Portal Sounds

I love this game guys, thank you so much for all of your hard work on it.

Unfortunately I find the portal sounds in the game to be to loud, especially in hideouts, and even more so when I have many portals open from the map device. When in town you can "get away" from the sound, but not so in the hideouts.
All of the portal sounds (default and any of the mtx ones ive tried) have this nerve wracking "tear in space" kind of sound, which I think is appropriate but the volume is SO high for them. The sound from the portals more or less overwhelms all of the other sounds from the game. Its loud enough, and painful enough to my ears, that I now mute my speakers whenever I am in my hideout :(.
Would it be possible to lower the sound of them, and possibly not compound the sound when there are multiple portals of the same type? Or maybe make the distance that the sound can be heard from MUCH less so you only hear it when you are right next to it?

Again, thank you for this great game and GGG's constant improvement of it.
I bought the black hole portal because it looks awesome, but I turned it off because the passive sound it has is loud and obnoxious. When I'm mapping and chilling in my hideout I don't wanna have to hear "WHOOOOSHSOSHOOOSHOSHOSHSOOO" all the time.
hey guys, so the whole using MTX portals in your map device was originally added without me knowing about it.

I have a fix committed now though I'm not sure when it will make it to live.
The audio guy.
awesome news, thanks!
That is great news. Thank you very much Andrew!
While dual boxing I discovered that the Steam Portal is the single least pleasing sound in the universe.

And I'm speaking about just hearing it in towns.

Could portals run their sound effects for 3 cycles or so, and then switch to a significantly lower volume? This type of a thing might fix all the problems. You want a cool serious effect when opening one, but not forever while standing in the same room as one.
Last edited by DragonsProphecy on Oct 24, 2014, 3:41:19 PM
I really hate the default portal sound. If I'm forced to stand next to one for an extended period a lot of times I'll just take my headphones off. It's loud and piercing, moreso than anything else in the game, and it's a continuous, droning sound as well. Honestly the only place I find it bothersome is in town, and in my hideout when my map device has active portals.

Could it be possible to specifically dampen the volume of portals in town and hideout instances? Or, to make the dropoff range much shorter, so that it doesn't dominate the entire
space? Another option would be to add a console command, /close_portals. Or maybe an audio setting, "play portal sfx" to turn it on and off entirely clientside.
Can we get an option to maybe just disable portal sounds? None of them sound good and when in your hideout they destroy your ears.
IGN = pibDeath

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info