[1.3] Static Soldier (1H+Shield RT Static Strike Duelist/Marauder) Torment, Solo and Selffound

Introduction
This is my first character ourside Standart league, so I decided to make something plain and simple.
Like 1H+Shield Resolute Technique melee character.

The new skill Static Strike feels fun and can be found very early, many needed support gems are Duelist's quest rewards and the guy looks cool in his fancy shirt.
So it was not a hard choice.

Pros:
- melee, close and personal,
- decent balance of damage, mobility and survivability,
- easy to understand,
- easy to play,
- good for new leagues fresh start,
- can be done solo and selffound.

Cons:
- melee, close and personal,
- weak to heavy magic damage
- Will never be your top DPS/immortal/500 MF/etc cookie cutter build, no matter how many exalts you pur into gear.

Skills
(R-R-R-R-G-U)Chest armor:
Static Strike
-- Multistrike (obv.)
-- Faster Attacks (obv.)
-- Life Leech (obv.)
-- Melee Physical Damage (obv.)
-- Weapon Elemental Damage/Added Lightning Damage/Concentrated Effect/Increased Area of Effect (have not decided yet)

(R-R-G-U) Helm/boots/gloves
Hatred
Tempest Shield
Herald of Ash

--Reduced Mana

(R-R R-G) Helm/boots/gloves
Endurng Cry (lvel 5)
-- Cast on Damage Taken (level 1)
Leap Slam/Shield Charge
-- Faster Attacks

All three new Trigger gems, Reckoning, Vengeance and Riposte should be used, but currently I don't know what supports to use. Obv. there should be Curse on Hit + Curse of choice.

Important quality bonuses:
Static Strike - 0.75% increased AoE for 1% Quality
--Added Lightning Damage (if I wll use this support) - 0.5% chance to shock for 1% Quality

Passive Tree
21 point
Mana Flows to sustain attacks, Golem's Blood to sustain HP.

41 point
Resolute Technique to not care about Accuracy any more, Unwavering Stance to not care about stuns any more.

71 point
Sanctuary for resists and Block, Unrelenting for HP and reduced mana cost, Elementalist for damage and resists, Amplify for damage and increased AoE, Sanctity for Armor, regeneration and stats, Tetsudo for Block

94 points
Bloodless for HP, Soul of Steel for survivability, Devotion for HP, Celestial Punishment and Celestial Judgement for damage.

Finished tree for Duelist

Heart of the Warrior for HP, Born to Fight for damage, Combat Stamina for survivability, Scion Life circle and Path of the Warrior for HP and Damage.

Finished tree for Marauder

If you are still not bored with this character, here are good notables to aim for in very late game:
Berserking and Retaliation or Strong Arm if you want damage;
Bloody Bludgeon or Blunt Instrument if you like maces;
Barbarism or Juggernaut if you want safer game

Bandits
Normal: Oak

Cruel: Oak or Kraityn
I helped Oak because I have soft spot for heavier slower hits

Merciless: Kill all
I dislike the CwDT + Immortal Call setup, so I will try to help Oak for +1 Endurance Charge. But this is not recommended.

Gear
You need the following stats your gear:
1-2% Mana Leech to sustain attacks
Int and Dex enough to use gems (exact numbers later).

Weapon (can be any 1 hander, but Axes are better vecause of higher base damage and no unneeded implicit mods):
Primary stats to look for: flat Physical damage, % Physical Damage, Attack Speed, % Weapon Elemental Damage.
Secondary stats to look for: Int, Dex, Resistances, % Life Leech, % Mana Leech

Shield ( or other Armor-based with highest base block):
Primary stats to look for: Additional Chance to Block, HP, Resistances, % Armor, Flat Armor
Secondary stats to look for: Int, Dex.

Chest (Astral Plate or other Armor-based):
Primary stats to look for: HP, Resistances, % Armor, Flat Armor
Secondary stats to look for: Int, Dex.

Boots: (Armor-based)
Primary stats to look for: Movement Speed, HP, Resistances
Secondary stats to look for: Int, Dex, % Item Rarity, % Armor, Flat Armor.

