[2.4] The Dy'Ness Tank

"
Yuuhi_X wrote:
It's an interesting build and I like being tanky, as long as my dps doesn't suffer from it. Could you post some videos of your build running through maps (Preferably the more tougher ones) to show the clear speed and tankiness?

Greetings!

There is a strong potential for me to take a 2-3 month hiatus from the game in the next few days. It was already delayed by a few days otherwise I would be out already. I will look into posting a video or two before I depart. Otherwise it will be after I return.

~Dy'Ness
QBotU_DyNess - www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1171890
Last edited by DyNess on Jan 30, 2015, 3:41:35 AM
Free bump on this rock of a tank. Just maybe work on your mobility to catch people in pvp. Otherwise nice regen tank! :)
What a amazing thing to behold. As a new player, who has fairly slow reflexes, the notion of building a tank in ARPGs has never been far from me, so after having trouble already in cruel with my first character, a Witch, who was built half damage/half survivability, I looked up tank builds and found this...

Even as a player with zero understanding of end-game mechanics or challenges, the mathematics of what you have made out of the passive skill tree is a wonder.

So I decided to level my second character, a Scion, based on this with Incinerate as primary spell, starting out by picking up Zealot's Oath and all the life regeneration skills, only pursuing energy shield skills afterwards, and I must say that, so far, it is working great.

I do wonder whether a small optimization of your build might not be in order, though. Copying your build into poebuilder:

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAA2E356Gh02mKUoLiT6-4o-oLHGmydrqcIU1JFnZrg7Dh8S7aG7SCCm2jyPC1M_69sU6UMXxynxq4J9tR8Bg4n7cT2KS7xrFcN2WEZLl8_Gj58uMRY9kiMdp48W6CnVXwO6roNfFfJ98G3PkGHkFUnLxzckye0DEuuGyXZW20ZIvRsCw2N6QKnKzW5EVAvb9kTcLvsGMHFf8Ysv7EFuNCBr9o6SbHXz_k374hWYxXXhq7GnhB_DH03ZjQKkNYspkNjms9xTcQVtzGPRhcv-tIdFEKjJLCApMNtXGuESPfXm6EBb-L3

It struck me that since you were willing to devote some points to damage, were they allocated optimally? There are four points invested in elemental damage for 40% total, but you are so close to Celestial Judgement, and the route to Celestial Judgement is extremely close to Sovereignty, so one little tweak and changing connections, and you get:

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAA2E356Gh02mKUoLiT6-4o-oLHGmydrqcIU1JFnZrg7Dh8S7aG7SCCm2jyPC1M_69sU6UMXxynxq4J9tR8Bg4n7cT2KS7xrFcN2WEZLl8_Gj58uMRY9kiMdp48W6CnVXwO6roNfFfJ98GQVScvHNyTJ7QMS64bJdlbbRki9GwLDY3pAqcrNbkRUC9v2RNwu-wYwcV_xiy_SbHXz_k374hWYxXXhq7GnhB_DH03ZjQKkNYspkNjms9xTcQVtzGPRhcv-tIdFEKjJLCApMNtXGuESPfXm6EBb-L3RtdXKXGFwBpmng==

The difference?

+10 INT
-10 STR
-8% elemental damage
+2% fire penetration (and frost and shock, which isn't relevant here)

and one fewer skill points used than the original build, that can be used for... well, whatever. Another 6% energy shield, STR if the amount of STR you had in the first place was at all important to you (I doubt it), or, of course, it could be used to change the 32% elemental damage from beelining for Celestial Judgement into 24% fire damage and 26% elemental damage by transitioning along the two 12% fire nodes rather than the single 6% elemental node.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Feb 3, 2015, 6:04:33 PM
I been following this build and I have to ask this...

how do you think the change of interaction between CWDT and Enduring Cry will affect this build?
I have been trying to get this build to work and due to the low damage at levels 60+ it is hard to clear area's. I have been grouping and acting as a aura bot while the others do the dps.

I know when you get better gear and spec more into the fire/elemental dps nodes it will get easier. My gear is not the greatest and it is hard to get now since the leagues are coming to an end in a few weeks and the prices are over priced.

