[1.3] Kinetic Blast - CoC Frost Wall

I was inspired through Etup's stream to play this build.
You can view his thread at http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1127504/

I'm making this thread to flesh out more details about the build. By the way, this is my first build thread!

Preface

This build takes advantage of the interesting interaction between Kinetic Blast (KB) and Frost Wall. As most of you may know, the beauty of KB is that the projectile spawns several explosions on its point of impact. Similar to Tornado Shot, when KB is linked to LMP/GMP and the target is hit by multiple or all of these projectiles (known as 'shotgunning'), the damage is absurd. With KB, this can be achieved when the projectiles land between your target and a solid surface. Sometimes this surface is a wall or rock, but with this build it's usually Frost Wall! We also invest in ~100% pierce chance for KB to not only allow to projectiles to go through Frost Wall, but also improving our clear speed by hitting secondary, perhaps off-screen mobs.

Disclaimer

I would recommend possessing at least a 5 link before delving into the Frost Wall CoC variant of this KB build. After all, Kinetic Blast is a superb skill by itself and does not need Frost Wall to be viable. However, I myself have not done a lot of testing with this skill beyond this particular build, so I would recommend visiting another build guide if you're on a budget.

Pros:

• Ranged
• Fantastic clear speed
• Due to shotgunning, solid single target damage
• The build shines around level 60 or earlier
• Utilizes EB/MoM, one of the best methods of mitigation
• Frost Wall provides substantial offensive and defensive capability

Cons:

• Link heavy (recommend at least a 5 link)
• Somewhat gear dependent

Gear

Spoiler
My Current Gear:
Spoiler

Gear choices:

Helm - Crown of Eyes
• Crown of Eyes provides accuracy, life leech, mana leech, increased KB damage through spell damage (since KB is not a spell), and a healthy chunk of ES. You can get away without Crown of Eyes, but it's a lot to give up in one nice package. Most importantly, you really should make up for the loss of life leech elsewhere on your gear.

Chest - Cloak of Defiance
• This chest provides our form of mitigation: Mind over Matter. Your tankiness will greatly suffer if you don't use this chest, it's popular for a reason. While I'm sure this build can work as CI or low-life, which would require different chest pieces, that's outside the scope of this build.

Gloves
• Primarily look for life & resists. Attack speed and added elemental or physical damage are nice bonuses.

Boots
• Life and resists. Movement speed is nice, as with any build.

Wand
• Since we leech life through physical attack damage and not elemental, it's imperative that we use a physical wand. What's nice about this build is that you don't need an insane phys wand to make it work. Prioritize crit chance, then attack speed, then physical damage.

Amulet
• Crit chance & crit multi are the strongest offensive stats we can get on an amulet. Added elemental damage and accuracy are also powerful. Try to round out your resists on your other slots so you can afford to equip a badass, offensive amulet.

Rings
• Since we're EB/MoM, I would recommend one ring being more EB based (%mana regen, flat ES, etc.) and the other ring be more offensive (WED, added elemental damage, etc.). Life and resists will help and might be necessary to some degeree.

Belt
• Life and resists. WED is a nice offensive bonus. A lightning/cold Doryani belt would work well too.

Flasks
• I'd recommend at least one instant health potion that dispels bleeding since KB attacks will quickly give you bleed stacks on a Corrupting Blood rare mob.
• One or two elemental flasks that dispel curses and frozen/chilled.
• Rumi's and/or Taste of Hate if you can afford them. These flasks are both so OP it's not even funny.

Current Stats:

• 4319 HP, 1455 unreserved Mana. (5774 effective HP).
• 4555 KB DPS with auras / 6888 with auras & 6 power charges

Gems
Spoiler

- Kinetic Blast
Spoiler

The gems are listed in the order of their priority.

