Mathil's Crit Phys Spectral Throw (Vertical Bananas?) 1.3 Uber Viable

twitch.tv/mathil1 for daily live streaming.

After playing predominantly elemental spectral throw builds for a long time this was one of my first attempts at making a physical spectral throw version. Non crit physical spectral throw is extremely underwhelming so crit had to be the build choice. The build makes use of daggers and their high crit chance to scale physical damage especially when paired with an Abyssus. Some smart play and care goes into helping this character survive but mostly it is the insane damage that keeps you alive.

First Uber Atziri attempt/kill video on Torment with this character/build.

Gear used to kill Uber Atziri in Torment first time:
Spoiler

Current Upgraded Gear at lvl 90: 45k LMP dps with power charges up.
Spoiler

Discussion about gear:

Helm: Abyssus or Rat's Nest - Both are going to work great for the build. Wear a Rat's Nest if you want to be a bit safer but still add to your dps via the helm. Abyssus however will give you something like 2x your current damage without it and I believe even though it weakens your phsyical defense by 40-50%, it increases your survivability by letting you completely 1 shot or freeze anything of any danger to you so it never even has a chance to fight back.

Chest: Daresso's Defiance, Belly of the Beast, Life/evasion/resist rare Assassin Garb, Lightning coil - My personal preference is Daresso's Defiance. This chest grants you extra dodge to bring you up to 36%, some life, an important amount of phys life leech, really nice evasion/armor and on top of that you get endurance charges which are almost always full for when you get hit and a nice dps boost when being attacked.

Weapon: Rare Dagger (Ambusher/Imperial Skean) - You want first a really heavy physical centered dagger, preferably of a fast nature so as to be able to give a good fast playstyle and help scale off of Abyssus' flat phys damage too. Something like a Bino's works but it's far too slow for how squishy we are and will end up leaving a bad character feel. Anything 250+ dps on an ambusher with crit/attack speed should cost 3-5ex at a minimum but is worth the investment.

Shield: Rare Evasion Shield - Life, resists, evasion. This will be your highest source of evasion and I recommend atleast 1k+ on your shield. It's what helps you get to your Ondars projectile evasion cap.

Gloves: Rare gloves, Maligaro - Life, attack speed, accuracy, resists. You'll need a gear slot for 3 blue 1 red and gloves would be a good option to do it in. Maligaro are better dps wise by a good bit but are hard to recolour like that.

Boots: Rare boots - Movement speed, life, resists, strength. Movement speed is pretty nice to have but if you choose to travel purely by whirling you can skip that.

Belt: Rare leather belt or Rustic - Life, resists, Wed if possible. A high amount of WED here will add some dps but this is primarily a defensive slot for us. Good resists/life are the most important part.

Rings: Diamond rings - Life, Phys dmg, Accuracy, resists, Wed. The more you want on your rings the harder to find and more expensive they will be. Some high accuracy is recommended followed by life, phys damage and resists.

Amulet: Rare Amulet - Crit Multi, Life, Crit chance, Accuracy, Phys dmg, resists. Amulet is a large dps slot and phys, crit and Crit Multi will give substantial dps boosts. Try to get at least crit multi.

Your Main Spectral Throw setup:
- In the final 6L I have chosen to go with Spectral Throw + Blood Magic + Faster Attacks + Weapon Ele Damage + Phys Proj + Lesser Multi Proj.
- Up until I swapped into a 6L I did not have Blood Magic in my 5L and replaced WED for Added Fire. I also did not use Herald of Ice to have the free mana to do so.
- While running a 5L on mana you however need 2% phys mana leech from gear or Mind Drinker passives.
- When going to a 6L however I feel the best dps upgrade and feel for the character is swapping to BM, getting WED to boost all your ele damage but especially cold which freezes harder because of this and running Herald of Ice.
- Crit Multi support gem is the worst dps addition out of all of these so it is excluded.
- When going into single target mode I replace LMP with Added Cold. It grants me the most single target damage and also helps to freeze whatever you may be attacking.