Being on HC/Bloodlines means if you mess up once you go home.

I could respec into more dps nodes but then my ES goes down, if you are having better luck with this build let me know. I would love to see how you allotted your points at what level to survive and start mapping.

Bentwick
Bentwick, as Dy'Ness is taking an absence from POE for a few months and is thus unlikely to reply soon, let me tell you what I did and why it worked for me so far.

Note1: I am a new player playing softcore and have died more than a few times for that reason, but I believe that the skill progression I decided on should work well in hardcore for somebody aware of the potential dangers in the game and knowledge of how to use crafting/trading to his advantage. I have been playing solo, so can't say how much help I'd be when grouping or whether my clear speed of areas is low or high. Mostly I just stand there waving the flamethrower until things die, using healing pots before CI and granite pots after to save me, with Lightning Warp as an escape move until around level 70 or so when I decided I didn't need it any more.

Note2: I did NOT go with Fire Storm but with Incinerate because I couldn't stand the sound of the scion crying out loud with each Fire Storm cast. I used LMP until I found a GMP.

Note3: I was fortunate to have found a Karui Ward on my first character - the 30% increased projectile speed it offered was to awesome that even now, by level 78, I am still using it. I have also been using the best wand with increased projectile speed I have found. (If I'd been a veteran player I'd have been able to acquire a quality incinerate to give me range, but that was not an option at start.)

Note4: I possibly went CI later than a veteran player would have done, but I was so scared from the stories I'd read about going CI first, that I decided it was better to be safe than sorry.

Note4: While I did slot on CoDT as and when I acquired the gems, a key early component from the moment it became available was having a Herald of Thunder with CoH-Flammability in support and having Added Lightning Damage in the Incinerate's link; I can't (yet) afford to run HoT-Vit-Dis, but being able to switch between HoT-Dis (easy trash clearing) and Vit-Dis (bosses, general nastiness) has been very useful. Later it got replaced with a CoDT casting Enfeeble, but HoT is still there to use instead of Vit on trash, as the massive 11.1% regeneration is quite enough already.

So this is how my build went:

20pt - Initial foray into life generation.
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAlKDYTfnoaHTaYlNSRZ2a4OvuKPqCx7c-QYdTpQxfHKfGrp2upwi4kw==

37pt - Zealot's Oath, Light of Divinity, Elementalist, and more defenses.
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAlKDYTWh02mJTUkWdmuDr7ij6gsf56PfBGmydrqcIuJNTpQxfHKfGrrc-QYfVpuQigpvsOClP7SCiAOFzaPLwH1ugp1V8Dg18V8k=

54pt - All life regen nodes in the plan have been taken and the upper arm is reconnected via str+dex rather than str+str as I need dex for LMP/GMP support. Also Diamond Skin for an additional 15% elemental resistance - it can be specced out of when no longer needed.
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAlKDYTWh02mJTUkWdmuDr7ij6gsf56PfBGmydrqcIuJNTpQxfHKfGrtWm5CKCm-w4KU_tIKIA4XNo8vAfW6CnVXwOCfbUfAYOJ-3E9jwtGj58uCku8axXDdlhGS7EWPZIXz_yLw18V8mvbEz_

At this point the energy shield only gets a +30% max bonus and potions are frequently used despite the rapid regeneration of the energy shield, but that's about to change.

74pt - lots of defenses and Inner Force have been added, next up is CI - and then a mix of offense and defense with focus on defense.
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAlKDYTWh02mJTUkWdmuDr7ij6gsf56PfBGmydrqcIuJNTpQxfHKfGrtWm5CKCm-w4KU_tIKIA4XNo8vAfW6CnVXwOCfbUfAYOJ-3E9jwtGj58uCku8axXDdlhGS7EWPZIXz_yLw18V8nquhzckye0DG0ZIvRsCw2NGyXZW0uupys1uRFQxp4Qfwx9jHaePEz_r2zpAg==

87 pt - CI, Faith of the Savant, Harrier.
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAlKDYTWh02mJTUkWdmuDr7ij6gsf56PfBGmydrqcIuJNTpQxfHKfGrtWm5CKCm-w4KU_tIGjyW6CnVXwOCfbUfAYOJ-3E9jwtGj58uCku8axXDdlhGS7EWPZIXz_yLw18V8nquhzckye0DG0ZIvRsCw2NGyXZW0uupys1uRFQxp4Qfwx9jHaePEz_r2zpAlZjFdeGriy_wcV_xjdmNAqQ1iymgwlGceGIffW2hnxL

Note that I've picked up a +30 DEX node, Expertise, to keep supporting GMP, bringing the number of nodes that only exist due to lacking gear up to two.

