[1.3] One Hit Wonder - 2H Static Strike Hybrid Templar

Let's start this off with the fact that this is my first non-summoner character, and I have 3 characters ^_^ I don't have many fancy uniques or gear effects, so this is a regular joe build

In the beginning, the idea behind this build was to pump up the physical damage foundation as high as I could, while being able to use the Carcass Jack and Doomsower to make the AoE explosion as large and effective as I could. After playing for awhile at 50+ I realized that the explosion was just a perk I could use to create screen-wide chaos ^_^

Estiferous means to produce heat. It's just a lucky coincidence that this setup makes it look like you swing so hard that everything explodes in fire!

I'm also planning out a version of this build for Marauder, to take advantage of Iron Reflexes and abundance of Weapon, Melee, and Physical damage % nodes.

Current Terrible Gear

PoE Builder - Current Lvl 71 Tree

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAAW8EBwSzCZYRUBQgGjgaPhpsHwInLyftMtE1uTbFOQ464TwFPC09X0F0QYdDyEVHSphMs08EUEdSU1nzW6Bca18_Z5to8m0ZcYVyqXasfA582X31gIqCm4LHhEiLepBVlFyXeZeVl_SaO52un9-iAKZXpwinK6dVrKqxQrc-uJPAGsBmw23E9sauzGbPftgk2L3a3dxz4XPi9-RR6hjsOO8O73zwH_Iv8kXzEfcy-ej-Cg==

Character Sheet

Now, I know it doesn't look impressive at all. I mean 9226.6 dps is pretty bad when you see these double and triple digit k dps tooltips going around. But the thing is... this build uses a different dps.

The New DPS!

Damage per Swing

I realized after a little bit that the aoe doesn't really play a direct part in a dps build. In many Static Strike videos you'll see mobs die before the aoe actually goes off. This is fine, but it feels like a wasted mechanic to me. So I thought, how effective could I make a single swing using gems that scale and improve physical damage? And how much damage are we actually doing? Let's do some simplified math with the numbers I have on hand.

The Math

I'm no mathemagician, so all of my work in this section is really just guess work supplemented with video analysis.

According to the CS, my main hand damage is 4046 - 7389 per second the average comes to 5717.5 which I'll round up to 5718. The aoe from this damage comes to 5718 - (5718 * .3) = 4002.6 > 4003

Herald of Fire HoF ignites enemies for 148% of overkill damage. This could be 1 - 5717 damage so the average I think is 4231 burn damage depending on how much life the mob took before dying. Elemental Proliferation (EP) takes that ignite damage and spreads it to nearby enemies. With the aoe increase passives and Carcass Jack the spread is a sight to behold!

Herald of Thunder (HoT) is tied to Conductivity to perpetuate shock. ~I got this idea from ZiggyD ^_^~ I know HoT doesn't shock, but 60% of our damage is lightning, and that's not a small amount. Shock lets us deal more damage than we already are and increases the aoe damage as well. So an enemy could get shocked from the initial hit and suffer more damage from the AoE.

Because they're ignited or shocked, Celestial Punishment kicks in and the aoe becomes 5003.8 > 5004... I think. This attack will kill some low life burning enemies and kick in another burst of HoF victims.

So an enemy is hit and all this happens at once, the enemies surrounding it burn for 2859, and take 5004 damage from the aoe. Hopefully, a few of them die and ignite their neighbors for more damage because the overkill from the AoE is greater than the initial swing.

If one of them was shocked, the next pack suffers from conductivity while being hit with the first swing. In ideal conditions a non-target enemy is suffering from an average of 9235 damage... with bad gear and low end gems.

Watching this in action is very entertaining!

The Gems

These are my ideal choices in order of importance.

6L = Static Strike - Melee Physical Damage - Added Fire Damage - Weapon Elemental Damage - Physical to lightning - Lightning Penetration

4L = Herald of Ash - Reduced Mana - Increased Burning Damage (or) Fire Penetration - Elemental Proliferation
> Not sure how that would look on the reserves though.

2+L = Hatred - Reduced Mana - Favorite auras if reserves allow

4L = Herald of Thunder - Reduced Mana - Curse on Hit - Conductivity (or) Warlord's Mark

4L = Cast When Damage Taken - Enduring Cry - Decoy Totem - Immortal Call
> Just playing with ideas

I think there is a 4L left that I could play with. I'll play with ideas when I'm recoloring and linking gear I think.

