So here's an idea...

In most player vs player games that have any sort of items, you can see what items your opponents are using, and in the type of competitive events like Magic the Gathering where there is a shifting meta and constant tournaments the top deck lists are always posted. Right now in pvp it seems like there are a bunch of little cliques of information and a lot of secrecy. I feel like people having 'secrets' about their characters and builds detracts from having a real metagame apart from GGG stepping in every few patches with balance changes.

Games like Magic the Gathering, MOBAs with items and other PVP games force everyone to adapt from event to event. My experience with PVP is a bit limited but I'm constantly frustrated by the fact that I can't see what other people are doing, much less know what's actually killing me given the several hundred support gems and uniques out there. There's no combat log, no public information, a site like poearena.com is a step in the right direction where at least some people are functioning as if PVP is a community (at least for LLD) rather than just trying to win. I think that people hiding information will be a detriment in the long run to any real growth in pvp.
CharanJaydemyr:some people need to really rethink how they spend their money....I will trash this item if I ever find it on principle...I've seen much cleverer "troll" items get turned down, so I guess GGG gave up trying to enforce that one. Not GGG's finest hour.
poeurl.com/bD4E
"
RichMoney wrote:
In most player vs player games that have any sort of items, you can see what items your opponents are using, and in the type of competitive events like Magic the Gathering where there is a shifting meta and constant tournaments the top deck lists are always posted. Right now in pvp it seems like there are a bunch of little cliques of information and a lot of secrecy. I feel like people having 'secrets' about their characters and builds detracts from having a real metagame apart from GGG stepping in every few patches with balance changes.

Games like Magic the Gathering, MOBAs with items and other PVP games force everyone to adapt from event to event. My experience with PVP is a bit limited but I'm constantly frustrated by the fact that I can't see what other people are doing, much less know what's actually killing me given the several hundred support gems and uniques out there. There's no combat log, no public information, a site like poearena.com is a step in the right direction where at least some people are functioning as if PVP is a community (at least for LLD) rather than just trying to win. I think that people hiding information will be a detriment in the long run to any real growth in pvp.

I disagree. It's our gear and our build. If we're giving our gear out, we might aswell give our trees and bandits. People should be innoative and make their own builds, not copy the top peoples' gear

I don't want anyone to know what supports I am using, even less what uniques and rares I am using. PvP is about trying, tried 100s of hours different gem combos and trees, why don't rest do it themself to find their optimal setup?
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
Last edited by Tommie_Sjukskriven on Feb 25, 2015, 6:56:27 AM
One crazy idea, how about asking the person what he is using, maybe he will answer ;)
It's PTQ magic Circa 2002 before mtgo started the free info movement with deck list. I think build secrecy in LLD is silly because gearing out a char to test something is trivial. HOWEVER secrecy in HLD is also silly IMO BUT until they add free level 100 pvp only chars and the cost of gear changes (it wont) It's beneficial to keep it a secret. If it cost nearly 2 mirrors just to get the items to TEST an HLD build and then it sucks... well then your in some deep shit. Unless you have friends to just borrow some GG items from or tens of thousands of exs worth of currency testing different HLD builds isnt even reasonable.

TLDR LLD secrecy is silly. HLD secrecy is also silly BUT i understand why it's felt necessary atm.

I share all my builds idgaf.
I keep a rly shitty harbinger in my inventory and when ppl ask what bow im using I link it so they feel even worse for losing to such a bad bow. Little do they know..

Spoiler
im using lioneyes glare lol gl trying to evade my attacks noob

ofc, i only pvp in sarn arena. real pvp events 2hard
IGN: Inshiterate
So this is art? Awful lousy way to make coin
What will be the point of PVP then after showing your items setup ?
You know you can beat them with skill. Crazy idea.
acct/nick- lildonut
I have actually found people are more than willing to share their build and links. I had a ton of help from some of the top guys with gearing questions.

With that said I don't think people should have to tell you anything so you can break down their weaknesses. Same way I ask people spectating not to tell me who I am fighting or what they are doing. Its a duel. Figuring out what the guy is doing is half the fun.

ign slashzilla
"Buy when there is blood on the streets, even if the blood is your own."
Slashzilla Reave Guide- http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/514128
SALES THREAD-http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/524661
http://gyazo.com/da6159e17a1ec3710b9cb8601a145a9a
I doubt GGG will ever reveal PVP builds without the owners permission.

However, there is nothing stopping you from sharing builds voluntarily.

The advantages you gain from sharing your build are in skill, time spent, and knowledge.

Skill:
Take two people that are playing the exact same character and the only thing left to differentiate is skill.

Time Spent:
People can adapt faster through cooperation than competition.
"
RichMoney wrote:
My experience with PVP is a bit limited but I'm constantly frustrated by the fact that I can't see what other people are doing, much less know what's actually killing me given the several hundred support gems and uniques out there.
Now imagine if the other person told you what they were doing. Your understanding of how to optimize your build comes much faster. Even if the opponent does not help you, your understanding comes faster because your weaknesses are exposed faster.

Knowledge:
A good tactician understands their own weaknesses. A brilliant tactician understands how the opponent wants to exploit those weaknesses, and uses that knowledge to their advantage.
<3 Free Tibet <3
I skin everything, but my goldrim and weapon. And I use a back attachment so they cant see what quiver I have. And I like them to be surprised when they step in my beartrap.

God_of_Thieves_LLD_PVP__I hate the Labyrinth
Last edited by ripnburn69 on Mar 9, 2015, 12:29:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info