[1.3] Oro's Sword flicker. Very fast and fun

So I've tried a few flicker strike builds but managing blood rage was always a chore and you'd run out of frenzy charges against tough packs or bosses so I looked to Oro's Sacrifice as its the only reliable method of getting frenzy changes without the kill

This build is for those who want to hold down right click to clear maps. No other skill gems are needed and only need to have your hand over the panic flasks on high damage maps.

The build can be played as a Templar or Marauder

Basic Oro's sacrifice/Flicker strike mechanics
Spoiler

Flicker Strike has a cooldown so you can't cast it too often however you can bypass that cooldown by spending a frenzy charge. Oro's sacrifice sword will generate a frenzy charge every time you ignite an enemy, with the tree and the sword we have a 40% chance to ignite on hit and mutistrike allows every cast of Flicker strike to hit 3 times.

I first thought that the chance would need to be a bit higher to really guarantee not running out but as it happens that chance is plenty and since you stack up to 4 to run out is so unlikely that I've never had it happen.

Gem setup:
Spoiler

I'd love to run flicker on mana for another gem slot but all our damage is elemental so "% physical damage leached as mana" stat won't support us and getting enough mana from the tree would be way more points the extra gem slot would give in damage.

I went with empower here to give us extra fire and ice damage from the Anger and Herald of Ice, we have the mana space and more flat fire damage will scale well off our tree and gear

Herald of Thunder is a GREAT curse applier. I run it in so many builds, yes this build only has 10% shock chance but its amazing how often it triggers the storm due to just how quickly you are getting the kills, it doesn't have 100% up time but its pretty close.

Once the reduced mana gem in your main setup is level 19 or 20 then you can change the Reduced mana gem in this setup into a Blind or Iron Will if you want the slight increase that will give. Double curse is also an option but I just couldn't find any points in the tree that I wanted to cut for it.

Thats it for the gems. You can run a cast on damage taken/vengence setup while you have spare space but I dropped them for the Kaom's Uniques and they don't really add much to the build anyway

Equipment
Spoiler

Now This might look super expensive but I didn't have most of this when I started and I earnt the currency as I levelled but my gear is reaching pretty close to perfected and is quite unique heavy. The only required one is the sword, these others are just the upgrades I have made as I went.

Backbone of the build. Pretty cheap to buy (you can get a low damage one for under a chaos) Currently have a higher DPS one that I'm working on 6 linking.

Now this item is closest to being required in the build. Without it we wouldn't be able to level flicker strike up to max level and our movement speed would be horrible. The attack speed boost for no downside is also just wonderful. (mine has 3 blue sockets but its easier to get that in the gloves, I just happened to have it)

Now these are the reason That we don't use many gems. I only recently changed to these and I'm simply loving the extra health. It makes the build so tanky and the extra fire damage is great too. Plus you look like a badass wearing both and how can you resist that?

Staple in all fire builds. If you can get one then worth wearing. Thats it really.

These slots just cover our resists and provide a bit extra dex and int to use our gems. Only about 20 of each is needed and max level gems and not really hard to get.

Endgame final upgrades and ring discussion
Spoiler

The final upgrades for the build will be 6 linking the sword.

The ultimate rings would be 2 copies the The Taming but thats 50+ ex territory. other options for while leveling would be

They all give decent resistances and nice effects. The Pyre ring in particular is massive fun having you herald of ice because more fire damage and watching everything explode as they die. In the end though +life rings will just give too much health to make it easy choices

Passive tree & Bandit quest rewards:
Spoiler

Bandits:

Normal, Oak (+40 hp)
Cruel, Kill All (Passive Point)
Merciless, Kraityn (+1 Frenzy Charge)

Tree at level 67 when can first use the sword
Spoiler

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUA-d2LjJRczGZKmMBm8B-iAASzgpvtIOFzkFUnL-w4wBoaOGP9euZxhUbX8xGxQi6Ul4U09yGw8WysmPfXm6GPRh0U-tJmnuxVKo1JGzbYVcY6WDbpJKoWb-NqxPYZLiftFCDvDlBH5FE9_IzP9khfP8bYWGPPfq2N2WF2rIIH8kHSIVcN2XwJ9tR8Bg599Uz_PC2vbGjyfNn3MnKpduc4UyKvns3Uj2eb

