[1.3]Two Dragons build (crit arc: freeze everything+high dps, 1.3.0 buff! )

I've finally made a unique build that works! As far as I can tell it hasn't been done before (as of august 2014).

EDIT: I have since seen a few similar builds, but they got their theory-crafting wrong. This is still the best :P

New Video!
76 rare crematorium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR8VE18bTtw

1.3.0 changes:
Cons:
Spoiler
Dropped AA & Pur of Fire(sort of a con)

Pros:
Spoiler
Dropped Clarity (no longer in danger of going low mana with infernal mantle)
Picked up lots of +% ele dmg nodes (boost all our dmg types)
Picked up lots of health nodes.
35% chance to freeze on hit. yeah. That's NON crit. it's just...yeah.

Overall, 1.3 shaped this build into a whole 'nother beast. Took a bit of rethinking, but it was worth it.

Stats w/o assassin's mark or ele weakness

Arc:
Spoiler

Flame Totem:
Spoiler

IGN: CCSoEasy if you wanna talk!

"
1. Theory

2. Build
- Skill Tree
- Bandits
- Gear
- Gems

3. Summary
- DPS Calculations
- Pros
- Cons

4. Videos!

1. Theory

Spoiler
I'll have a tl,dr; at the end.

I wanted to make a crowd control (CC) build. Something supportive to the party as a whole, but not an aura jockey. There aren't a whole lot of ways to do that atm in PoE.

Dual totems are nice for solo CC but typically don't have great party play as things either die too fast for two totems to matter, or people are tanky enough that the survivability dual totems brings is rendered pointless. Also, bosses wreck totems.

Another problem with support builds is they typically are a tad lacking in both the not-made-of-glass and i-can-do-damage categories (at least for those who haven't prayed RNGesus into their hearts).

The Three Dragons unique provides us with a really nice way of sidestepping these problems. IF we can crit often enough and hard enough, Three Dragons will continue chucking out elemental confusion. So what to use?

Flame totem:
It casts really fast and deals a moderate amount of damage on its own. Amazingly, ALL of your spell modifiers AND crit modifiers apply to its cast speed and damage. So its damage can get quite high. With The Three Dragons, it will shock stack whatever it is attacking very quickly. Free 90% more damage for everybody, awesome.

Arc:
This is where I struggled the most to get the build working. What lightning skill has enough damage output and crit chance to consistently freeze mobs? None of em. There are many lightning skills with chance to shock and there are also some nice passives that will do that, but The Three Dragons only works on crits and REMOVES all natural status effects so "chance to shock" means nothing. So we are forced to stack all the crit. But, oh man, is it worth it. Have you ever seen the screen freeze? And then when it's cleared walk over another screen and somehow, that's also frozen? Yeah, that'll happen, and often.

Herald of Thunder:
This is a great addition as it increases the maximum health a monster can have while still freezing with arc.

Elemental Proliferation:
We should strive to be good people, and good people share.

Curses:
-Crit Weakness:
This is your bread, it's the curse you need. It makes crits hit more often and way harder.

tl, dr;
Flame Totem - shock stacks
Arc - perma freeze
Elemental Proliferation - spread the CC

2. Build

- Skill Tree

Spoiler
For lvling, just focus on spell damage and survivability. Don't go into crit until you have the gear for it. Anyway, here's where i am now and this should be what yours looks like round lvl 89

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMAAv4FQgceDkgQWBEPEZYUsBZAFm8WvxdUGjgdFCaVJy8o-io4LJw1kjeBOlhBh0GWQsNEq0bXSVFMLUyzUDBT1FVLVa5VxlcpXGtd8mHiY0NknWaecFJw1XGFdhF-r4IQgh6Cm4LHhEiFfYdliEKJ04w2jRmNgo5kj0aPpo_6kFWVLpuhnwGnCKlurJius7FCtfK2-rc-uJO5k8AawcXDCcNtzLfQ9dHk1XXYvdlf2wvbXt2M34Tfit-w4BLjVuNq5Ovr7uv17BjsOPDV8h33pvfX-ej60v4K

One of the great things about this build (and what I'm secretly most proud of) is how efficiently it moves through the skill tree. Very few travel nodes between important nodes.

