it a couple times to get to Dominus doesn't change anything and you know it.

"
but I thought that's what many people did without any consequences.
You thought wrong. They've been banning everybody using maphack for months. There is no way your friend who recommended it didn't know that. Your warning should have been "I knew it was wrong", not "they should have told me they were going to ban me".

When you run a traffic light with no other cars in sight, would you claim to the officer giving you the ticket that you knew it was wrong but you only do it when there are no cars coming and all you were doing is saving some time so you should be let off with a warning?
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:

You knew it was wrong but thought you could get away with it. Claiming you only used it a couple times to get to Dominus doesn't change anything and you know it.

I honestly think it does. There shouldn't be a one, highly severe punishment for each an every offence. Suspension, for instance, I can understand. A ban here is just too much. I don't know why you guys keep thinking I don't recognize the fact that I did something bad. I don't want to get away with it, I want have hope that there's a second chance for me.

"
mark1030 wrote:

You thought wrong. They've been banning everybody using maphack for months. There is no way your friend who recommended it didn't know that. Your warning should have been "I knew it was wrong", not "they should have told me they were going to ban me".

If only I knew that. I know, ignorance of the law can be harmful. My bad. The friend hasn't been playing for months, so it's possible he didn't have that knowledge either.

"
mark1030 wrote:

When you run a traffic light with no other cars in sight, would you claim to the officer giving you the ticket that you knew it was wrong but you only do it when there are no cars coming and all you were doing is saving some time so you should be let off with a warning?

I'd accept the ticket and learn my lesson. I'm quite sure I wouldn't be trialed and given a life sentence for that misdemeanour. That's the equivalent of a ban. A good example actually - you sometimes act on an impulse on the road to reflect later is was stupid and risky.
GGG takes a harsh stance on cheating because they want to protect their game.

Maybe in YOUR situation, you caused no harm to the community... but yours is a SINGLE CASE. The in-game economy is a fragile thing that is constantly under attack by cheaters. GGG have to protect that to keep the integrity of the game. They also don't have the resources to really evaluate each ban on a case-by-case basis other than checking to make sure that the user who was banned really did violate ToS.

It might seem harsh to you, but it is the most fair thing they can do. A single punishment (of banning) for all instances of cheating. Seems reasonable to me. You knew you were cheating when you did it. You can try to claim that you didn't think it was a big deal or whatever, but I don't know you from the next guy, and the next guy is likely to say the same exact thing. Perhaps your intentions WERE pure, but the other guy was trying to get a quick leg up and potentially in the process negatively impact the economy. You really think your punishment should be different from theirs?

This is a free to play game. You can create a new account and continue playing... you just won't do it with an account that was caught cheating. If they let everyone off with a warning, think of how much damage could be done by people being intentionally malicious and claiming ignorance.

Sorry you don't think it's fair. It's actually the most fair thing they could do in the situation. It's actually exactly the same thing as their stance on hardcore characters, deleted characters, and deleted items. They have a zero-restore policy for the same reasons. They don't have the manpower to investigate every single case of someone claiming to have "accidentally" deleted something, or to investigate why a specific hardcore character died. They start restoring characters, and suddenly everyone who dies in HC is attempting to get a character restored with some BS sob story. The most fair thing they can do is take a hard-line approach and just say they don't do it at all.

Good luck to you in your next account should you choose to do that. You're not getting unbanned.
The only reason they gave out a warning was because more than a few people that used the cheat tool used it for "quality of life" particle removal, GGG chose to caution them because not all of them were cheating, those that chose to ignore the warning and still use that part of it got banned, those that used it for cheating got banned.

They banned people before hand, this is not something that was new.

From what you said you were, even if it was only for a short time, using it to cheat...i doubt you would have stopped if you remained undetected.

This actualy reminds me of the n00b "just for try, for see and for know" guy
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Feb 26, 2015, 11:53:06 AM
If you have concerns regarding the ban you can email GGG directly at support@grindinggear.com

Nothing positive will come of this thread and your attempts at justification are simply going to draw ire, waste your time, and eventually waste the time of the mod who has to come in here and lock it.

Sorry for your loss - create a new free account and don't cheat this time.
== Officially Retired 27/02/2019 ==

Massive thanks to GGG for producing such a fun and engaging game, it has taken up faaaaaaar too much of my life over the last 5 years.

Best of luck in the future!
Last edited by CaptainWaffleIron on Feb 26, 2015, 12:36:59 PM
"
ZizzyZyryxy wrote:
(friend's recommendation)
I hope your "friend" will never "recommend" you to do a bank robbery ;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info