Final Skill tree of the Build
Spoiler

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUA-d2LjJRczGZKmMBm8B-iAASzgpvtIOFzd-VX4jKJkFUnL-w4wBoaOGP9euZxhUbX8xGxQi6Ul4U09yGw8WysmPfXm6GPRh0U-tJmnuxVKo1JGzbYg9tVxjpYNukkqhZv42rE9hkuJ-0UIO8OUEfkUT38jM_2SF8_xthYY89-rY3ZYXasggfyQdIhVw3ZfAn21HwGDv5UDc0rUBzOPQ999Uz_PC2vbGjy2L3-Crc-xq6mVzrh8kU1kk3jfNn3MnKpxp4Qfwx9gsf56EGHduc4UyKvns3Uj2ebGF2t8Q==

Leveling
Spoiler

Since this build grabs melee and fire nodes I leveled as an avatar of fire infernal blow build and used many of the supports that are used in the final build. Since its pretty generic though you should be able to level with any fire skill you really want.

Blood magic is in the area and can be grabbed easily to deal with mana problems and unwavering stance should also be used until you can get the Kaom's roots unique boots as getting stunned is death for a flicker strike build.

Flasks
Spoiler

I've been really lazy with my flasks and haven't even fully qualitied them and gotten a removes freeze and removed bleed one yet. Thats just because so far I haven't really needed them. The resistance flask deals with elemental reflect packs and the two instant heal flasks are for shady situations and they fill up so fast due to continues kills. I'm planning to drop the second fire flask for granite or a different resistance flask but haven't decided which yet. Probably granite

Survivability
Spoiler

The biggest part danger of this build is the "10% increased physical damage taken" from the sword but really 10% isn't as horrible as it could be and with a combination of armour and health we can mitigate it. I'm currently on 6.3k life and there is still plenty of levels and life nodes to go that will make this build even tankier. As for the "10% increased fire damage taken" Well thats what the 86% fire resist is for by popping your fire res flask

Video Update
I made a short video to showcase the build. Its my first video so sorry for quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUYyahSDOS4&feature=youtu.be

Hope you enjoyed reading my build.

-WaffleT
Last edited by WaffleT on Jan 25, 2015, 3:49:57 AM
This looks like a lot of fun. I'll give it a shot in bloodlines this weekend.

My only question, how do you deal with single targets?
Single target? You hold down right click until they die. The main reason I went this sword over blood rage builds is that it can flicker forever even when not getting kills. Bosses with big hits will make you use your instant healing flasks alot but thats pretty standard for melee builds.

For optimum boss killing you can swap melee splash for life leech/fire pen for the fight but I never really bother
Oh, so the application of the ignite gives the charge. For some reason I was thinking that it wouldn't reapply to a burning target. Yeah I'm looking forward to getting this build leveled.
I've added a short video to show it taking down a map boss. Just flicker all the way :P
I'd like to build this on Hardcore but I just can't see it holding up against reflect. How much trouble do reflect packs give you? If I played it on HC I'd for sure be working in Purity of Fire, and possibly that new ring that reduces reflect damage. Just curious if reflect groups are like instant RIPs or manageable.

Otherwise, super funny build that I totally love lol.
Team Won
Oh reflect isn't really an issue. Pop the fire resistance flask as your approach and use healing potions as needed. This build stacks so much health that your damage doesn't mark it as much unless the reflect pack is HUGE making the first hit dropping you into panic flask mode.

I wouldn't recommend this or any flicker strike build for hardcore though as you can't check for dangerous mods on mobs before landing in them. No amount of life/protections will save you from landing in the middle of an "extra lightning, powerful crit" pack of something slow and strong if they happen to all attack at once and not doing the normal "Where did he go?" AI against flickerstike. Now this is unlikely and shouldn't happen but its possible and thats lots of loss that would happen.

Yes insta ripping is possible for any build but most builds always read the mods on packs before they approach.

Then again maybe I'm just being shy as the build is pretty death proof when doing safe maps even if that situation did occur. I don't play hardcore so I greed and often run maps that are higher level then my character probably should be doing.

As for purity of fire that was certainly a consideration. You can easily drop the inner force cluster for the aura cluster at the top and grab purity of fire instead of empower for added defence. For some time I've considered doing this and running herald of thunder for resistances so I can wear two Mokou's Embrace for fire damage and attack speed while ignited
I've been chatting with another Oro's sword user and his solution to the reflect problem is using elemental proliff instead of melee splash. In my previous testing I found this a bit sluggish compared the splash but really they are pretty similar. Proliff is definitely better at reflect though as you only hit one at a time and it reflects very little back on you

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info