- Bandits

Normal - Help Oak
Cruel - Kill All
Merciless - Help Alira

- Gear

Spoiler
There are 4 required pieces:
Spoiler

The daggers need spell damage, crit chance for spells, and crit mult. Again, what's most important here is that crit = life for this build.

The infernal mantle is awesome for us as it gives great crit, increased fire damage for the flame totem, and a LOT of mana in the form of ES that would otherwise be spent in the skill tree.

My current gear for reference is:
Spoiler

Everything else is not necessary.

- Gems

Spoiler
Chest: ARC + FASTER CASTING + SPELL ECHO + PCoC + ELE PROLIF + LIFE LEECH
TIP: Switch ELE PROLIF w/ LIGHT PEN for bosses or if you want to clear faster

Something else: FLAME TOTEM + FASTER PROJECTILES/FASTER CASTING + LMP + CRIT MULT

Something else: ASSASIN's MARK + FASTER CASTING + IAoE

Something else: CwDT + END CRY + IMM CALL

Something else: RED MANA + PUR OF LIGHT + HERALD OF THUNDER

3. Summary

The following Calcs are wrong (not by much) and I will fix them when I get home.
- DPS Calculations
Spoiler

Calculations made under the assumption that the mob has been cursed with crit weakness.

ARC (lvl 20):
average non crit: 1901

average crit: 1901 * 8.1015 = 15401

weighted average per hit: (1901 * .438) + (15401 *.562) = 9487

arc average dps: 9488 * 4.29 = 40703

FLAME TOTEM (lvl 20):
average non crit: 275.5

average crit: 275.5 * 8.1015 = 2232

weighted average per hit: (275.5 * .438) + (2232 * .562) = 1375

flame totem average dps: 1375 * 6.49 = 8924

Combined average: 49627

Shock stacks: 94291 DPS

I want to make it clear that these are not ideal numbers, these are very much what I see when playing. Ideal would be adding ele weakness to the calc ending somewhere around 140k dps. And this is all without a 6L! With 6L and lvl 21 Arc I'm confident this would scale to at least 180k

- Pros
-Cheap! This a very effective cheapish build. talking 5-10ex. More for 6L :P
-High damage (Tooltips lie for this build. They say 20k arc and 6k flame totem, but they aren't great at accounting for crit,shock stacks,ele weakness,crit weakness so it's waaaay above that)

-Freeze everything (ALL bosses except atziri)

-Shock stack everything

-Survivability through freeze (high pseudo max effective health. if you get hit, you're doing something wrong :P)

- Cons
-Low life (ish) 3.3k
-No real armour/eva means burst phys hurts

4. Videos:
Spoiler
Explanation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPExgzroLNg

1.3 Vids:
Solo 72 Map, EE+Ele Weakness+Fast Stuff+Curse Immune - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPntRHM4qjU

Pre 1.2 Vids:
6-Man 73 Map - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBFktRaByFA
solo rare 68 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id9VfkMMdFM

Please leave me comments/critiques! This is my first guide so I'd appreciate the help! Vids should be on their way once I figure out a good way to do that...

Thanks!
Last edited by perkar on Feb 22, 2015, 8:29:12 PM
a) drop faster casting in your arc setup and move it literally anywhere else because
b) +1 fire gems in infernal mantle. Flame totem level 21, and it gives you the option of adding added chaos for more raw flat damage.
c) it'd be funny to add discharge here somehow.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Last edited by Serleth on Aug 4, 2014, 1:26:49 AM
Im confused. Anyways. Trying to figure this idea out in a new shell. Infernal mantle without slotting your fire spell in there is weird. I would do the following:

Three Dragons and Infernal mantle are good options for crit with flames shockin and lightning freezing. But. Why not use a higher base crit spell? Which benefits from the +1. Im looking at discharge.

