power charge on crit vs increase critical damage

I have 5L armor with

arc - life leech - fater cast - spell echo + ...

I have 7 charges. Withtout charges, i have 4000dmg with inc crit dmg. 3500 with pcoc.
With 7 charges. I have 5200 dmg with inc dmg and 4500 with pcoc.

I use dual curse with herald of thunder - assasins mark/warlords mark.

The problem with inc dmg is, that i dont/mostly have 7 charges. I have around 1-3. With power charge on crit i have almost always max charges.

Which gem to choose?
24.1.2018 [quote="Dro28"]wheres my fragment tab?[/quote]

(I thought that was a joke)

25.1.2018: GGG- Introducing the Fragment Stash Tab!
lightning penetration.and when u get a 6L armour , then you can think about the options.i'm using exactly like you , arc/life leech(only that im leeching es)/spell echo/faster casting/light pen/inc crit dmg.but i'm thinking about putting the pcoc 2 to test it.

i suggest you try to put a lightning penetration gem in there.i garantee u'll like it :) ( at least if you managed to get to merciless & maps

cheers
I would argue that PCoC is your best bet. If youre running life leech on a crit build then you want to crit often, not necessarily harder. I think opting to keep up more charges is more beneficial until as the other guy said you get a 6l. You can experiment with your 6th link then. I do like lightning pen in general since its a great way to make your dmg more effective, but be careful as this will also make reflect a much bigger butt pain, especially with that devilish spell echo.
"
BenBraddock wrote:
I would argue that PCoC is your best bet. If youre running life leech on a crit build then you want to crit often, not necessarily harder. I think opting to keep up more charges is more beneficial until as the other guy said you get a 6l. You can experiment with your 6th link then. I do like lightning pen in general since its a great way to make your dmg more effective, but be careful as this will also make reflect a much bigger butt pain, especially with that devilish spell echo.

dude is right.lightning penetration on merciless & maps ( where mobs have +light res ) is awesome.i couldn't believe the first time I've replaced it for the added lightning dmg.And now I won't let it go for nothing.It's very effective ..it increases your real output dmg vs light res mobs ..which are most of merciless and maps ones.BUT , yes , the ele reflect will make you cry sometimes.I died 5 TIMES today and another 4 or 5 times like..two days ago..10 death from which 9 were due to ele reflect..i can't believe it..

this kinda is like every item/build/skill in the game.if you wanna be swag , you gotta risk A LOT.

Cheers
"
nbr wrote:
.... i'm using exactly like you , arc/life leech(only that im leeching es)/spell echo/faster casting/light pen/inc crit dmg ....

Any reason why you both don't use empower which should be the number one support gem for arc?
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
"
666lol666 wrote:

Any reason why you both don't use empower which should be the number one support gem for arc?

Say what? For a level 21 arc in a regular (ie not +1) armor, a level 4 empower adds no chains and about the same DPS as a level 21 added lightning damage (edit: and by that I mean, minus the extra shock chance and duration if it was 21/20). What's the point of that? Maybe if we were talking a +3 lightning staff, but I think a build running one of those would be slightly insane, because there's always dual Doryani's if you want full-on DPS with no survivability besides leech.
Last edited by codetaku on Feb 3, 2015, 6:43:55 PM
Yes, lignting penetration is extremly good.

In the worst case your damage is increased by ~35%
In the best case your damage is increased by ~140%

No reason to not take it.

Btw, I have a non crit arcer with:

Arc - faster casting - spell echo - lifesteal - lighting penetration - empower(!)/added lighting
Imo the best setup possible. Why go for crit on a 4% spell?

Concerning crit: I think "chance" is always better than "damage". The DPS of crit has to be taken with a grain of salt, because the DAMAGE DISTRIBUTION affects effective DPS.

If you crit a 1000 HP monster for 8000 damage, its not very effective. Higher critchance improves damage distribution if you go for a critbuild.

You can also go for attack/castspeed. High attackspeed with low base damage seems also reasonable to even out the spikes.
Last edited by ExiledRenor on Feb 3, 2015, 7:14:10 PM
pcoc will get you more damage more frequently and will work
against single targets, ie bosses.

however later on you might consider getting your power charges from assasins mark,
as being able to have that 5th link be replaced with a damage enhancer, yet still
having power charges often enough.

I'm not sure.

The key idea im bringing here is that using a link to provide power charges
is an expensive way to get charges, imagine what else could be in that 5th link?

now that all depends on how else you can get charges... :(
clearly you need charges. that's your build.

using the 5th link is a heavy price to pay for them tho.
My two cents:

I suppose you run a crit arc build, just like me. I also use dual curse HoT, and always have 7 pc up when soloing. Just roll a recharce on crit/movespeed Quicksilver and use it after every pack.

My Links are arc-echo-faster-pen in a geoffri's crest (which provides +1 gem level) for a total of a lvl 22 arc that results in 20k-24k dps depending on pc.

It's insanely strong. If I run off in a 77 map I can easily kill a whole pack. It feels like soling a 66 map.

To the guy who asked why crit on a 4% spell: Because damage. And leech-spikes. And higher shockchance. And freeze/shatter by HoI. So I ask: Why non-crit?
My Build Compendium: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1634158
quick question to assi, or anyone else:

with freeze pulse or any ice attack, crit is good because
is it not only doing more damage but it generally
has a "stunning" effect when the mobs that get hit
and either freeze or chill. its not "stun" but it prevents
monsters from completing actions much the same way.

a chilled monsters attack is delayed.

does lit have a similar effect? when a mob is shocked are
they prevented from acting immediately, or completing their
attacks? this would be a nice bonuses for using crit on arc.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info