[1.3] The freezing Cyclone /// Cyclone/CoC/Ice Nova

Hi all, here is my attempt of an uncommon Cast On Crit build.
Tired of seeing those GMP/Fireball/Arctic breath build and because since the nerf of CoC we see less of them (thanks GGG :) ), I could now go for a CoC build without doing like all others players (they are all with the TS crit build now :p )

So my goal :
- fun to play
- no need of expensive 6L unique or BIS items (no 6L voll's protector + voll's devotion !! )
- no glass canon
- works on solo or party

I am lvl72 and I can clear sceptre of god without any problems, Dominus fight was not very easy on his first stage, but second stage was easy

+++
+ "cheap" build
+ good dps
+ cold dmg = more survivability
+ fun
+ cyclone = no stun
+ cyclone = move = more defense
+ 12k+ evasion with average items

---
- no millions dps
- not enought life
- not a self found build
- beware of corrupting blood
- cyclone = some rare desync
- reflect ? even if it not a probleme now, perhaps later ?

100 pts tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAAYAXgL-BbUHHgguCpsOSBGWFfYWvxmOJJ0k_SaVMHEwfDY9OkJCw0lRSn1LeFFHVUtW-luvXfJeRWHiYlpieWKsZ6BsjHBScFZw1XfXeOt9dX8rf8aA4Yd2idOMC4w2jb-QG5LzlS6aE5uNnaqio6c0qKKq-K_rtMW3F7l8wJzC7NN-1CPWitvU3Q3dqN-E4l7jhOOf5wrnVOyw7YPvevDV-uv8xf66wdjlGbQ4-_WXl0V8wfOCHhSwTC0XVI48VkqeoSKBOrM=

My lvl72 tree
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAAAYAXgL-BbUHHgguCpsOSBGWFfYWvxmOI_YknST9JpUwcTB8Nj06QkLDSVFKfUt4TZJRR1VLVvpbr13yXkVh4mJaYnlirGegbIxwUnBWcNV313jrfXV_K3_GgOGHdonTjAuMNo19jb-QCpAbkvOVLpoTm42dqqKjpzSooqr4r-u0xbcXuXzAnMHYwuzTftQj1orb1N0N3ajfhOJe44Tjn-cK51TssO2D73rw1frr_MX-ug==

****************** Gem setup : ******************
¤ Cyclone - CoC - Ice Nova - ....
here we have lots of choices. We dont need a 6L to make it work. Choose the one you want :
- Critical chance : boost critical for Cyclone AND ice nova to 95%/40%
- add accuracy : boost chance to hit to 95% and quality add some critical chance
- Assasin's mark : gain power charge to reach 95% crit chance and more crit multi (for cyclone and ice nova)
- another spell (note : ice nova * 2 = more chances to cast it with the nerf of CoC to 68%)

my choice : Cyclone - CoC - Ice Nova - add accuracy - Assasin's mark

¤ Reduced mana - Grace - Herald of ice

¤ Reduced mana - Herald of thunder - Curse on Hit - Poacher's Mark

Heralds add a good damage boost to spell
Poacher's Mark give us mana on hit + life on hit (good with cyclone) and ennemy have less evasion = better chance to hit
Clarity is not needed anymore. Mana regen + leech is enought

¤- dual strike + CoC + multistrike + Glacial Cascade or Arctic breath
for 1vs1
I have to try dual strike + CoC + Power charge on crit + Cold snap , perhaps it can freeze boss ????

You have free slot for your convenience : a 3 links and another 4 links
You can add a CwDT setup but hard to have RRRR on a pure evasion item.

Why Poacher's Mark and Assasin's mark ?
Assasin's mark give us some power charge and chance to crit. It helps Ice nova to crit and Critical multi boost ths damage. Life and mana on kill is good to have.
Poacher's Mark is not cast on every enemies because Herald of thunder is not enought fast. But it give life and mana on hit very usefull for Cyclone and better chance to hit. Frenzy charges are good to.

better chance to crit/ better chance to hit : sooooo good for a CoC build !!

