Just how big is the pool anyway?

just trying to figure this one out here, supposedly forum posters are 10 times more likely to get an invite, but just how many non-posters are in the pool?

staring at the random invite thingie, checking the ones that do get invites, i just dont see how this works out unless theres atleast 200 times as many people that sign up, give up after 8 minutes and never return compared to posters.

lack of access to databases prevents me from proving this and i cant watch it all day long (wouldnt be too hard to put together a logging script i guess...) but what i have seen seems to be this way.

just wanted to know if theres any way we can get a count of accounts with zero posts vs. accounts with atleast one.
waiting for OP to deliver.
I have to agree. Most of the accounts that win the key at random are seemingly inactive as in not having logged in for a long time, and many of them only having logged in at the date of the account's creation.

But I disagree that having posted on the forums should be mandatory for increasing the chances a lot more than just being active and visiting the site every now and then (having logged in of course). I myself try to refrain from posting unless I really have anything to say, and as you can see, this is my first post on this site. People are already "spamming" a lot of useless topics and posts more than enough imo.

Would be great if they'd modify their random beta key giveaway so that it's more likely for active accounts (those having logged in recently). That'd just make more sense than having beta keys been given to accounts which are unlikely to play the game anyways.

As for taking forum posts into account I think they should in that case implement some kind of karma system, so people can rate other players' posts, and the posts without karma or with negative karma would not be taken into account when the system is comparing users and picking a seemingly random user from among them to receive a beta key.

But then, such a system would also take time to implement. I guess I prefer they keep their focus on improving the game itself than fixing this beta key thing - there's still a lot of work to be done until the game is to be released.

Besides, maybe that's the point of the system - that not all keys given away would actually be used as to keep the server from getting too much stress from active players.

Just my few thoughts about the beta key giveaway system ;)

~doqunbop
Well put. Agree with you 100%

Most beta-accounts are active. I have an issue with the wording. Most by definition is majority. You could take that as 70%. So 7 out of 10...that isn't bad. 70 out of 100....still good I guess. 700 out of 1000. 300 unaccounted for...not good. 7000 out of 10000....3000 listed as waste.
Most.....Most......Most people want to get in and play.
Some want to test it and help.
English....the most screwed up language with countless interpretations.
MOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Modulate -Skullfuck , tune to play POE
Last edited by darktalon on Oct 21, 2011, 2:45:09 PM
"
doqunbop wrote:
I have to agree. Most of the accounts that win the key at random are seemingly inactive as in not having logged in for a long time, and many of them only having logged in at the date of the account's creation.

But I disagree that having posted on the forums should be mandatory for increasing the chances a lot more than just being active and visiting the site every now and then (having logged in of course). I myself try to refrain from posting unless I really have anything to say, and as you can see, this is my first post on this site. People are already "spamming" a lot of useless topics and posts more than enough imo.

Would be great if they'd modify their random beta key giveaway so that it's more likely for active accounts (those having logged in recently). That'd just make more sense than having beta keys been given to accounts which are unlikely to play the game anyways.

As for taking forum posts into account I think they should in that case implement some kind of karma system, so people can rate other players' posts, and the posts without karma or with negative karma would not be taken into account when the system is comparing users and picking a seemingly random user from among them to receive a beta key.

But then, such a system would also take time to implement. I guess I prefer they keep their focus on improving the game itself than fixing this beta key thing - there's still a lot of work to be done until the game is to be released.

Besides, maybe that's the point of the system - that not all keys given away would actually be used as to keep the server from getting too much stress from active players.

Just my few thoughts about the beta key giveaway system ;)

~doqunbop

Absolutely agree
They already said when the new patch hits, they are changing how beta invites go out (More people). I don't know if this means speeding up the timer, sending actual invites, I have no idea.

And as for 10 % better chance to get in, that's still a 90% chance you won't get picked. You could go a year and not get picked. It sucks but that's how it is.
I am not a female, but I really wish I was. <3
~148,260 accounts
Estimate around 133,000 accounts without beta access.
Info here

GGG won't give us actual numbers on how many accounts are forum posters, but they've said that these accounts are far outnumbered by the non-posting accounts. It's logical that most of the accounts selected will be non-posters. Don't take that as a bad thing, because they also say most of the beta accounts are being used. Comparatively, very few invites are being "wasted."
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Oct 21, 2011, 1:08:35 PM
"
They already said when the new patch hits, they are changing how beta invites go out (More people). I don't know if this means speeding up the timer, sending actual invites, I have no idea.

And as for 10 % better chance to get in, that's still a 90% chance you won't get picked. You could go a year and not get picked. It sucks but that's how it is.

I think it's 10x, not 10%.
Yep . If the pool was only 100 and you had 10 tickets you have good odds. With a pool of say 150,000 - your 10 tickets amounts to rectal sputem. Mostly we post on forums to chat and pass the time.
Modulate -Skullfuck , tune to play POE
"

This is where people are making the mistake.

GGG-"Forum users are now TEN TIMES more likely to get into Beta"

10x does not equal 10%.

10x1 = 10

10/150,000 = .000066 or .0066%

.0066% = Your chance of getting picked by the timer every 25 minutes.

These numbers are not exact but should be close enough for you to get the picture.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."

-Christopher Hitchens

me me meeme me mee

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info