Gloves: (Armor-based)
Primary stats to look for: %Life Leech, %Mana Leech, HP, Attack Speed, Resistances
Secondary stats to look for: Int, Dex, % Item Rarity, % Armor, Flat Armor.

Helm: (Armor-based)
Primary stats to look for: HP, Resistances, % Armor, Flat Armor
Secondary stats to look for: Int, Dex, % Item Rarity.

Belt (Rustic or Leather):
Primary stats to look for: HP, Resistances, % Weapon Elemental Damage
Secondary stats to look for: Flat Armor, % Flask Duration, %Flask Charges Gained, % Flask Charges Used, % Flask Life Recoveryю

Amulet (Jade, Lapis, Turquoise, Gold, Onyx):
Primary stats to look for: %Life Leech, %Mana Leech, HP, Resistances, % Weapon Elemental Damage
Secondary stats to look for: % Armor, Flat Armor, Mana regeneration

Rings (Coral, Resistance needed, Gold):
Amulet (Jade, Lapis, Turquoise, Gold, Onyx):
Primary stats to look for: %Life Leech, %Mana Leech, Attack Speed, HP, Resistances, % Weapon Elemental Damage
Secondary stats to look for: flat Physical damage, Mana regeneration

Flasks:
1) Seething Divine Life Flask of Staunching
Instant heal for bad situations and remover of Corrupted Blood

2) Seething/Bubbling Divine Life Flask of Grounding
Some instant heal and Shock remover

3) Perpetual Graine Flask of of Iron Skin
Huge armor boost when needed

4) Rumi's Concoction
Spellblock for the likes of Map Piety or Dominus

5) Ample/Perpetual Quicksilver Flask of Adrenaline
Sometimes you just need to run fast

Videos
Merciless finished at level 68:
Static Soldier vs Dominus (sorry for shitty sound, forgot to turn off microphone)

Current stats, gear and progress
Currently lvl 69, Merciless is done, farming 66-68 blue maps and Piety for more maps.

Gear:
Spoiler

Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Dec 16, 2014, 6:48:19 PM
Very similar to what I am doing, there are a few differences and things I would suggest. First I think WED is much higher priority than faster attacks with static strike because of the converted damage, I would put my main ones as SS - Multistrike - WED - Melee Physical for the main ones I am not sure faster attacks is really helpful at all to be honest, its nice but seems to be one of the smallest dps increasers. For the last two I am a bit unsure at the moment, I am thinking about a lot of different options there, I was thinking about doing LL and BM to be honest.

The other recommendation I would have would be to separate the reckoning and vengeance gems, I plan on doing one as LL CoH enfeeble the other I plan on doing LL with blind/knockback or chance to flee that one would be on the weapon. The life leech will provide a lot of healing which will counteract the block nerfs, it actually makes you quite tanky in fact.

The other major difference is I am thinking hard about going Vaal pact with LL and BM on the main skill. The main reason is that it makes the build pretty much immune to any issues, I would not have to worry about reflect. The main worry I have at the moment is that the high amount of magic damage means that reflect could easily be an issue with the build. That is more of an endgame concern though for after level 70.
Hi,

What key nodes did you pick up as you leveled?

Great build by the way!
About

-- Multistrike (obv.)

its not that obvious because 3 attacks from multistrike generate only 1 stakc and only 1 explosion ( much like the frenzy charges gained by frenzy )
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
"
Maethorr wrote:
Very similar to what I am doing, there are a few differences and things I would suggest. First I think WED is much higher priority than faster attacks with static strike because of the converted damage, I would put my main ones as SS - Multistrike - WED - Melee Physical for the main ones I am not sure faster attacks is really helpful at all to be honest, its nice but seems to be one of the smallest dps increasers. For the last two I am a bit unsure at the moment, I am thinking about a lot of different options there, I was thinking about doing LL and BM to be honest.

There are several reasons why I rate Faster Attacks so high:
1) This is a melee build, so we have to rush into monsters. Thus, the less time my Multistrike hits take - the higher chance that I will be able to run/Leap away of danger.
2) The physical part is still important because I dought I will have Elemental Life Leech items any time soon. There is Life Leech gem ofcourse, but I want to try without it.
3) I want to apply Shock, but chance from tree is low. So Attack Speed is the only boost avaliable.