The Playstyle

I basically play Whack-a-Mole with mobs once I start going. In order to get the most of the overkill damage I try to attack mobs that are low on life. This can be difficult when they burn to death before you get there ^_^

The Videos

I'm having a lot of fun with this build, and I know better gear and quality corrupted gems will improve both my damage per swing and survivability. I'm levelling Arctic Armour so that when I might be able to create enough mana regen to run it, I can.

I'm thinking that a Marauder version might be better suited to the playstyle. The Witch ES and AoE points might not be as beneficial as using them for more armor, life, or damage. I'm definitely keeping Celestial Punishment though.

I hope you guys liked my first build post! I'm expecting a lot of tips to make it better ^_^
Last edited by PenPen79 on Jan 17, 2015, 3:46:58 PM
If you're staying with any 2Hander, you might also look at Duelist... he starts with close access to several good 2h nodes as well... I'm currently running a Staff Templar with Static and love it so far... a little squishy, but I'm working my way toward some life nodes that should help with that. Templars still get good access to a lot of 2h Damage nodes as well... and close access to some good melee crit nodes as well... that whole area of the tree is pretty ripe for 2h builds truthfully.
I agree, that's why I'm contemplating building this with a Marauder.

I'm thinking something like this

Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEAAecFLQmWFCAUcRo4Gj4aVRvIHpQkmycvJ9Un7SmlNZI26DkOOuE8BTwtPfxBdEMxTeNOKlBHVw1YY1nzXhNfP2BLYSFko2ebbpdxhXKpdO12K3Z_eu97jH7ggIqCm4TEhNmE74VSh2qMz5BVkGyRzpd5mjueV57Nn8uf36ZXpzCpJ6mUrKqtjbFCtkG3PrvtwBrEWMT2xq7G2M9-0iHYvdlh5FHqGOsJ7DjvDu988i_yRfKc8xH2SPdN97746_4K_o8=
Hmm.. interesting start what about something like this?

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEACZYUIBo-HpQ5Dj38UEdXDVhjXz92f3uMfuCExIVSjM-Rzpd5nleeza2NxtjPftIh2WHkUesJ7w7yL_ZIdqySffcy6hjcI5hv5c94DQtheWjBBAixP_zoZoTZAdy-ir6nZU29Nkd-qZSHapBsqSdhIYTvdO0FLXrvYEsnIIoiLPshVV4TwKYHddw9MglybGxGqW618ti9NZIxnqZXTeP-j_4KOuHyRcautz5qpWoE_TDyQYIH2XwB56cwn8sYkbyf_EsUTaQZtiwl3xv6OlI=

It gives you lots more life, more %Phys damage (which you convert to Lightning), and the nice armor nodes in the duelist area, a bunch of attack speed for those slow 2 handers and some accuracy and crit. Also added souls of steel wheel for extra armor, but you could also conversely pick up Resolute Technique and drop all the crit, and accuracy and pick up nodes for the weapon you're going to stick with or drive up into the Templar area for Amplify like you did in your build. You might also pick up Vaal Pact for those Phys reflect mobs....

Not sure on the need for IR, since you're primarily going to be armor focused as a marauder... you might put those points elsewhere...

Resolute Technique build idea...

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEACZYUIBo-HpQ5Dj38UEdXDVhjXz92f3uMfuCExIVSjM-Rzpd5nleeza2NxtjPftIh2WHkUesJ7w7yL_ZIdqz3MuoYeA2E2QHcvoq-p2VNvTZHfqmUh2qQbKknYSGE73TtBS1672BLJyCKIiz7IVVeE8CmB3XcPTIJcmxsRqlutfLYvTWSMZ6mV03j_o_-Cjrh8kXyQYIH2XwB56cwn8sYkbyf_EsUTaQZtiwl3xv6OlJ82UrIbqoqOBLhagGXtFWpcqk26FivRmk=

And here's another tweak that adds Elementalist and Celestial Punishment, but has less life...

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgEACZYUIBo-HpQ5Dj38UEdXDVhjXz92f3uMfuCExIVSjM-XeZ5Xns2tjcbYz37SIdlh5FHrCe8O8i_2SHas9zLqGHgNhNkB3L6KvqdlTb02R36plIdqkGypJ2EhhO907QUteu9gSycgiiIs-yFVXhPApgd13D0yCXJsbEapbrXy2L01kjGepldN4_6P8kGCB9l8AeenMJ_LpBm2LCXfG_o6UnzZSshuqio4agGXtFWpcqk26FivRmmsqlnzwBpxhbFC8xGQVRo4gpvsOCcvvJ8UTfxL

Heck this idea kinda strikes me as nice.. I may try it myself 8)
Last edited by edgrubermn on Jan 16, 2015, 3:45:02 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info