[2.1] Whaitiri's Blood Magic Cold Snapper

Welcome to my Cold Snap guide, fellow exile!

If you're looking for a supportive permafreeze char for partyplay, that's also able to hold its own damage-wise well enough to clear maps solo this build may be interesting to you.
______________________________________________________________________________________

About Cold Snap

Cold Snap is a cold-based AoE-spell with high on-hit damage, implicit chance to freeze and a cooldown of 4 seconds. While the cooldown seems to prevent this spell to be used as main skill, you can bypass it by expending a power charge.

There are a few ways to do this, we're using the established method of Resolute Technique with Romira's Banquet, which enables us to indefinitely spam Cold Snap.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Leveling this build

Unfortunately you can't level properly with this build, because Romira's Banquet has a level requirement of 60. Until this level, it's best to just use established methods like Flame Totem + Firestorm, Bladefall or leveling in a group.

Passive Tree

20pt - 40pt - 60pt - 80pt - 100pt - 120pt

Bandits

Oak - Alira - Oak

Gems

This setup gives us the highest on-hit damage for maximum freeze duration while maintaining a good AoE. Until you have a Blood Magic staff, you'll have to use a Blood Magic gem.

While Cold Snap is great for freezing stuff, its single target damage is not that good.
This setup is our fix for that, use it for single targets and reflect rares.

Herald of Ice adds a good amount of damage to our Cold Snap, and deals lots of damage through the AoE-explosion occuring on shattering an enemy.
Frostbite lowers enemies cold resistance and gives us more chance to freeze, while Warlord's Mark gives us leech and Endurance Charges on kill. With Blasphemy we won't have to manually cast these curses.

Immortal Call gives us a good uptime of physical immunity in combination with Endurance Charges from Warlord's Mark, Frost Wall saves us from ranged enemies until they're frozen.

Lightning Warp is our movement skill, mostly to get past our selfcasting Frost Walls.
Summon Flame Golem gives us additional damage for more freeze duration.

Gear

Your staff doesn't really need much, only +2 Cold Gem Level and a free prefix for Vagan's Blood Magic craft. +1 Gem Level, Cast Speed and Cold Damage% are great additions.
Taryn's Shiver is also good, mostly due to buffing damage for everyone in your party. But the downside is that you'll have to use Blood Magic gem.

Carcass Jack synergizes will with all our skills and the Blasphemy setup. You can also use a rare chest if you're on a budget.

All you need from these slots is life and resistances. 30ms on boots is nice to have, Dexterity allows you to drop +30 Dex nodes in the passive tree.

Life and resistances build the base, Movement Speed or flask-related mods are also good.

Romira's Banquet is absolutely required to run this build. Its roll doesn't matter, get the cheapest you can. The other jewelry only needs Life and resistances, Cast Speed, Spell/Cold Damage% and Dexterity are good additions.

Try to replicate this flask setup. If you can't afford Taste of Hate, use a Granite Flask of Iron Skin and replace one Quicksilver Flask with a Sapphire Flask or Heat.

Try to get jewels with Freeze Chance/Duration and any form of Cast Speed. Life% is great but increases jewel cost. Also good to have is Spell/AoE/Cold Damage.

Mapping

This build is best played in a group, but can also solo maps. Try to stay behind your Frost Walls and aim into the middle of a pack to make the most out of your AoE. If you see a reflect rare, pop your Sapphire Flask and use Glacial Cascade to burst it down.

Avoid Elemental Reflect, No Regen and Immune to Status Ailments maps. On Blood Magic you'll have to disable your curses and auras.

Videos

Unfortunately no videos for the new spec yet! Not really interested in playing this build atm, if someone runs this and wants their video linked here let me know.

Thanks for checking out my guide! Please leave questions or concerns in comments.

twitch.tv/enki91
Last edited by Enki91 on Dec 29, 2015, 10:52:44 PM
Last bumped on May 13, 2016, 6:53:14 AM
Im watching your stream right now, something about the build doesnt feel right. The AOE range is rather small, even with your full quality gems.

I also feel your build is kinda limited to the sewer maps, which you are playing all the time, because the mobs arent cluttered all over the place like in other maps.

I give you props for the efforts for making this guide but it certainly didnt make me want to play it :(
I have been planning on doing a build like this for some time.

The combo cold snap - resolute technique - romira's banquet is nothing new, people have tried this before and I even saw some people using it; it does permafreeze everything but he couldn't clear maps alone. He always needed backup. So how does the dps scale?

Anyway posting a video on youtube with gameplay would be cool as well. Since you are just standing still in your stream atm.

I think I would also use a Herald Of Thunder with curse on hit, perhaps even take double curses and have frostbite and a power charge generating curse (assasin's mark). (although it woudln't really be needed)

Anyway just my 2 cents and thx for the ideas!
@aitalar: It's Waste Pool maps, not Sewer :o

The AoE is kinda limited, yes, but my cast speed and freeze duration is high enough to keep the screen frozen even in cluttered maps.

@sklipnoty: Yep, never claimed i invented this combo, infact i think Romira's was created by a supporter for Cold Snap? Not sure.

My damage is good enough to conveniently clear maps solo, of course it's not top tier damage like with mirrored gear crit builds but yeah, it's a more defensive solo build i'm testing for the next HC-league.

Herald of Thunder won't work, as i have no way to shock.

Will record a Gorge map after hitting 84, already have recorded a few bossfights which are ready to upload.
twitch.tv/enki91
Added some videos.
twitch.tv/enki91
Seems like an awesome pvp build
nice build. gave it a go on a more hc oriented variant with more life options / acess to scion wheel/ access to sovereignity. (could drop fingers of frost earlier. also the shadow cast speed nodes are pretty optional
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA34ptGZf0CPRSU8BUl5U9X2pDvOpMswQHYG0Wb-vkg9udgBo4JKpfKlXGgzinhDbpOlgUTe98kFXjaqyYBLOiAMAaEQ_wH1nzTC2sqhSwF1RyqYIenwGOPHzZiELbC9HkVkrBxY2CnqHsGFPUIoGP-vDVSVGVLgceEZYOSF3yQsPfhAL-jDZVS2HiJpUWv72CVyv-s-kC99eboY9GHRT60jeBUrLk6-NWJ-38S2wWhxkCcWaexPY8LUz_r2zFisautz7-Cti9NZK18m6qSshBh_noc7PwaxXn
IGN:
Omegatherion
can you pls explain what makes you available to spam cold snap and ignore it's cooldown. i cant seem to find it in the build.
affordable price.

20 exalts affordable?
GG GGG
@woolly_wizard: Probably! Haven't even thought about that. Guess only if the enemy has a Dream Frags or Alpha's it'll be pretty useless.

@Reldon: Looking good!

@EmSSoH: Romira's Banquet + Resolute Technique do the magic. Cold Snap's cooldown can be bypassed by expending a Power Charge. Romira's gives us Power Charges for every non-crit hit, and with RT we make sure to never crit to continuosly spam Cold Snap.

@Iboga: I think i made it more than clear that neither a 6L, a 5L chest nor Voll's Devotion are needed. So dunno where you see 20ex as bare minimum to run this build ;)
twitch.tv/enki91

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info