Mjölner HC Scion Discharge + Arc

Apex of Sacrifice bosses video: http://youtu.be/YYFiVOjZGHw

Tree:

Some notes for myself(and why not to others too):

Start trough spell dmg gives more dps than the attack speed route.

Can run RF too if take regen route, but must drop grace and evasion wheel, armor drops from 10k to 4k. To get comfortable life regen with RF, need alphas howl(less life) or empower lvl 3 for purity of fire and vitality. No room for grace if RF.

Static blows not really needed, 10% change to shock when using flask(from atziri belt) + arc shock is good.

Not sure about Elementalist node yet, might take the templar AOE instead.

Gear:
Spoiler

vs atziri put these on shield instead:

Notes:

In normal maps I take off life gain on hit and use lightning strike + molten strike.

I have lots of intelligence from gear.

Rare ring is shit. Need better.

Ele weakness maps I need to switch ring and run purity of elements.

Sometimes I switch amulet and romira ring when group dont like the fps drops. Then I use arc + arc and have 6.7k life.

Aegis swap is possible and sometimes I use it with arc+arc. Need to switch amulet, boots and rings.

No need to swap gear on Atziri run, other than flasks for each boss and curse for Atziri.

Dont need cwdt - enduring cry because of amulet. I dont really know why I even have that.

Level 21 arc and discharge would be nice.

Need to get better q% immortal call. Have been lazy.

stats in normal gear:
Life: 5972
Armor: 10k
Spell block: 75%
Fire res: 89
Cold res: 83
Light res: 89

Can tank maze vaal smash, apex vaal smash and palace dominus touch of dog without problems.

Will update later and post Atziri run when I get my discharge to lvl 20.
Last edited by Kullevi on Aug 1, 2014, 1:47:52 PM
Solid gear and spec, Kullevi!

From a Hardcore player's perspective, and one who I assume has played around with Mjölner both on the four months and on regular Hardcore where the Romira's and Voll's combo is available, what are your thoughts and how do you feel about Mjölner in general?
My HC Race & PVP Rewards collection at /3140751. Please help me locate the few missing ones!
Thanks for the feedback!

What I think about mjölner, hmm.. ill do some background story first.

I got my mjölner when Invasion ended. So I did NOT own it back in temp leagues but I did map with guy who had mjölner and arc+arc setup.

First time we mapped together, I was impressed at the clear speed. I felt like I had to get this thing. To me it looked very OP at clearing maps. Press of a button and only the rare guy with resists was left.

So, after my main char died to crash (lvl 97 soultaker, bor, aegis cycloner with 15-19k DPS depending on gem setup), I traded for mjölner. I felt like it was very overpriced and basically to have enough currency for it I had to sell lot of things.

First I was using arc+arc+light penetration. It felt good, clear speed was amazing but single target was lacking. With (bor+st+aegis)cyclone, my single target was pretty good but group clearing just awful compared to mjölner.

Then I got some legacy items, volls amulet and saffels frame and started using discharge. Single target also got better.

Mjölner price is very high now. Its pretty strong when paired with some legacy stuff. Is it OP? Well, when thinking about price I dont really think so.

I mean, even with arc+arc it clears maps very fast. But can you make similar or close clear speed with 100-150 ex? I think so.

I do think that they should somehow tweak how mjölner works. The fps drops can get really nasty sometimes. IMO they should add cooldown like CoC has.

It would nerf the mjölner yes and the price would go down. BUT, if GGG feels like the thing doesnt need nerf, they still need to make performance better somehow. Maybe add cooldown and put some increased/more spell/lightning dmg to compensate.

tldr;

For the cost, I think mjölner is NOT op.
Here is a video how it looks: http://youtu.be/YYFiVOjZGHw

As you can see, single target is little lacking without rf and/or low life.
why not get more power/endur charges?
Thats a good question. There is some discussion about that in original Rainbownuke guide.

Im actually testing it now. First I just took 1 extra endurance charge, never got more than 3 charges(no surprise really).

Now I took extra power charge and it seems to sometimes give me 4 charges. It fluctuates a lot between 1 and 4, when before it was almost always usually 2 or 3.

I cant say if its better, I guess I need to time it vs some bosses or something, unless someone here can calculate if its any boost? I definetly see more "power charges:1" now, so it seems that average charges might be same?
Thanks for the response I'm doing the same build as you but as witch. Extra charges are farther away from me so its good to know I'm not missing out on a big dps increase with only 3 max charges. I switched from double arc lightning pen to arc discharger with romiras and devotion. Only level 16 discharge atm and I already think the damage is better
Yeah, I tested maximum of 4 power and endu charges.. cant see much difference. Bad thing was that often I had only 1 endu charge when IC was going off, not good.

Witch definetly works and has access to some VERY nice spell dmg nodes. Actually, Witch might be better than Scion(not sure, havent done high lvl tree for Witch).

Only "bad" thing I see with Witch, is that if you ever want to run life-based with RF too, there are some wasted nodes.

Im still trying to think how to add RF to my build without dropping too much defences.. I could use ROTP shield but then I lose spell block, maximum cold and light res.

I changed my tree a little, dropped Elementalist near templar and took templar AOE(Amplify) instead. Clears better but seems like reflect maps hurt a little more now.
Id like to run rf too but I agree that you just sacrifice to much. I was running rathpith and lazhwar when I used dual arc so just by switching to arc+discharge I lost all my regular block. The constant immortal calls do help make up for it but it is slightly less tanky already. RF just seems like too much for hc imo. Im just level 85 so I think that I will be going for amply next also, quality and non-quality discharge is already a huge difference.

If you find a good way to run rf let me know :P
Last edited by Malabargold on Aug 2, 2014, 5:05:29 PM
Aaaand it finally happened. RIPped to extra dmg corrupting blood bear in extra damage map. I knew it was gonna happen someday.

RIP

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info