[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

The lazy pally is my second character I raised up to Merciless, and while we always need better gear for the harder maps, I have to say it's probably less gear-dependent than my physical crit ranger. With my ho-hum equipment, I managed to tank all the bosses so far till midway of Act II. I could face-tank the weaver too, which is an impressive feat by my standards.

Part of the reason is that my main attack, heavy strike is (five) linked to multistrike, melee splash, life on hit and blood magic, so I happily wade into mobs; more bodies to whack means more life to gain. For my bosses and hard uniques, I switch the melee splash to either a life on leech or melee physical damage. Because I use blood magic, I carry four life flasks and one granite. Basically I simply left-click an enemy and latch on it like a pitbull, downing health potions to tank through. If I can't maintain the fight, I back off and let a high-end rejuvenation totem juice me up. Currently, I'm on the lookout for a better 5-linked chest armor and weapon. (If anyone knows of a bargain, do give me a heads up!)

I believe the passives do a lot of heavy lifting for the build, the block % being a crucial part. Skill-tree wise, I've been following Sovyn's guide faithfully (just skipping two life nodes -- for the moment, at least). Only variant is my skill gem set-up. Auras I'm using tempest shield and wrath for the extra block and added lightning damage. I'm leveling up anger and determination in other weapon slot, for the harder maps.

Gear is easier to progress than my ranger's as well. It's simply a shield with better block and a single-handed weapon with bigger damage. Less of a balancing act I had to do with my ranger's gear. (I'm poor, only one exalt to my name!)

Sovyn, do you think it's wise if I pursued the sovereignty aura nodes? I was thinking of running tempest shield, determination and anger all at once. TS for the extra block (my shield only blocks 24% but has plenty of resists), determination to make up for my gear's poor armor, and anger for extra bite.
Last edited by Quixote77 on Nov 14, 2013, 3:51:51 AM
"
rrrrr5r wrote:
This build is not friendly to new players. You need to buy too many stuffs and these purchases are not optional.

My templar is 49 now and with a small group of caster mobs, I will be chopped down with in seconds. All element res 75% has not use in this case.

The worst is, despite the same armor and res with my other classes, they can survive the mobs because their DPS is a lot better, hit and run can take a few mobs each time and eventually clear the group but single handed Templar can't do the same and with more hits, it usually end up running from Portal/WP.

So far it's only mandatory on the amulet. I'm expecting the mandatory on the CwDT set.

Sorry bub. I have to disagree with you. I found this guide to be very noobie friendly as I was the noob. The expensive stuff is a nice to have, not a need to have. And honestly, it's more for players above level 65. Until Act 3 merciless (self found), I never really ran into any issues surviving (even caster mobs).
Hey Sovyn, thank you again for this build, I'm leve 87 now and this is my gear/stats:

My passive tree:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAecCcQSxBLMFLRQgGNsZLhoyGjgaVRrbG60dFCFgI00n7SjFNug62D3iQDZAoERyR35I7kp9TDVMYE3YT31QR1FgU99Vxlb6Vw1Y21nzW69gS2EhZKNlTWaeZ6BuaXB9cql0QXTtdPF313rvfNl_K4BWgW-ExITZhO-Hdox2j0aQVZVmmSubg548nrmezaC0ogCnMKeEqZWrxayqrK-0-bfTud29gb6nwA_AGsOGz2XQ0NIh0k3Uj9aK18vZYd0N55HsOO4O7w7wH_Iv8773vvrS-6r8xQ==

3750hp
6428(41%) armour, 9700(52%) with determination
3682(30%) evasion, 7250(43%) with grace
16450 dps with hatred and determination, switch hatred to grace only on hard boss/maps with 12127 dps

I still need a better weapon and a 6l chest and my dps will be about 30k. Sovyn what you think I need to improve on my char? And about Acrobatics? Crystal skin+avoid shock? You think my hp is low?
Last edited by tasll on Nov 14, 2013, 11:37:20 AM
"
Quixote77 wrote:

Sovyn, do you think it's wise if I pursued the sovereignty aura nodes? I was thinking of running tempest shield, determination and anger all at once. TS for the extra block (my shield only blocks 24% but has plenty of resists), determination to make up for my gear's poor armor, and anger for extra bite.

If you use blood magic for your attack, yes, you can. :) You will need to connect all three auras to at least level 11 reduced mana gems along with getting sovereignty. Whether it's worth more to run tempest vs. spending those four passives on other things.... well, I'd do something else, but it's up to you. :)
Thanks for the guide. I'm currently leveling one as an alt with a Duelist base. Will report back later. (:
xeroslash - One-Hand/Shield Lightning Strike Templar
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/75285
Nice looking build. With my current build faltering (my first try), I think I will give it a try. One question: I would like to try avatar of fire for a templar build. Is there any reason your build might not be adjusted a bit to work in avatar of fire and a couple of related nodes, such as lava lash?
"
tasll wrote:
Hey Sovyn, thank you again for this build, I'm leve 87 now and this is my gear/stats:
I still need a better weapon and a 6l chest and my dps will be about 30k. Sovyn what you think I need to improve on my char? And about Acrobatics? Crystal skin+avoid shock? You think my hp is low?

Hello tasll. :)

Your stats look good. Life is high enough. I'm not sure I'd use that helmet when facing high physical damage unique bosses. But if you have gotten that far without many mishaps, excellent!

Your weapon is 253 DPS, which can be improved significantly. 300ish DPS runs 1-2 ex, 360ish DPS runs 5-10 ex. So it depends on your budget.

I'd also look into replacing the Dusk Spiral ring with something similar but with 2% mana leech in addition. Then you could upgrade the Wurm's Molt to a rare rustic sash with high armour, life and whatever else you require. Or, Meginord's Girdle if it would suffice.

I'd try to upgrade the gloves to something with more armour and life, although it's not necessary. Would be an improvement though.

I would not get Acrobatics or Crystal Skin.

Your tree looks OK considering the low block on your shield. Not recommended, we pulled out of the mara area completely after 1.0.0 hit as there are now better nodes to be had for most people, but I see why you did what you did. You would be a bit further along in the guide builds (you would have Steel Skin and Berserking, for example) if you had a high armour chest, gloves, boots and belt and a high evasion + high block shield as suggested in the guide. Props for creativity though. :)
"
shyftyx wrote:
Thanks for the guide. I'm currently leveling one as an alt with a Duelist base. Will report back later. (:

You're welcome. Glad it helped in some way. :)
"
Averil62 wrote:
Nice looking build. With my current build faltering (my first try), I think I will give it a try. One question: I would like to try avatar of fire for a templar build. Is there any reason your build might not be adjusted a bit to work in avatar of fire and a couple of related nodes, such as lava lash?

Hello Averil62. :)

You can use a high block item such as Crest of Perandus at low level and switch to Bringer of Rain + a good high evasion, 38% rare buckler later to minimize the need for bock nodes, then re-allocate a couple of the plain 2% block nodes into the nodes you prefer. You can also get solid double or tri-res resistance gear and save a couple points on the resists nodes. Make sure to establish your survivability first before worrying about damage, aside from upgrading your weapon frequently.
Thanks for updating your build, logged on last night got half way through a map and was like wait... something is wrong here. Had to buy new gems but at least the build works again.

Here's my current setup, i switch the ammy sometimes depending on high density caster mobs.

Definitely need to upgrade my weapon and mana leech ring, i like the in your face tanking thanks for your contribution.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info