"
Maethorr wrote:
The other recommendation I would have would be to separate the reckoning and vengeance gems, I plan on doing one as LL CoH enfeeble the other I plan on doing LL with blind/knockback or chance to flee that one would be on the weapon. The life leech will provide a lot of healing which will counteract the block nerfs, it actually makes you quite tanky in fact.

Since I will have free item, there will be lots of brewing with trigger gems. The one presented in build is just a placeholder since I am poor and have no gems now.

"
Maethorr wrote:
The other major difference is I am thinking hard about going Vaal pact with LL and BM on the main skill. The main reason is that it makes the build pretty much immune to any issues, I would not have to worry about reflect. The main worry I have at the moment is that the high amount of magic damage means that reflect could easily be an issue with the build. That is more of an endgame concern though for after level 70.

The physical reflect will be mitigated quite well with our crapload of Armor.
The elemental one looks worse, but still can be blocked and we have no Crit, so it does not leek that bad IMHO. Time will tell, but Vaal Pact does not feel well because we have at least 4% of life regeneration from tree.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"
buckwildg wrote:
Hi,

What key nodes did you pick up as you leveled?

Great build by the way!

Thanks. I will add leveling after reaching at least early maps. Just to proove that it is worth spending time on.
Currently level 44, I went for Golem's Blood first, then Unwavering Stance, then Tetsudo, then Resolute Technique.
Also took Mana Flows somewhere between above.
Now I am on my way to Sanctuary, after that will go for Unrelenting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"
KorgothBG wrote:
About

-- Multistrike (obv.)

its not that obvious because 3 attacks from multistrike generate only 1 stakc and only 1 explosion ( much like the frenzy charges gained by frenzy )

Just checked on my Standart characters. Multistrike generates 3 charges, just like Reave does.

It is Melee Splash that generates only one charge regardless of how many monsters you hit.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Dec 14, 2014, 5:23:33 AM
"

"
KorgothBG wrote:
About

-- Multistrike (obv.)

Just checked on my Standart characters. Multistrike generates 3 charges, just like Reave does.

It is Melee Splash that generates only one charge regardless of how many monsters you hit.

Interesting because i've tried again and ... only 1 charge per 3 attacks .. idk...
"I'm going to show you pain you never knew existed, you're going to see a whole new spectrum of pain!!!!! Like a RAINBOW!"
Can you comment on how you progressed through the tree? I have not played a melee character since beta and thus am unfamiliar with the tree priority. It would be much appreciated:)!

Also, if you don't mind adding bandits and good unique items to look out for mid/late game :)!

Edit: Realized you already addressed these things above :o. Great guide!
Last edited by Gankker on Dec 14, 2014, 7:23:15 PM
"
Gankker wrote:
Can you comment on how you progressed through the tree? I have not played a melee character since beta and thus am unfamiliar with the tree priority. It would be much appreciated:)!

Also, if you don't mind adding bandits and good unique items to look out for mid/late game :)!

Added that. Not very detailed, but it will do for now.

"
Gankker wrote:
Edit: Realized you already addressed these things above :o. Great guide!

Thank you.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Dec 16, 2014, 7:49:09 AM
Finished Merciless, recorded first video, updated guide.
Interesting build, pretty similar to what I'm doing although there are a number of differences.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1128758 is my build guide.

Differences

1. Obviously the biggest difference is the budget we are working on. Since you started a new league, everything is self-found and this limits your build and gear choices, while I'm working on standard and trying to push a character as far as it can go.
2. I prioritize defences first and dps comes later.
3. The passive links. My biggest doubt is why are you using added lightning damage? It is a flat amount and hardly scales off of your physical damage. I find Physical to Lightning (new gem) to be much better.
4. I am trying to use my counter attacks as a pure damage supplement, and not to apply curses (although this is a possibility to consider).

Similarities

1. We both love Static Strike and think it is extremely strong.
2. Both use 1h+shield.
3. We both are trying to utilize all 3 counter attack gems for damage/defence/utility.

My main questions are would you use BoR and Doryani's Catalyst, if you could?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info