1.3 Mjolner "The Thunder God" (Vaal Pact, Super Tanky, HC viable, Atziri Down, Cheap)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Thunder God Mjolner Build 1.3 HC Viable
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

I had posted my build before in another thread and after getting so many requests and questions about the build, I have decided to write up a build guide for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Required Gear

Technically only the Mjolner and Romira's Banquet are the only thing that is Required, as you can just gear for high stats on your gear and ring slot instead of use the Astramentis.

I highly recommend the Shield/boots though as it will really increase your defense in tandem with Rumi's concoction giving you a insane 60% block and spell block.
About this Build
Ok so I decided to try Mjolner out and since 1.3 had just been released I decided to just create my own build. I wanted 2 things. One: to clear insanely fast, and two: To never die.

I really feel I have accomplished these two things really well.

I am currently sitting at 72% Physical damage reduction and with my 2 Rumi's up almost 100% uptime I have a whopping 59/59% BLock and Spell Block as well as 84% Physical damage reduction. Combine this with Vaal Pact and Life leech from Arc/Discharge and you are talking about some insane healing and mitigation.

Reflect is a joke as you can easily target a full screen of reflect mobs and heal yourself to full instantly.

With dual curse up and running you get a whopping 95% reduced lightning resist on every mob, which in turn melts everything on your screen. Depending on the amount of mobs around a boss you can also melt most bosses in just few seconds.

With 100% chance to hit and zero chance to crit, this build can take advantage of having higher power charges and increased discharge power as the charges can not be reset by critical hits. And since you can not crit you never have to deal with any spiky reflect damage incoming.
The Passive Tree
Please note that I chose the Scion class mostly for aesthetic reasons.I like the way she looks more then the Marauder or Templar.

But technically you can use Templar of Marauder as the Scion has 1 passive that is completely wasted. But in the end it really does not matter which you choose. Just go with what you like best either Templar, Marauder, or Scion.

Scion Version

Marauder Version

Templar Version

Current Gear

Spoiler

I really recommend a Staunching flask because if you encounter a Volatile Blood you will probably get 20 stacks instantly from the sheer speed at which you hit/proc Mjolner.

I also carry a Heat flask to deal with frozen, which can get you killed quickly since you can not attack while frozen and since you can not attack you can not leech which is your biggest source of mitigation.
Defensive Stats
Spoiler
With Just Aura's On NO flaskWith just Rumi's concoction on for the spell block/block

Links

Mjolner Arc (top Left)-- Discharge -- Life Leech
You can swap out Arc with Conc Effect on certain boss fights like uber atziri
4L Lightning Strike(Level 9, no Quality) -- Faster Attacks(20%Q) -- GMP (20%Q) -- Multistrike
5L Lightning Strike(Level 9, no Quality) -- Faster Attacks(20%Q) -- GMP (20%Q) -- Multistrike -- Chain (20%Q)

Or alternatively you can use Curse on hit which I highly reccomend.
5L Lightning Strike(Level 9, no Quality) -- GMP (20%Q) -- Multistrike -- Cusre on hit(20%Q) -- Elemental Weakness(20%Q)
6L Lightning Strike(Level 9, no Quality) -- GMP (20%Q) -- Multistrike -- Curse on hit(20%Q) -- Elemental Weakness(20%Q) -- Conductivity(20%Q)

If you have a 5l and a Doedre's Damning ring you can still use double curse on hit setup.

What you can do is add curse on hit to your boots with Herald of thunder and Conductivity. This will not be quite as effective as having both curses applied instantly on attack, but you will find that it is still extremely effective and viable.

Aura's Reduced Mana -- Haste -- Determination
alternatively you can use a Purity if you are low on resist or herald of thunder if you want to use double curse and do not have a 6L.

Single Target Setup
4L Molten Strike -- Faster Attacks(20%Q) -- GMP(20%Q) -- Multistrike

I found molten strike to be extremely good vs single target, just use LS to apply curse then go ahead and destroy them.

Travel Ability
Leap Slam -- Faster Attacks -- Blood Magic

How To Gear

Ok so you have got yourself a Mjolner and decided to try out this insanely fun and tanky build.

First things first you got to get to 60 and get those high stat requirements met. At first this can seem very daunting, but do not worry, it is much easier to get then you might think.

I personally use the Astramentis to help acquire the stat requirement, and I like the extra health you get from the 110'ish strength also.

Generally speaking attack speed and spell damage is what you want to gear for if you need more dps and obviously you want as much life and armour as possible to boot.

Attack speed is great because the more you attack, the more you proc Mjolner. Attack speed directly translates to more and more dps. That is why Quality on Faster attack, GMP, Chain and any other gem that increases attack speed is so great.

I highly recommend a Doryani's belt for some dps boost and nice lightning leech, which works well with Vaal Pact. Also a Ratpith Globe and Rainbowstride boots is recommended as it boost your spell block chance, which is really useful and key in dealing with reflect.

Combine that with a Rumi's and you basically have 60% block and spell block at will, if not all the time. This is nice as this allows all types of damage to be negated completely, chaos, elemental spell, range, melee etc..