98 pt Unnatural Calm, Celestial Judgement
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAAlKDYTWh02mJTUkWdmuDr7ij6gsf56PfBGmydrqcIuJNTpQxfHKfGrtWm5CKCm-w4KU_tIGjyW6CnVXwOCfbUfAYOJ-3E9jwtGj58uCku8axXDdlhGS7EWPZIXz_yLw18V8nquhzckye0DG0ZIvRsCw2NGyXZW0uupys1uRFQxp4Qfwx9jHaePEz_r2zpAlZjFdeGriy_wcV_xjdmNAqQ1iymgwlGceGIffW2hnxLw21ca4RI99eboY9GRtdXKXGFwBq3MQ==

This is where I am now; I went for Unnatural Calm first, and by then I was able to farm merciless Dominus without any worries with around 5k ES, having to dodge some of his lighting attack, but tanking most of his damage. I've been farming him and learning how to do lowlevel (66-70) maps since then while upgrading my gear. The next obvious step is to pick up Celestial Punishment and then go for the NW aura node. With that I should be able to run HoT-ViT-Dis at the same time.

Again.. This was not hardcore. I can truly say that I've never really felt lacking in damage. I am now playing occasionally with a friend, and while his high level characters do more damage than mine while attacking, they are rather fragile by comparison and have some downtime when they are not attacking and instead trying to survive. I still die occasionally out of overconfidence, because there's something about this build that makes me feel immortal, but the deaths are few and far between and a hardcore player would be unlikely to make that particular mistake.

Still, we are both new players and these L70+ are out first, so perhaps our damage is low compared to the norm? I think that everything except bosses and elemental resist mobs dying in a few seconds in the long range (+52%) flamethrower is fast enough, but what would I know? Then again, if I'd wanted high damage rather than survivability, I'd not have gone for an ultimate tank build!

I crafted a 6L armour and my current main spell is thus:
Incinerate->Greater Multiple Projectiles->Mana Leech->Spell Echo->Fire Penetration->Faster Casting.
Scionic Flametank 3.2: The classic ES-CI-ZO-GR regeneration tank is back in business, stronger than ever before with 50-60% ES/s recovery during most fights due to creative use of regeneration, leech, and recovery mechanics
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1271604
Last edited by Pi2rEpsilon on Mar 3, 2015, 7:38:50 PM
Thanks for the skill tree progression and information on what to take at what level, I will try this out again on standard since I RIPed to a living blood (hate him) at 68.
Could someone please explain me the purpose of the Arc in the CWDT level 1 setup? Is it to shock ennemies more often?

Is it because Immortal Call would have removed the precious Endurance Charges and that a filler was needed?
Hey, I met you on PvP and had a quick chat about your build and then you had to go, during when I was suggesting a change which I believe would be a major improvement to your build. My IGN was Sacrifire.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAA2E2UoNpiaHT56ILHKPoMfevuV8mYrdo6EH-4kzeDDXyBr8aepwim6-q6uNCdro9GLKY0CrQMsQUabB0Um6E3ZpDWkyf3weQi-tL31xzc74gpTxcvhEh_xg2N-TfsOCSwXGvi9xGWwcVsC9fPgpsnL548QqPDbQFvDkjsGCy_IvRJse0gkFWMdoCkXfJwu4aubRm2hrcxtvfZExXXEVDZW3xLKwovb1ZjNbkbJWjyES-nK0uuQ2N8Dutj6QKaz6dVmZpxTVugtUhtbOd02xoQe7469UvBAIt6BiMfQQMeFr8=

My change completely drops the Marauder side of your tree, as well as the Quick Recovery cluster as I believe you invested too much for such inefficient nodes. I understand the point of your build is to achieve tankiness through massive regeneration, however the points spend on small amounts of regen with the rest going to waste, I believe the points could be much better used to invest into the Shadow side of the tree and net an extra 78% energy shield (which will also net some regen), as well as the Sniper and Coordination nodes for you to buff your heavily projectile-based set-up.