How to get charges?

Go dual wands, or single wand. Doesnt really matter. Use either frenzy or power siphon, first is recommended. Use Frenzy - Gmp - Chain - Pcoc to generate charges quick enough to discharge.

How to get shock stacks?

A fire totem. choices:

Firestorm
Flame surge
Fire ball
Flame totem

Or. Pyre with a cold totem.

Ice spear.
Arctic breath
Ice nova.

In these choices, Arctic breath hits the hardest apart from flame surge, but then we need ignite. We will choose Arctic breath.

We get as links:

Arctic breath - Cold pen - Spell totem - Prolif (no we dont need/want Lmp/Gmp. The AoE will help already, plus, we want single hard hits for prolif. As long as it crits it applies a general (longer lasting) shockstack to the pack. Its also better for bosses.

For Discharge:

Discharge - Elemental Prolif - Conc Effect - Inc AoE - Crit multi (We only get effects when we crit, so we want more dmg mainly when we crit, so crit multi)

Im not saying its a bad idea to do it as you do, but its kind of ineffective. Of course, using Arc instead of discharge is kind of faster, but in my experience, using frenzy is pretty fast. Discharge should be able to happen within 2 seconds.

For the tree. Picking up Fire/cold individual dmg is ineffective. Pick up spell dps. Ele dps. Crit chance and crit multi. Thats all. In either case.

Sidenote: Going for wands enables you to throw 30-40 ex for dual voidbattery. For more fun.

EDIT: try this tree: 100 point tree with life

More life, less ineffective dmg. Ditched inner force and influence, since your not an auramancer. Also. Try to drop PoF. You want to stay in high mana for as much as possible. You might even go as far as not using AA. Infernal mantle is a burden for Non-BM builds with high mana cost. Id run Clarity + Discipline myself. With reduced mana that should leave enough room. EA should support enough of your Res, combined with your totems. Also. Endgame dmg has been removed, because life goes first. Without surviving there is no dmg.
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
Last edited by leary93 on Aug 4, 2014, 1:42:17 AM
The idea here is not what has the highest crit chance, it's how many crits per second can you get. So faster casting is necessary.

Arc instead of flame totem in infernal mantle i can see as debatable. But Since Flame totem only needs a 4L, i decided to put arc there.

Discharge wouldn't work well as the cast speed would be horrible, it's not auto target, and it would have fairly unreliable damage given cheap gear. Arc is by far the best choice here. Just try it out and you'll see :P
Isn't the fire to chaos conversion on infernal mantel detrimental to shocking with flame totem?

Also have you considered the freeze/shock duration nodes near Static Blows and Breath of Rime? Back when I was looking at shock duration those increased duration nodes were almost like a more multiplier on your DPS with respect to how it's used for shocking/freezing.
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
"
MatrixFactor wrote:
Isn't the fire to chaos conversion on infernal mantel detrimental to shocking with flame totem?

Also have you considered the freeze/shock duration nodes near Static Blows and Breath of Rime? Back when I was looking at shock duration those increased duration nodes were almost like a more multiplier on your DPS with respect to how it's used for shocking/freezing.

For a support prolif build, the actual dmg of flame totem is less important, as long as your totem is continously hitting. Besides, that's where quality added lightning damage comes into play for flame totem: any shock chance you'd lose by slotting it in Infernal is mitigated by the 10% off ALD and Static Blows.

Same goes for arc, by the way. Echo more than makes up for dropping faster casting. I built an arc character before echo was released, and honestly adding FCR is overkill on the cast speed, for the purposes of just proliferating shock (or in this case, freeze) stacks.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Last edited by Serleth on Aug 4, 2014, 4:07:06 AM
"
perkar wrote:
The idea here is not what has the highest crit chance, it's how many crits per second can you get. So faster casting is necessary.

Arc instead of flame totem in infernal mantle i can see as debatable. But Since Flame totem only needs a 4L, i decided to put arc there.