Getting Power Charges:
- As with many of my characters now the way to sustain power charges is through Herald of Thunder + Curse on Hit + Assassin's Mark (20q) + Reduced Mana.
- This setup won't be giving you power charges on strictly single target boss fights but should keep you at max charges throughout mapping
- Use Power Charge on Crit in your main setup if you would rather consistent charges.

Dealing With Reflect:
- My original plan was to have Vaal Pact and try to run a fair bit of physical leech %.
- As of this point and having 45k LMP dps I still don't feel the need to get it.
- I deal with reflect by having 5% phys leech from Daresso chest + Blood Drinker on top of 48% evasion paired with Ondar's Guile and Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call.
- With this setup I don't die to reflect ever playing solo but if you party a lot then investing in Vaal Pact may be for you.
- When doing an Ele reflect map, drop WED in your main setup for Life Leech and drop any auras you feel you need to or swap hatred for grace.
- When doing Phys reflect maps, drop Phys Proj support gem and replace it with Added Cold Damage.

*********Current Passive Tree at lvl 90 on Torment*********

*********Leveling Passive Tree Progression*********
Spoiler

24 points

42 points

55 points

67 points

86 points

This is all a pretty rough outline of how I would level the character. I usually fill out a lot of the character's dps potential first and worry about survivability later on in the game but you can obviously approach it differently, especially if trying for hardcore.

Elreon Jewelry (2 pieces) will take you through most of the process (up to lvl 60ish) giving you free spectral throw. Using Molten Strike for single target dps while leveling is also recommended. Pick up random 1.5+ speed daggers as you level and try to get crit on them by using rustic sash recipe/aug/regal/mastercraft, or buy from poetrade.

Bandits were Life, Attack speed, Power Charge. Both normal/cruel are rather flexible and you can take passive pt in normal and phys dmg in cruel.

Updating guide as I can.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
Last edited by Mathil on Jan 30, 2015, 6:28:51 AM
Last bumped on Jul 7, 2016, 11:27:18 PM
Looks good given me some ideas for a similar build, congratz on uber as well.
Congrats man!
Very nice build, as all your builds are!
I wanna ask you a (stupid) question: why not Vaal Pact?
Players gonna play play play, GGG gonna nerf nerf nerf
"
Trivelar wrote:
Congrats man!
Very nice build, as all your builds are!
I wanna ask you a (stupid) question: why not Vaal Pact?

It was originally planned but hasn't been necessary thus far. With 5% phys leech, Ondars and CWDT IC I haven't had many issues with reflect and even running reflect maps when swapping out a gem or two. At the moment it would be a waste of 2 passive pts.
A list of all my builds and guides - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1099189
Twitch.tv/Mathil1 streaming daily
Why not going belly instead of Daressos? you could easily get the leech from blood rage imo...
how come you run blood magic, just curious, is mana an issue? i though crit phys builds can easily sustain on mana as long as you have enough to shoot at least twice
IGN JustifiedF
"
Justifi3d wrote:
how come you run blood magic, just curious, is mana an issue? i though crit phys builds can easily sustain on mana as long as you have enough to shoot at least twice

Seconded.
"
Justifi3d wrote:

He has 3 x heralds (0,71 x 25 = 18%) (you have to round up the decimals) + 1 x hatred (0,71 x 60 = 43%)
54 + 43 = 97% mana reserved =) So yeah. Blood magic it is! :D
It's a personal flavor. Ofc, you get a bit more Dps from HoT and WED, but the difference is marginal compared to ICD+PCoC setup. It's about the method of generating Power Charges.
So with HoT Curse on Hit, BM+WED is defenitely the way to go.
WTB List: - Shrubbery, only the best!; Mirror - wooden frame - 90x50cm
What would be better for a 5l remove a herald and run on mana or remove FA/Phys proj ?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info