COC dmg ??? 2 same spell or 2 differents one ?
input:
-95% Chance to Crit
-90% Chance to Hit
=> 0.95*0.90=85.5% chance have a critical strike
CoC lvl20 = 68% chance to cast
=>0.855*0.68=58% chance de cast when trying to hit someone
(http://www.calculator.net/probability-calculator.html)

with two differents spells :
- P(A ∪ B) = 82% (spell A or spell B or Spell A+B)
- P(A ∩ B) = 34% (only spell A+B)
- 82-34=48% (spell A or spell B Not Spell A+B)

Dx=spell dmg x

Avg_DMG= (DA+DB)*0.34 + (DA+DB)/2 *0.48
Avg_DMG= (DA+DB)(0.34+0.48/2)
Avg_DMG= 0.58 (DA+DB)

with two same spells :
P(A)=58%
P(B)=(1-0.58)*0.58 = 24%
P(A ∪ B)=82%

with DA=DB :
Avg_DMG= 0.82(DA+DB)/2
Avg_DMG= 0.41 (DA+DB)

=> 0.58 Vs 0.41 => 30% less dps

But which spell can we use with ice nova ??? we don't have another AoE cold spell :(

****************** Gear : ******************

You should aim for max chance to hit and max critical chance.
- Maligaro's and Rat's nest help a lot.
- Dagger with 9%+ chance to crit and spell dmg
- Carcass jack is a nice armor (life, resist, evasion, AoE) but a rare 4L/5L works fine
- +1 curse item is a nice choice if you can max your resist elsewhere
- craft +1% cold leech on dagger and/or get a doryani's invitation cold variant

My gear as an exemple

note: some gems are just here for xp

without power charge : 88% chance to crit / 94% chance to hit

This build is 80% done.
-my gems need to be replaced (cwdt setup?)
-once Ice Nova is Q20, replace the Carcass jack by a high evasion (1500+) armor

****************** How to play? ******************

Just run, and cast cyclone to pass through ennemy while exploding them all.
1vs1 is not as fast as hudge group but double strike works fine. Piety is killed in less than 2 minutes with a lvl17 glacial cascade

Reflect is still not a problem. I dont go on high lvl map for now but reflect pack on 67 map are piece of cake without using saphir flask ! just because ice nova dont do billions dps that can one shoot you and you can Dodge spell dmg.

****************** funny setup ******************

and blow everthing on screen. And i dont know why but reflect dont kill me even with discharge ....

Last edited by DarkManda on Feb 27, 2015, 5:08:01 AM
update
What's the point of CoC Assmark if you have Herald of Thunder doing the cursing? Also you waste a slot for a curse on your main attack when you could be adding another spell to clear better. You could easily link your assmark to the Curse on Hit and still do both curses.

you travel 6 nodes to get the witch cold cluster. This is nothing but inefficiency and could be spent elsewhere. You are basically more than halving the efficiency of the dmg cluster which makes it terrible when you think about it.

Why use Discipline? Its effect gets halved by acrobatics and it literally does nothing for your build except add around 150 ES? The build gains nothing from having a little bit of ES.

Cold damage = more survivability. True. Except that you don't have that much crit chance for your spells nor any crit multi for them. This means you won't freeze reliably or for any meaningful periods of time.

111% life is way too low. You will get killed often, period. Even if it is a softcore build I wouldn't have less than 135%. Merciless piety taking 2 minutes to kill also indicates you have very low single target damage. You say it is "good dps", but by which standards?

Last edited by Matlock0 on Feb 27, 2015, 11:46:41 AM
thanks for your answer.

Assasin's Mark is on the CoC setup because it cast it all around me and, like that, all targets are 100% cursed. it give a hudge critical bonus for cyclone and ice nova. Herald of thunder apply curse only on some enemies, not all :/

I agree, the witch cold cluster is not a good choice. i have to remove it.

(discipline gemme is just here for leveling it)

with assasin's mark, ice nova have 40% chance to crit, i shatter every white mobs. magic ones are freezed for 1-2 sec if not killed in the first cyclone launched.

I agree again, not enought life. But i am surprised that i dont die often (only on human error : freezed/corrupting blood/...).

I think that a build able to finish Act3 merciless alone and then doing maps, is a build which has good dps because you dont have to ask for help to kill boss.
I just found a Mjolner with this build in a 69 map. Yes, between this CoC build and a simple mjoler non-crit build, there is a DPS gap (and a currency gap too) :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info