Master Crafting: Using an Orb of Scouring on a "Prefixes cannot be changed" item does what?

Hi everyone, I'm still leveling my masters so I don't have the ability to test this scenario myself and I was wondering it anyone has attempted this yet:

If you add either prefixes or suffixes cannot be changed mod to an item from the master benches then scour the item what happens? Do all the mods go away? Are the prefixes preserved and the master mod falls off? Just got some interesting crafting ideas in my head.

Last bumped on Apr 13, 2017, 8:18:02 AM
I'm guessing the item gets wiped. This craft mod is probably for perfect or near perfect prefixes to be safe when divining. Not sure though.
D1 - PvM D2 - PvM/PvP D3 - MvM (Money vs Monster)
Cannot be changed is different from cannot be removed
The reason this is coming up is because I have heard and seen evidence that when you use a chaos orb on an item that has the cannot be changed modded items the prefixes/suffixes stay and the new mods are rolled.

Last edited by Fear_Itself on Sep 14, 2014, 4:27:59 PM
That would be insane....

Craft/find weapon/gear with perfect or near perfect prefixes.

Chaos till you get tri res.

Dang.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
From what I understand (with the Chaos example) works like this.

You get the 3 prefixes you want to keep, and add the prefixes cannot be changed suffix. When you hit it with a Chaos the prefixes remain the same but the suffixes get re-rolled. This includes the suffix that saves the prefixes.

So if you'd like to try again you have to add the mod again, for two more eternals. So it will still be very expensive to do crafting to get your item just the way you want.

Anyway the fact that this is apparently the case, I was wondering what would happen if you used an orb of scouring instead of a chaos orb.

Last edited by Fear_Itself on Sep 14, 2014, 9:13:11 PM
Pretty sure master's mods don't get rolled off if you chaos an item.

I'd think you have to get rid of the suffix with the remove suffix craft, then either add another master mod or ex it.

So it'd be like this, if i'm correct about this:

(Example for CI chest)

Finds chest with great flat ES, %ES, and %ES hybrid mod, but has thorns and light radius for suffixes.

Add Prefixes cannot be changed mod.

Reroll with chaos till you get 2 good resists.

Remove crafted mod and add either another master mod or eternal and EX for last property.

Would be nice to have some clarification from GGG on this, actually.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
I am not sure it would work like that sadly because the "cannot be changed prefixes mod" is tagged as a suffix (from what I'm reading on the wiki) so when you use a chaos all the suffixes will be re-rolled including that one.

This is assuming master crafted mods are re-rolled, but I am assuming they would be since they occupy the standard suffix spots.

EDIT: I just did a test, I put a master crafted mod on an item (white), it made it into a magic item (blue), then I hit it with an Alt and it destroyed the master crafted mod and it got replaced with new "standard" mods. So they are treated as normal mods when crafting using orbs. Which reinforces my belief that the "cannot be changed" affix would be destroyed in the chaos process.

However, that leaves the question, how do the cannot be changed affixes factor into the general crafting process? Hmm.

Last edited by Fear_Itself on Sep 15, 2014, 12:18:38 AM
"
Fear_Itself wrote:

However, that leaves the question, how do the cannot be changed affixes factor into the general crafting process? Hmm.

It helps to maximize numbers via Divine orb rerolls (to make a perfect item). Would be useful for crafting perfect bows, chests, etc.
Dont use it unless you have hundreds of exalts worth of currency (or even more).
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Sep 15, 2014, 12:41:47 AM
pretty easy to test ..

craft suffix resistance on a rare item, chaos the item and see if the craft is still there...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info