As for the Gloves I recommend just getting the highest armour you can get and the highest attack speed and life available. You can acquire some stats here and resist to fill out any gaps in your defense.

For the Helmet, I would recommend the same, high armour, life and any stats/resist you need.

If you still need some resist/life/stats you can flesh this out with the ring slot that is left. I currently use the Doedre's Damning ring for the extra curse. This allows me to use a 20% qaulity curse on hit for the 10% increased effectiveness and the 20% Qaulity Conductivity and Elemental Weakness for a insane 95% lower resist.

This can be insanely powerfull as resist mobs will die very fast and mobs with zero resist will now have negative resist. This in turn acts as a damage multiplier. For example if a mob goes negative 95% resist , he would take 95% "MORE" damage from the attacks. This is extremely powerful.

So Why Vaal Pact?

I understand that this build is extremely tanky and Vaal Pact might not be needed but in my opinion it is too valuable in this type of a build to ignore. You could go with iron will in your Mjolner for more damage, but I think you will find that the damage is quite fine with life leech gem in.

For those that do not know, how Vaal pact works is like this. If you use an attack that has a leech mechanic, whether from gems or gear, the life leech is instead applied instantly at 40% effectiveness. Without vaal pact, the leech is applied over a period of time based on your total health.

Why is this so good? Well for starters, it mitigates and insane amount of damage because you will be dealing an insane amount of damage. And all that damage will be then linked to your Life leech gem, which will then instantly heal you. Combine this mechanic and reflect mobs are completely useless.

You may have to be-careful with reflect groups that are large if you do not have a Rumi's yet, as a Rumi's will allow you to take zero damage from reflects.

A alternate to Rumi's early on if you can not afford it is a warlords mark, which will allow a larger amount of life to be leeched instantly, in turn negating elemental reflect with ease.

So in the end with the sheer amount of Armour you get from passives, and block/physical reduction you get from this build the instant life leech will allow you to almost face tank anything in the game without moving, except for certain situations which should never be face tanked :)

Pro's and Con's

Pros
One of the Fastest clearing builds in the game.
Extremely tanky
Not as expensive as Crit counterpart which requires Shav's, Acuity etc..
Did I say insanely fast clearing?
Double Curse
316% Increased Armour combined with Determination allowing you to resist Physical damage like a boss.

Con's
Single target can be sketchy depending on the mob and how many mobs are around rare/boss etc..
The Mjolner can be a little expensive for some people.

Conclusion

I hope you all enjoy this build as much as I have. Please feel free to post any questions or suggestion you may have here on the forums, or message me in game or PM me.

Good luck to you all and enjoy cracking some head.

-Thanks to GGG for such a great game.
Last edited by Paragon1 on Jan 18, 2015, 11:00:19 AM
Did I just read the words Mjolner and Cheap in the title?

Can you explain what you mean by that
IGN: SlightRedeye
(GMT + 0:00)
"
SlightRedeye wrote:

Well Compared to allot of Mjolner builds that require gear like Shav's, Atziri Acuity, Volls Devotion etc.. Totalling over 200 exalt in gear.

This on the other can be done for around 20 exalt, which is in reality and in comparison much cheaper. It only took me like 10 days after new league started to earn enough to buy my Mjolner and enough stuff to get started.

So I guess that's what I meant, just that as far as Mjolner builds go , this one is definitely not as expensive as some.
How many is attack per second?
"
FrozenArtas wrote:
How many is attack per second?

Sorry, are you asking how many attacks per second? Well off top my head can't remember exactly, but I can tell you that with the lightning strike and gmp causing chaining the amount of procs/second is just insane, specially with a group of monsters.

To boot on boss fights if you hit the large group while next to the boss, you will set of an insane amount of discharges and wreck the boss so fast.
hi i have on question for you why you need lighting strike lvl 1-9 no quality ? :)
"
Paragon1 wrote:
"
SlightRedeye wrote:

Well Compared to allot of Mjolner builds that require gear like Shav's, Atziri Acuity, Volls Devotion etc.. Totalling over 200 exalt in gear.

This on the other can be done for around 20 exalt, which is in reality and in comparison much cheaper. It only took me like 10 days after new league started to earn enough to buy my Mjolner and enough stuff to get started.

So I guess that's what I meant, just that as far as Mjolner builds go , this one is definitely not as expensive as some.

20 exalt for Romiras, Astramentis, AND Mjolner?

Where are you getting these deals, I want in.

Torment, Cheapest Mjolner is 34 exalts - http://poe.trade/search/ikareniyonirom

Standard, Cheapest Mjolner is 39 exalts - http://poe.trade/search/amkikonomarume

Bloodlines, Only one Mjolner for sale, no buyout

Hardcore, no mjolners are for sale.
Last edited by Detrites on Mar 21, 2015, 1:34:48 PM
Bandit Rewards?
Hi, not sure if u still update this build but i just hit lvl 88 and have been enjoying it a lot!
I made a couple of optimizations in the build where you save about 3 points. You lose 3% all res but imo its a lot more point effective. The chanegs are around the blood magic node/maruader and scion start.

Last edited by Halakoo on Apr 25, 2015, 10:33:58 AM
bandit?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info