Character breakpoints

I'm hoping this game will use a system close to the Diablo 2 breakpoint system, as far as Faster Hit Recovery/Faster Run Walk/Faster Cast Rate/Increased Attack Speed. The whole idea of needing to hit a certain number to get the effect is a well rounded character development tool. Example:
Sorceress in Diablo 2
FCR Frames
0% 13
9% 12
20% 11
37% 10
63% 9
105% 8
200% 7

Hope this game has something similar.
"Lightning. It flashes bright, then fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys."
"
iEmpireOD wrote:
I'm hoping this game will use a system close to the Diablo 2 breakpoint system, as far as Faster Hit Recovery/Faster Run Walk/Faster Cast Rate/Increased Attack Speed. The whole idea of needing to hit a certain number to get the effect is a well rounded character development tool. Example:
Sorceress in Diablo 2
FCR Frames
0% 13
9% 12
20% 11
37% 10
63% 9
105% 8
200% 7

Hope this game has something similar.

I actually want to know this too. ;x
D2 had breakpoints because it ran 2d graphics at a fixed 25fps, so actions could only occur every 1/25 of a second. This isn't the case for PoE.

Things like cast and attack times seem to be based on actual time. Weapons don't have attack speed ratings; they have attacks per second. Spell casting speeds are also listed in seconds.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
fps based actions are just plain bad juju
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
I'm simply going to say that due to the nature of the horrible act and the pain one must endure; I absolutely agree with a faster castrate... as fast as humanly possible!

give us it
DanAbnormal
All generalizations are false.
WhiteBoy88 is right. The only reason D2 functioned like that is because of the 2D sprite animation limitations. 3D model animations (like those in PoE) have no such restrictions and the animations can be scaled to any time multiple within machine precision.
Forum Sheriff
Last edited by tpapp157 on Oct 31, 2011, 9:46:57 PM
"
tpapp157 wrote:
WhiteBoy88 is right. The only reason D2 functioned like that is because of the 2D sprite animation limitations. 3D model animations (like those in PoE) have no such restrictions and the animations can be scaled to any time multiple within machine precision.

"
D2 had breakpoints because it ran 2d graphics at a fixed 25fps, so actions could only occur every 1/25 of a second. This isn't the case for PoE.

Things like cast and attack times seem to be based on actual time. Weapons don't have attack speed ratings; they have attacks per second. Spell casting speeds are also listed in seconds.

Wrong and Wrong.

2d Animations are irrelevant whether or not certain breakpoints existed. Diablo 2's breakpoint intervals could of been anything.

You can alter the render speed of a 2d sprite (animating or not) to any speed, there is no such 'sprite animation limitation'.
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Last edited by monkuar on Jan 2, 2016, 12:05:43 AM
"
monkuar wrote:
Wrong and Wrong.

2d Animations are irrelevant whether or not certain breakpoints existed. Diablo 2's breakpoint intervals could of been anything.

You can alter the render speed of a 2d sprite (animating or not) to any speed, there is no such 'sprite animation limitation'.

Three wrongs don't make a right.

You can, in theory, have a video game work whatever way you want. That said, D2's game engine worked in exactly this way, was effectively capped at 25fps (you can render faster, but if the game runs at 50fps then it basically just renders each of the frames twice), and while I don't believe the game mechanics were strictly tied to the framerate of the game, they did assume you were running at 25fps and, therefore, the in-game timer had 0.04 second increments (meaning every in-game action took a multiple of 0.04 seconds).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info