1.3 Need help with my: Static Strike Templar (crit-staff lightning theme)

Hello,

after playing a witch and some rangers i ve choose to Play a Close combat class, that is based on armour. Want to Play with staff too and i like the lighning theme, so Templar was best choise for me.

I will link my current equippment below and my passive skill tree. For gameplay i ve uploaded short movie.

But I Need help please. i ve got no Problem with reflect so far, but most physical sources, some lightning sources and most/all fire sources will rip me away in no time :(
Anyone playing 2h multistrike-melee templar that dont die instantly on most evrything and can help me build better defence? :) Maybe i ve did something horrible wrong (my Evasion based ranger will facetank most of the things that kill my templar, cant believe templar is so horrible weak in defense - must be something wrong on my side).

passive tree (lvl 77)

planned passive tree for 85-90 (just more Points in witch tree)

Current Equippment and gem setup
Spoiler

Gameplay Video
No where near enough life is part of the problem. Reliance on ES as a defense is probably not the way to go with this build. While I'm certainly no expert, I've worked a couple builds... one for a crit based staff and one not that you're welcome to take a look at..

Crit based

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUA-d2LjEqYzGbAZpRcBLPwH6IA7SCCm1fid-Vo8q9sa9mGOzSO7DgnL5BVGjjAGnGFzLfVdbFC2rlG11nz7US8mpMHyWdBcrlD9zJyqayqkn3cI5hv5c_qGK2Nz352rNlhhVLrCTkOCZaXeeRRFCDvDlBHCLE__OhmeA2-p2VNvTZHfoTZAdy-iqmUh2pXDZHOnz4t0h0U-tJmnuNqFm9Yrl6lE3GPRkWO-4u18qluNZLYvf4KpldN4_6PMZ464fJFn9_vfEz_PC3Grrc-PAWaO0PITwQ=

And Non-Crit

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUA-d2LjEqYzGbAZpRcBLPwH6IA7SCCm1fid-Vo8uw4Jy-QVRo4wBpxhcy31XWxQlnz9zJyqayq6hitjc9-dqzZYYVS6wk5DgmWl3nkURQg7w5QR3gNvqdlTb02R36E2QHcvoqplIdqtfKpbjWS2L2mV03j_o8xnp_f73w8BZo7fNkyCXJsbEaQbIIHqSdhIXTthO8FLXrvYEteEycgiiIs-yFVwKYHddw9Xz_BBAtheWjZfDpSDjwUcaQZtiwl3xv6-OtqAZe0ValKyG6qvJ8YkQ==

You'll notice that the non-crit version actually has much better defense stats, and higher life. I'm actually running a Marauder with a non crit 2h build with very close to the same stats...
Last edited by edgrubermn on Jan 21, 2015, 12:50:32 PM
You take no life but all the damage nodes seems to be a big issue.

Here's my current life based Marauder build. I do over 63k DPS when all my power charges are up, and that doesn't take into account the light pen either. DPS is pretty good, but I still need to find a way to deal with elemental damage better; elemental and chaos are problematic right now.

Spoiler

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAA-4EswmWDc0TcRQgFkAWbxcvGGoaOBo-HM4dFB2-JKonLyo4K1At0jH7MokzhzQxNZI5DjrYOuE8LT0PPfxBckbXTeNQR1XWVylYB1hjWK5Z816lXz9k52aecYVyqXasd-V4L3zlf-OApIKbhVKFfYzPj0aQVZJ9l3mYb5o7m6GiAKlurKqtjbFCtfK3PryawBrAZsT2xq7G2Mlnz37Yvdlh3CPhc-Nq5FHlz-oY6wnsOO1E7w7wH_Iv8kXzEfZI9zL60vuL_gr-VP6P

My gear and gem set-up below. It's real pricey, but you can see what curses I use with HoT.

Spoiler

I decided to self cast IC so that I can level up the gem. Right now self cast IC lasts me ~12 seconds per 5 End Charges. So that will take care of any physical concern. Like I said earlier, elemental and chaos are still problematic.

I started with static strike, then moved to heavy strike, then finally settled on lightning strike. Why move away from static or heavy? I didn't want to use up a gem slot on melee splash. I just didn't feel like I was leeching life fast enough with a single target attack.

If my single target didn't land, then I couldn't leech life. Light strike will at least give me multiple opportunities to leech, provided the targets are cursed. It's also got a very high base damage.
Thank u for sharing your build.

I dont think my life pool is the Problem.
physical, lighning and cold damage are no Problem for me.

Only fire damage rips me away in no time. seems to be a Balance Problem for me.

u are using lightning strike, thats not close combat, it is range combat. u are using lighning coil and a lot of totems/minions that tank for u, nice build u ve got, but it is the same build like 1000 others (range, lightning coil, minions/totems, cwdt and/or immortal call) + arctic armour and mind over matter eldritch, ci + shav, acrobatics, block (any ohter build will fail to 90%) and thats a shame. but maybe i am wrong.

the Point is ... fire damage is a huge Problem.

voidbearers, canibals, flameblast Exile are impossible for me. i ve got 75% resist and i am 14 Levels higher then my Encounter ... no Chance at all.
Why is fire damge so powerful? i ve tried arctic armor, but no Chance to get the mana reg.

i think it is impossible to Play my build any more. and that makes me sad. i ve planed so much and just want to Play my own build, but at the end i am forced to Play one of the game-breaking builds if i want to go further in the game. or got fun with my own build and stuck in lvl 66 White maps ...

i think Close combat and defense are not balanced at all.
maybe i Switch back to range dd, push the 1 button and get boring while doing it :)

poe has no room for casual builds or ideas. ist alway the same way: u have to use this, u have to use that and u Need that too or u will rip rip rip
I don't think the build itself is the problem, I think you just need to tweak around the edges. The first comment is totally right: you've invested a lot in damage nodes, and not enough into elemental resistance nodes. I'd suggest getting Barbarism and Diamond skin (and their corresponding minor nodes). Furthermore, there are some damage nodes you've taken that just don't seem to make much sense. For instance, Storm Weaver - you've diverted down to get it, but you could have gotten Breath of Lightning for fewer points, and more bang for your proverbial buck as far as the build goes by Breath of Lightning's bump to shock. I'd also avoid Blunt Instrument, because boosting your crit chance and lightning damage is where you get the punch of the build, not the physical damage. Put the resulting savings into the elemental resist nodes mentioned above, improve your fire resist gear, and I'd think you'd be just fine.
Last edited by VinceKlortho on Jan 27, 2015, 8:48:19 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info