[Torment 1.3]Static Strike Staff Build.... (Work in Progress)

Morning all!

Working on a concept build for Staff SS.. focused on booting Physical damage with some crit. I'm still not very familiar with the end game gear (since I don't have any characters over level 65 yet)... but so far...

Weapon

Physical Damage Staff
Accuracy if you don't have enough
Attack speed

I've just been using any good blue staff I can find so far (no good rares have dropped yet) and just Alting it to get mods I want.

Gems (These aren't final setups, just current)

Static Strike>WED>Lightning Pen
Physical to Lightning is optional, but I leave it off for now (I'm using it on my Vengeance Gem for added damage and to keep leveling it) to keep the Phys Damage Leech. You could pick up Life on Hit and bypass this little quirk.

Auras

Herald of Thunder
Herald of Fire
Purity of Ice for Cold resist (as needed) in Cruel until I get better resists

Defense Gems

Vengeance>Phys to Lightning>Added Fire
Will also add Riposte as well to the Vengeance as a 4l when I get one

(Future) CWDT>IC>EC>

Bandits

Oak, Oak, Point.

Passive Build
(106 Points) is below...
Made some changes, including dropping staff block, adding Amplify and associated nodes, and rerouted path to Scion Life area to bring nodes closer to other two hand damage nodes in case you want to dip in there with extra points. Total life now increased to 158% with +84 added from tree. It's really a 104 point build with two extra points added to the life and armor nodes right at Templar start...

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUA-d2LjEqYzGbAZpRcBLPwH6IA7SCCm1fid-Vo8q9sa9mGOzSO7DgnL5BVGjjAGnGFzLfVdbFC2rlG11nz7US8mpMHyWdBcrlD9zJyqayqkn3cI5hv5c_qGK2Nz352rNlhhVLrCTkOCZaXeeRRFCDvDlBHCLE__OhmeA2-p2VNvTZHfoTZAdy-iqmUh2pXDZHOnz4t0h0U-tJmnuNqFm9Yrl6lE3GPRkWO-4u18qluNZLYvf4KpldN4_6PMZ464fJFn9_vfEz_PC3Grrc-PAWaO0PITwQ=

Chugging along with this quite well so far... level 45 and counting. Damage is hovering around 1.7k with Static Strike and HoT/F... also using Leap Slam as a closer.. which works rather nicely.

Current Build Level 45) below...
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUABLMaOCcvNI45DkFyRtdKmFfiWfNo8mvZcYVyqXasd-WCm4VShjuLjJBVkn2TB5RcmG-iAKyqrY2vbLFCuUO8msAawGbJZ8xmzLfPftV12WHaudwj4XPlz-oY6wnsOO0g7UTwH_cy-d0=

And current Gear...

Last edited by edgrubermn on Jan 15, 2015, 5:38:16 PM
Last edited by edgrubermn on Jan 16, 2015, 4:33:50 PM
*deleted*
Last edited by edgrubermn on Jan 9, 2015, 1:34:57 PM
Not viable at all really.

Early game auras and heralds alone do the dps you need to advance.
Better choice would be aiming for something like:

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUA-d2LjEqYzGbAZpRcBLPwH6IA4XPtIIKbV-J35Wjyr2xr2YY7NI7sOCcvkFUaOMAacYWxQkbXWfPtRLyakwfJZ0FyuUOnpfcycqmsqpJ93COYb-XP6hitjc9-dqzZYYVS6wk5DgmWl3nkURQg7w5QR18_CLE__OhmeA0LYXlowQS18qlu2L01kjIJcmxsRvrSZp7jahZvNukkqo9GHRRYrl6lE3GE2QHcvoq-p2VNvTZHfodqqZSmV03j_o864f4K8kU9_IzP9khYY-98n988BfMRVyk=

But even that is probably squishy a lot without Belly or Kaom's Heart.
You generally want to scale physical damage from the tree and get a pure physical staff and then use Hatred/Herald of Ash and Static Strike's conversion to get elemental damage.