Quality on...
• Kinetic Blast is fairly important. It provides increased area of effect of the explosions. You can get away without it, but your shotgunning potential and clear speed greatly benefits from it.
• GMP is nice for the 10% cast speed at 20% Quality, but not needed.
• CoC is nice for the 20% crit chance at 20% quality, but not needed.
• PCoC is nice for the increased chance to gain a power charge, but not needed.
• Frost Wall increases its width. Haven't tested a 20/20 version of the skill, but I don't think quality is a big deal here.
• Pierce further increases pierce chance. I had a 20 quality, leveled gem sitting around. I haven't tested one without quality, but the higher your pierce chance, the smoother the build will be. We will grab 30% pierce chance on the passive tree.

Note:

• It does not matter what order the links are within your chest piece.
• GMP does not affect Frost Wall since Frost Wall is not a projectile.

- Auras
Spoiler

Overall, we are running Clarity, Herald of Thunder, and Herald of Ice.

Herald of Thunder is linked to Curse on Hit and Assassin's Mark as a secondary method for gaining and maintaining power charges. If you only have a 5 link on your chest (forgoing PCoC support gem), consider self-casting Assassin's Mark instead.

Since this build utilizes Eldritch Battery and Mind of Matter, no reason not to use Arctic Armour. Use whatever level you can get away with.

- Mobility
Spoiler

This is how we'll get around. Between a fast Lightning Warp and the desire to maintain Power charges, the build's playstyle is fast-paced and quickly gains momentum.

- Defense
Spoiler

The classic CWDT, Immortal Call set up. I believe the level of CWDT and the corresponding skills are personal preference.

Passive Tree:
Spoiler

My Current Tree (Level 83 Templar):
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAx4EBwSzBiMHHgmgCaoOSBGWFLAWvxo4HwIfQSaVJy8o-ioLKlstHzLRNZI2PTbFOlg_c0GHRUdFnUlRTLNQMFLsU1JVxlm8XfJfKmHiYqxjQ2pDaxdsjGznbWxwUnDVc3B_xoIegl6Cm4LHg9uJ04uMkFWVIJUummGa4J2qn4iiAKKjpwi0xbVItz64k7zqvu7AVMBmwJrB88JzwuzFKMfKyUTOcNgk2L3Z_NsL217hc-vk6-7sOOyw7SDw1fPq9lv25_nd-ej-Cg==

Shadow variant:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAx4EBwSzBiMHHgmgDkgRlhSwFr8aOB8CH0EmlScvKPoqCypbLR8y0TWSNj02xTpYP3NBh0VHRXxFnUlRTLNQMFLsU1JVS1XGWbxd8l8qYeJirGNDakNrF2yMbOdtbHBScNVzcH_Ggh6CXoKbgseD24nTjDaQVZUglS6Xl5phmuCdqp-IogCio6cItDi0xbVItz64k7zqvu7AVMBmwfPCc8LsxSjHyslEznDYJNi92wvbXuFz5Rnr5Ovu7DjtIPDV8-r2W_bn-ej79f4K

Ideal Tree:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYAAx4EBwSzBiMHHgj0CaAMfQ5IEH8RlhSwFr8aOB8CH0EmlScvKPoqCypbLR8y0TWSNj02xTpYP3NBh0VHRXxFnUlRTLNQMFLsU1JVS1XGWbxd8l8qYeJirGNDakNrF2yMbOdtbHBScNVzcH_Ggh6CXoKbgseD24nTjAuMNpBVlSCVLpeXmmGa4J2qn4iiAKKjpwi0OLTFtUi3PriTuXy86r7uwFTAZsHzwnPC7MUoxp7HyslEznDYJNi92wvbXuFz5Rnr5Ovu7DjssO0g8NXz6vZb9uf56Pv1_go=

Note: The first 5 nodes of the Templar and Shadow trees are identical when wearing Crown of Eyes.
• I'm not sure if Vaal Pact will be the way to go or not. Currently, elemental reflect maps are sketchy on my character. I'll test this soon.

Bandits:

Normal: Oak
Cruel: Kraityn (no big deal if your character chose something else)
Merciless: Alira

Video:
Coming soon
Last edited by nv314961 on Jan 6, 2015, 9:14:34 AM
Looks good! Going to try out a variant of this with Saffel's Frame and 2 or 3 purities and HoT and see if I can avoid going Cloak of Defiance.
Seems nice,waiting for videos
IGN:Niaxe

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info