For this to work optimally, unfortunately dropping Firestorm for EK would be necessary. This is due to the fact that Firestorm is an elemental spell and will thus gimp yourself from EE. I place such high importance of EE for your build due to the amount of elemental damage variation between your CWDT setups, allowing you to obtain practically a permanent 50% resist reduction. Also, the projectile damage and speed nodes will also be a very nice bonus when you make the switch to EK due to its buffing of your other projectile skills (Ice Spear, Fireball, Arctic Breath).
Greetings!

I got back a few hours ago and had time for two matches. I am waiting on a few things for work right now and figured I would post a reply which is over due.

"
Pi2rEpsilon wrote:
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAA2E356Gh02mKUoLiT6-4o-oLHGmydrqcIU1JFnZrg7Dh8S7aG7SCCm2jyPC1M_69sU6UMXxynxq4J9tR8Bg4n7cT2KS7xrFcN2WEZLl8_Gj58uMRY9kiMdp48W6CnVXwO6roNfFfJ98GQVScvHNyTJ7QMS64bJdlbbRki9GwLDY3pAqcrNbkRUC9v2RNwu-wYwcV_xiy_SbHXz_k374hWYxXXhq7GnhB_DH03ZjQKkNYspkNjms9xTcQVtzGPRhcv-tIdFEKjJLCApMNtXGuESPfXm6EBb-L3RtdXKXGFwBpmng==

The difference?

+10 INT
-10 STR
-8% elemental damage
+2% fire penetration (and frost and shock, which isn't relevant here)

and one fewer skill points used than the original build, that can be used for... well, whatever. Another 6% energy shield, STR if the amount of STR you had in the first place was at all important to you (I doubt it), or, of course, it could be used to change the 32% elemental damage from beelining for Celestial Judgement into 24% fire damage and 26% elemental damage by transitioning along the two 12% fire nodes rather than the single 6% elemental node.

Good catch. I didn't see that one. When I looked over everything I could spare 25 STR. I switched to your route and took the 10% spell damage on the Scion start node. An increase in overall damage, slightly less than if I took the 12% fire but it supports all of the CWDT. At the next level I will look at dropping it to go for Celestial Punishment and trying that out.

"
Gallaxe wrote:
Could someone please explain me the purpose of the Arc in the CWDT level 1 setup? Is it to shock ennemies more often?

Is it because Immortal Call would have removed the precious Endurance Charges and that a filler was needed?

I did not have any issues with Immortal Call. I use the Arc to shock and it has a 25% chance. In addition, I can switch it out for Lightning Warp or Enfeeble (As enfeeble is not used when running maps. Please see the gear shift section.)

"
JDSH wrote:
I been following this build and I have to ask this...

how do you think the change of interaction between CWDT and Enduring Cry will affect this build?

If/when they change Enduring Cry to no longer function with CWDT it will weaken the build against physical damage and I will look at putting something else there or reworking that CWDT node into a higher level one or Enfeeble may become a permanent fixture.

@Mysterise: It was a good match and I appreciate your feedback. I took a look at the tree and it would remove 7% regen which would basically reduce the regen by 1000. While some extra ES nodes may help counter that, I do not know if I would give up my armor and the regen for it. When I have more time, either tonight or tomorrow, I will take a look and post the difference a single +6% node makes. From what I remember earlier, the regen has been the key, not max ES. Max ES has been helpful and more of a side effect of how the tank was built. It was based around getting the highest regeneration rate possible. While I could drop Firestorm, it is a spell I enjoy.

While I was out, I was thinking of possibly including a LVL 20 or 21 Lightning Warp into my mix instead of the low level one. It will be something I will toy with in the near future.

~Dy'Ness

QBotU_DyNess - www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1171890
Last edited by DyNess on Mar 30, 2015, 9:08:52 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info