There is no real reason to run Wrath, on my static strike guy i reach 3k~6k lightning damage per hit without crit with a Physical to Lightning gem.
This is my dps screen without Physical to Lightning gem:
Spoiler

^ Do note, that is dps with RT and not crit and with a 420~ pdps weapon.
Now with a simmilar staff build with crit you reach insane amounts of lightning damage when you crit (10k+ easy).

Added Lightning is a horrbile gem for a 2H user.
You are better of socketing Melee Phys Damage / Multistrike.

For sockets i would go like this, in order of priority:

Static Strike - Melee Physical Damage - Multistrike

Then for next gems you decide:
Physical To Lightning [caution, can't leech without specialized gear or gem]
Weapon Elemental Damage [solid pick]
Increased Critical Damage [solid pick]
Power Charge on Crit [also solid if you can't generate charges any other way, or lack crit]
Faster Attacks [solid pick]

I would suggest looking at some builds seeing as you have no experience past level 65.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on Jan 9, 2015, 2:59:28 PM
Thanks for the feedback.....

Since you seem to be pretty dismissive of the tree, is it simply the 30% difference in life nodes that makes your tree less squishy? I could certainly pick up additional life nodes ... (oddly enough I was looking at my tree again to do just that)

I do understand enough about the game to know that the current setup I have isn't optimal.. it's simply what I have available to me without spending any currency, which I don't have much of at the moment. I don't actually USE Wrath at the moment, but I have it... the added lightning gem is just there for some kind of boost... I'd love to replace it with faster attacks or crit damage.. of course I'd also like a 6l and add all of those... but that's just fantasy at the moment.

I've actually looked at several builds, but never saw anything that was exactly what I was looking to setup... so I'm attempting to piece it together. It's entirely possible that this build I'm working does in fact suck.... but hey, that's ok..

I don't like the multistrike mechanic... it takes too long (to me) to complete 3 attacks during which I lose control of the character.... not something I'm shooting for. Obviously with Faster attacks (a gem I don't have) it would shorten that time tremendously.

Yes I don't have a character over 65, but I do have some grasp of the mechanics... I'm simply working with what I have and trying to learn.

The Iron grip path came from reading a thread where someone actually used it with Static Strike and got good results.... it struck me as odd, but I figured I'd try it then spec out of it if it didn't work out. The other advantage would have been to boost Molten Strike, if the build didn't work so that I revert to using that if needed.
Iron Grip boosts Lightning Strike, as it has projectiles.

Static Strike is boosted by the strength of the hit only, and AoE nodes for the explosion. The explosion part itself is in direct relation to the initial hit so no need for Iron Grip.

Thing is 2H builds really need the life more than other builds since they cannot block.
My suggested tree goes for more crit, attack speed and life yeah.

Anyway the tree you posted is broken, to me it shows only 73 points so can't really tell what you mean when you say 102 points.

My post was more to show you that flat auras and added damage gems don't really scale that well for 2H weapons.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on Jan 9, 2015, 6:00:32 PM
I read the part about iron grip and static strike in a post somewhere and they swore it boosted... I'm still skeptical as there's no mention anywhere that static strike treats the delayed attack as a projectile.

Point taken on the survivability.... I actually changed around my build to get rid of the iron grip path and pick up more damage from the Duelist area as you suggested, as well as added about 20% more life. I've thought several times about dropping the Staff and picking up mace and shield... but the builds I toyed with there didn't seem as solid....may be time for another look at that 8).

Also point taken on the damage gems... again not what I want for the "final" setup, but it's just what I have... actually got a lightning pen gem today and swapped that in for the added lightning. I most likely won't keep that one either, but for now it'll do till I get some other gem drops/rewards.

Not sure why it isn't showing everything.... it's 104 points now.... it must have cut off a bunch of the link when I posted it... I'll repost it in the original post and see if it all comes up... if you're amenable to looking at it again... and for anyone else who might stop by... 8)
Le bump for build update

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info