War is savage no matter how modern...

...all I have to say.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Pew Pew

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Don't worry, just sit back and let the machines take over war, and when they become self aware and start killing us off, we can at least rejoyce in the fact that James Cameron was right.
"
Mephasm wrote:
Don't worry, just sit back and let the machines take over war, and when they become self aware and start killing us off, we can at least rejoyce in the fact that James Cameron was right.

Out of curiosity? Why would they kill us if they got sentient? I keep hearing that here and there and I always wonder what's the logic behind it.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
"
"
Mephasm wrote:

Out of curiosity? Why would they kill us if they got sentient? I keep hearing that here and there and I always wonder what's the logic behind it.

Sentient doesnt mean human-level intellect or emotions (it might also mean more advanced though too), so they will behave as humans did 5000years ago. But even if they get human-level intellect, provided they are not self-sustaining (using some kind of non-renewable kind of energy) they will first want to control all oil/coal/etc sources. Mankind will go back 1000years and with no such resources it will be an easy target.

No need to further explain, it all depends on they way they got sentient, what level of intelligence they acquired and what they find as a true purpose of "being". They might as well as soon as become sentient and aware of the cosmos, self-destruct.

Still those hypothesies are humanly-based and thought.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
In "Thomas Was Alone" I learned that the first act of sentient AI will be one of self-sacrifice.

In "Ghost in the Shell" I learned that sentient AI rather philosophize in order to understand human.

In practical life we know that there are better ways to a Win-Win situation than war.

So yeah, I don't believe that the first reaction of sentient AI with all the information at their hand will be to destroy us immediately. Maybe they'll troll us with their internet expertise, thou.
Yeah but if they would be as sentient as you say then I doubt they would be able to self replicate, invent and create own upgrades etc. I'd assume that for some time humans should be seen as wise elders - frail, but knowledgable, guidance for protection would be the deal. Mushy brains with lower computing powers would be a priceless source of creativity and invention, invention fueled by curiosity how the universe works with many, many years of previous research. Even the "evil" sentient machines would quickly learn that they can't enforce creativity or at least not as efficient as free willed one.

IDK, I for one would welcome sentient machines.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
"
Nightmare90 wrote:

In practical life we know that there are better ways to a Win-Win situation than war.

So yeah, I don't believe that the first reaction of sentient AI with all the information at their hand will be to destroy us immediately. Maybe they'll troll us with their internet expertise, thou.

There are different methods of intelligence. The most promising use associative lists or neural networks. Both of which are prone to bias and can learn negative behavior. So much like any intelligent being, their experiences will shape them. And there's no shortage of atrocious behavior in our society.

So despite it being a TV trope, evil AI is a very real possibility. Hopefully any AI with real power will be smart enough to deduce that cooperation or escape are better options than war.

Perhaps designers of AI will test it in some sort of simulated reality to see if it can be trusted. Perhaps our reality is just this sort of test... crazy eh?
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Jul 31, 2014, 7:15:53 AM
Some deep shit up in dis bitch
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"Evil" AI?
Why does something that rises against us, have to be "evil"?
It might be simple common sense.

Example: we create robots to clean up mess.
We CAUSE mess.
Logically: to eliminate the mess makers...
No evil there.

And this is a very simplistic form of thinking.
In the end, "evil" is prone to interpretation.
What is evil to you, doesn't per se have to be evil (or equally evil) to me.
And vica versa.

Another thing: what EXACTLY is intelligence?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info