Marylene's fallacy. 60% less crit chance?

Say does it subtract or divide your crit chance?
As always, 'Less' is a multiplier.
more/less = multiplicative

crit chance with marylenes = crit chance * (1 - 0,6)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
More and less are multiplicative multipliers.

If your crit chance is 50%, you will have

.5 (crit chance without marlene's) * .6 (marlene's modifier) = .3 (new crit chance)

So you'll have a 30% crit chance.

This is the main modifier that makes it horrible. There are only a select few skills that can even use the amulet in the first place, and in all reality, you're better off just going with a crit + crit multiplier amulet in it's place.

The only situations I can see it possibly being usable, is with a fast hitting build that deals damage over time, so the damage over time is multiplied. Fast hitting, to try to get it to proc at least once, while all your other non-crits are worthless and not needed because you are simply trying to apply a big DOT with your attacks, not deal any damage.
"
PsionicKitten wrote:
More and less are multiplicative multipliers.

If your crit chance is 50%, you will have

.5 (crit chance without marlene's) * .6 (marlene's modifier) = .3 (new crit chance)

So you'll have a 30% crit chance.

impressive.. thus with 100% less modifier my crit stays the same then :/

and yes, this item is usable only with handfull of builds, puncture for example
I'm using goddess scorned and herald of ash the big thing i want is the culling strike since it acts with overkill damage nicely. I thought it would just take 6% crit chance off but if its really going to drop it that hard im not sure. Might just wanna take my chances vaal orbing the goddess bound.
"
Zigma999 wrote:
I'm using goddess scorned and herald of ash the big thing i want is the culling strike since it acts with overkill damage nicely. I thought it would just take 6% crit chance off but if its really going to drop it that hard im not sure. Might just wanna take my chances vaal orbing the goddess bound.

culling an enemy results in exactly zero overkill damage
"
Ludvator wrote:
"
Zigma999 wrote:

Are you sure about that? I saw that single projectile wand build getting extreme burn damage from the herald.
"
Ludvator wrote:
"
Zigma999 wrote:

Are you sure about that? I saw that single projectile wand build getting extreme burn damage from the herald.
having culling does not prevent you from dealing overkill damage, but it does not help either

this is how culling works: your hit deals damage, then health of the mob is checked. if it is less than 10%, enemy is killed = you deal exactly the same damage that is required to kill the monster = no overkill damage
Last edited by Ludvator on Sep 24, 2014, 11:14:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info