New Melee Lightning Skill

I believe there is a need for a new weapon based lighting skill, more speciifcally, and int/dex based one. The standard is that str is fire, dex is cold, and int is lightning. Now currently all melee elemental converting skills are strength requirement, including lightning strike, which would be fine, but given that 2 out of he 3 int focused classes are somewhat out of the way from grabbing strength in a casual fashion, I feel there is a need for an additional melee lightning skill that is more int/dex required.

Witches are not classically a melee oriented class, which means that even though they aren't far from templar which has some strength naturally strewn about the tree, they don't tend to make as much use from it. Shadows on the other hand, the class which has access to arcing blows, has to reach for the notable +30s for str if they want to really be able to make use of lightning strike efficiently, wasting points in the meantime.

The proposed new skill could alleviate this by instead of being a weapon based attack, it could be an attack with a flat damage amount, much like how elemental hit has flat amounts for each of the elemental values. This lends itself not only to the convention that int is traditionally the lightning stat, but also that the dex classes are more often known for high attack speed. Since the skill has flat damage, it benefits greatly from high attack speed.

Now a counter point to this might be that the other convention is that all standard melee elemental skills are strength requirement, so it would break convention to add one that isn't. I would argue that only the first set of melee ele skills follow this convention in the original sense. Glacial hammer, infernal blow, and lightning strike were the original elemental weapon attacks that belong to strength as its classic melee gems.

Molten strike however, a newer elemental weapon skill could actually be thought of as part of the "new generation" of melee ele skills. Since fire damage is traditionally strength, molten strike requires strength because of its elemental typing. This proposed new lightning melee gem would be int required for the same reason, and then maybe down the line in the future, a melee cold skill could be added for dex, also falling into this convention.

I believe this is a reasonable suggestion and besides, who doesn't like more skills to go around anyway?
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I would not call 151 outlandish. Light strike goes with claw, swords and daggers. dex weapons. lastly a new focus on lightning dmg. is allready comming with the +30 added light on wand dmg from the new notable.

Design the skill and they will come. Or not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info