Discharge wouldn't work well as the cast speed would be horrible, it's not auto target, and it would have fairly unreliable damage given cheap gear. Arc is by far the best choice here. Just try it out and you'll see :P

Cast speed isnt everything. For Arc it is. But why freeze with arc, if you could shock with it (trust me, shocking with arc is OP) and could actually use a totem to freeze instead. No need for Three dragons that way, meaning you can use geofri's crest for arc, and dont need to use Infernal mantle since you can get enough crit ez anyways, or could use cold snap.
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
"
Also have you considered the freeze/shock duration nodes near Static Blows and Breath of Rime?

With the cast speed of arc/flame totem, duration doesn't matter. If it can be shocked/frozen, it will be permanently, if not, you need to do more damage. Since shock/freeze chance is based on the percentage of the mobs max health you took in one hit.

EDIT:I am wrong, Matrix is right :P

"
Echo more than makes up for dropping faster casting.

So the reason I don't want to get rid of faster casting, and why spell echo would not be enough on it's own, is again, crits per second. Spell echo determines crit for both casts on the first roll. So for a build with a fairly low crit chance, chances to crit per second becomes realy important. Spell echo actually slightly decreases chance to crit per second, but sort of makes up for it in burst crits. Faster casting is perfect for it.

"
But why freeze with arc, if you could shock with it (trust me, shocking with arc is OP) and could actually use a totem to freeze instead.

If I weren't to use Three Dragons, of course Arc would be the goto for spreading shock stacks, but there isn't a good way of sreading (i mean cover the screen) with freeze. Also freezing bosses would become much harder.

One of the great benefits to using Arc to freeze is the distance it can travel. You can literally cover three screens in freeze if it jumps over there. It takes care of jumpers, problem casters, archers, exiles, anything else that might be dangerous that you don't know about off screen. Arc gives everyone in your party a lot of pseudo max effective health because of the same reasons it's good for stacking shock.

If you watch the second video I posted, you'll see multiple instances where a room is frozen before I go into it, and crucially, before I'm done clearing the current room! You can imagine how good it is on an open map :)
Last edited by perkar on Feb 17, 2015, 11:36:19 AM
Well shock and freeze duration are based on what percentage of a targets life you hit for. The formula is 276ms * Dmg / (Life/100) * (1+Dur). If you have 5k damage per crit hit and no duration the most HP that you can shock is a target with Dmg*276ms/300ms/0.01=460k HP. If you have 4.5k damage per crit hit but 25% increased shock duration the highest HP is 500k HP. (I was doing the equations in my head, may be mistakes, but I believe this is the idea).
All my builds /view-thread/1430399

T14 'real' clearspeed challenge /1642265
Sorry, I was assuming freeze duration was applied after chance to freeze was calculated, but it turns out you're right. Freeze duration would lower the percent of dmg needed in one hit to freeze. I'll take a look at them nodes now... :P

EDIT: Any suggestions on what nodes to give up to travel to the freeze duration nodes? I'm having a hard time finding nodes It would be ok to substitute :/ Maybe the inner force nodes?

EDIT 2: I'll try this out next:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMBAuMFWwdjB6UOSA_EEZYZhRpsHwIkPCSqJpUnqSlPLJwtHy9vNsU26Tt8QZZEq0bXSRtJUUmyTLNOulAwVUtVrlXGVytabV3GXfJfKmBtY0NmT20ZcFJwu3DVc1N2EXkDfll-r3_GgUmCEIIegpuFfYdliEKLjIw2jmSPRo-mm6GcLZ1jnaOdrqKjpLGnCKdcrJivt7I4tQS2-rjKwFHAVMHzz2XQ0Ngk2RPa3dsL217d89-w4XPjauOE5CLk6-WO6-TtIPId8933pvfX_Ks=
Hopefully the trade-off is worth it :)
Last edited by perkar on Aug 4, 2014, 12:53:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info