Towns...

...how big are they? The town in the tutorial video seemed small. Is that representative of all towns?

What kind of shops and buildings can we expect to encounter?
"
MrNick1221 wrote:
...how big are they? The town in the tutorial video seemed small. Is that representative of all towns?

What kind of shops and buildings can we expect to encounter?

It was said before that was the first town on first Act and it was the smallest. Towns will have a player limit so they don't get too crowded and you will be connected on the one with most of your friends. I guess that might mean that some large clans will be able to fill a town by themselves, lol.

About buildings within towns, I'd love to see a NPC that sells weapons with hidden attributes, like Diablo. It's a good gold sink and a fun gamble to get new items.
I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of character interaction they have in the towns, and how the towns and quests will tie into each other. Though I like the gambling from diablo as a goldsink, i'm not sure how it would fit in to PoE as I thought that currency was going to be less gold and more item for item style? Correct me if i'm wrong.
"Do or do not, there is no try" -Yoda
You are correct. There shouldn't be a need for a "gold sink" in this game. As a matter of fact, gold takes up inventory space and the devs already mentioned that you'd probably not keep more than 20 gold in your stash.
"
FruitLord wrote:
You are correct. There shouldn't be a need for a "gold sink" in this game. As a matter of fact, gold takes up inventory space and the devs already mentioned that you'd probably not keep more than 20 gold in your stash.

Interesting. I can see that's going to require an adjustment in the mentality brought to the traditional style for these types of game i.e. a front end loader of gold every time you get near a vendor, heh.
I used to be apathetic, now I just don't care.
I'm early Act 2 and the towns are very small. Couldn't even be called a village, really.

Why are these hubs so small?

It's not really fun to hang around these public spaces.

There should be more space to hang around, while you look at your inventory instead of having everyone stacked on top of one another at the vendor NPC.

Only reason I can think of is designers went for smallest distance to run from teleport to vendor to portals... seems a little overdone.

Put it this way: you hope to sell fluff for people to show off. But where will you show it off? Where will you enjoy the good looking armor or emotes, if there is no nice public spaces to hang around with strangers or friends and look at your stuff?

In Diablo 2 I loved exploring all the nooks and crannies of the towns. There were so many little details.
Last edited by DeF46 on May 13, 2012, 1:30:34 PM
The thing is, they are not towns, but more like encampments or outposts. This is an island of exiles not a country. I actually felt that the first town was perfect. Act 2 hub could probably be a bit larger. I wouldn't want anything to be a full blown town, it just wouldn't fit in with the setting and lore. They could have maybe a bit larger outpost in Act 3 for people to show off their gear, but I wouldn't want it much larger then the rogue encampment from Diablo 2.
if the island has been inhabited for a while im sure further into the island your more likely to find a settlement of some sort...
Also you can only have max of 24(or I think 26) players per town/encampment instance, so no point in making them so huge.

PS. Good job bumping a 2010 thread lol.
Sweeping Maid

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info