What does this mean?

"Minion and totem resistances have been standardised. Raised Zombies now have 35% and all other minions and player-summoned totems have 25% Fire, Cold and Lightning resistance in all difficulties."

From patch notes.

Does this mean that Vaal summon skeletons' resistances were buffed, that is, they were lower than 25 before?

because they died too easily before, so easy that it rendered them almost useless in high-end game. Almost all of the bosses and any kinds of AoE casters would melt them, but if they have 25 more resists, it would be worth giving them another chance.
Minion resists were mostly reduced, they had one dominant resistance and they increased at certain gem levels. Minions had and have 0 chaos resist.

Zombies had 32/64/32 to F/C/L resists at max level.
Skeletons had 64/32/32 (also vaal skeletons).
Animated guardian and weapons had no resists.

Skeletons aren't meant to tank, they are created out of thin air and are of similar durability. Vaal skeletons are meant to be the ultimate distraction gem, which they mostly accomplish, their duration is low too so they usually don't need to be tankier. From what I saw, they work perfectly.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Well that sucks.

You heard wrong - they either overacheivers or underachievers - any kind of AoE will almost instakill them!, and against melee bosses with single target (which are rare), they pummel him into the ground.

More often than not, they usually don't do enough to justify 4 slots needed to run them.

My take on it.
I've used the gem with my melee char to a good degree - up to high lvl maps - using just a single slot; imho it provides great distraction when you need it (against bosses, rogue exiles,...)

If you put it in a 4L and take a few minion nodes it should be even better, I haven't yet but I'll try it for sure on my next summoner.

"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
"
Wazz72 wrote:
I've used the gem with my melee char to a good degree - up to high lvl maps - using just a single slot; imho it provides great distraction when you need it (against bosses, rogue exiles,...)

If you put it in a 4L and take a few minion nodes it should be even better, I haven't yet but I'll try it for sure on my next summoner.

I forgot to mention that I was talking about non summoner builds. Of course they'll be juggernauts when played by summoner.

Non summoner builds have a hard time - if you summon them on the wrong side of Carnage, he'll oneshot twenty of them.

My recommendation to GGG would be that they make them sturdy enough to stay alive those 20 seconds - they don't need to be juggernauts of destruciton, but if I spent 4 slots and time to cast them in the battle, I expect them to take heat when I need it the most.
"
I forgot to mention that I was talking about non summoner builds. Of course they'll be juggernauts when played by summoner.

I kinda assumed you did. And I don't really agree, it's a fairly specialized gem so they have to be roughly as pointless to a non-summoner as, say, vaal fireblast would be to a dedicated summoner. Summoner is one of four major playstyles along with melee, ranged and caster. Each of those has gems that are useless to other styles, no reason for a summoner to be any different.

If you need a good distraction without investment, try conversion trap with multiple trap support and maybe inc duration if you feel it lasts too short. The skill is nothing short of a tactical powerhouse, you can get good distraction out of it or neutralize troublesome enemies like those with immortality aura so you can tackle them 1 on 1 after their friends are dead. You can even steal awesome boosts if you convert a rare enemy with an aura or a totem.

Last edited by raics on Nov 12, 2014, 2:29:13 PM
"
raics wrote:
"

I kinda assumed you did. And I don't really agree, it's a fairly specialized gem so they have to be roughly as pointless to a non-summoner as, say, vaal fireblast would be to a dedicated summoner. Summoner is one of four major playstyles along with melee, ranged and caster. Each of those has gems that are useless to other styles, no reason for a summoner to be any different.

If you need a good distraction without investment, try conversion trap with multiple trap support and maybe inc duration if you feel it lasts too short. The skill is nothing short of a tactical powerhouse, you can get good distraction out of it or neutralize troublesome enemies like those with immortality aura so you can tackle them 1 on 1 after their friends are dead. You can even steal awesome boosts if you convert a rare enemy with an aura or a totem.

I'll definitely look at your idea, as it seems interesting, but not in this case - you misunderstood me, or I didn't clarify my position enough - Vaal summon skeletons is basically a single target skill for me used for killing bosses - I summon them, they attack it for whatever amount of life they feel like, so I can cast my spells on the boss interrupted.

Works really well with map version of Hillock, Black death, sometimes Vaal and is mediocre with almost rest of them.
Situations where it really sucks is Cells dog boss, Dominus, etc. I'm just advocating that they boost their resistances, and if need be, slightly lower dps to compensate for it, because there is not shortage of gems to boos their dps, and apart from that one, there are no ways for non summoners to boost their resists.
Yeah, I know what you wanted to do with it, and I think you shouldn't be able to. If you want that kind of stunt to work in every situation you need to make a hybrid caster/summoner that uses pets only for tanking and does damage himself.

Honestly, it's already working a lot better for you than it should.

"
raics wrote:
Yeah, I know what you wanted to do with it, and I think you shouldn't be able to. If you want that kind of stunt to work in every situation you need to make a hybrid caster/summoner that uses pets only for tanking and does damage himself.

Honestly, it's already working a lot better for you than it should.

You might be right - after careful consideration, I decided to go with another Vaal skill, Haste.

I'll put Minion life, Minion damage, Minion resists and when shit hits the fan, there go hasted skellies. :)

So if anyonone else who had these kinds of problems is reading this, this is my solution. :)

Slight pro tip :) - If you amass souls with Vaal skill, and take the gem out, it will still contain soul charges when you put it back in, so I plan on carrying Vaal haste with me in map, charge it, and use it on boss.
Worked really well some time ago, don't know if they changed it now.

With increased skill duration nodes, it lasted long enough to be worthwhile for me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info