Feedback/Suggestions on new UI

Hey guys.

So mixed feeling on the new UI. Gonna talk about a few aspects of it.

1. The Mana Women

I really liked the mana women, I think from the feedback in the thread so do a lot of people. I just think they were really well done, one of the strongest parts of the current UI. Theres lots of male statues showing off their bits and bobs, I don't feel like there was any 'sexist' element in the mana women, they were just great art and semi iconic now in my mind.

2. The Flasks

"
bitV wrote:

I don't like the flask slots from this screenshot, the added detail actually contrasts the flasks too heavily, It will be interesting to see what it looks like with various flasks but for now I'd say other than the boobies and the flask slots this UI is an improvement :)

quoting bitV from the news topic.

I agree completely with what he says, I like the way the flasks are worked into the UI but I think it has contrast issues. The old slots just took less attention away from the flasks, they stuck out more, and I feel thats what you want, everything to fall away from the eye except the important parts that should stick out.

3. The Buttons

A lot of feedback in that thread against the buttons. Personally what I think is wrong with them is that they stick out, yet dont stick out, if that makes sense. Its the same problem I have with the character and inventory headers in the rest of the ui. The button itself jumps out, and the pic on the button that tells you what it is doesnt. The 'menu' text you added sticks out in a good way, if you make a big gold background with 'menu' in black text, the background would stick out and not the text that matters.

4. The Colour

"
New UI's much sleeker and more streamlined, which I like. I think I prefer the old UI's colour, since it felt "warmer" (mahogany vs. pewter, I choose mahogany).

This is a quote from the thread. I appreciate this persons take on it, but I actually disagree. I really like the new colour, too often the screen just turns into a mass of brown sludge.

Theres been a lot of feedback Ive seen in these forums and in general chat about the games graphics looking bad, and often a theme that comes up is "the game looks brown, brown is horrible". Now, I don't agree the graphics are bad, the game does look brown, that in itself isnt a bad thing in my opinion, but... The UI being so brown does somewhat brand the game brown, it makes it hard to have different coloured areas and have them not brownified.

Also, the big thing for me, it can take away some depth from it. Warm colours feel like they move towards you, they rise from the screen/page/canvas/whatever. Cold colours move away from you. For example imagine an orange background with a blue car in the middle, the background would outcrowd the car. It would feel like the background is jumping out at you and the blue thing in the middle would feel like a hole. Where as an orange car against a blue back, the car is going to stick out and the blue background fall away. When a lot of your UI is a browney orangey sort of hue it makes it hard to have contrast there and direct the eye to important things.

so I did another photoshop here where I changed the things I personally didnt like about the new UI, pasted it over a screenshot of the game with my inv/char panel open and tried to balance it in.

I really like the green/blue/brown aged copper type background behind the item slots. I tried to take the greeny blue colour and tint the new UI with it, also shift some of the brown of the other UI aspects to fit with it. I changed the big gold ornate things at the top, the detail is great on them, but they stick out so much and what doesnt stick out at all is the text and the little round symbol, which are the important bits. It just crowds things I feel.

I understand you dont want this to be a cartoon game like Diablo 3, you want grit, dirt, you dont want this primary colour artificial kiddy wow thing. but look at your website right now, its so beautiful with that bluey green mass across most of it, making the gold/red/brown/orange type aspects stick out, it gives them contrast and provides a depth. Diablo may be a silly looking game in parts, and an ugly looking game too at times, but the UIs more basic, neutral stance (despite being very ornate) I believe is a big factor in making it look as polished as it does, allowing the eye to concentrate on the important bits of the screen and making people who maybe cant quantify how the feel about what theyre seeing say "this game has good graphics".

thats my thoughts on it anyway, I actually think the new UI looks super when you paste it into the game like this, but those mana women, please guys, the mana women. Can we keep them? Please? :D

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2ymj2a8.jpg

Last edited by Snorkle_uk on Jul 29, 2014, 5:07:50 AM
I'd like to agree very strongly with what Snorkle_uk said about point #1. The new UI health/mana globes is disgusting - no thanks. I don't care if the old version hides a small part of the globes. It's fine *exactly* how it is.

That said, I pretty much don't like the new UI at all. Literally every single change made is a regression from my PoV, and I'd like an option to keep the old UI exactly as it is. Yes, even the green $ button, I honestly don't care about that - it's part of what PoE is. I like the old menu buttons, this new merger of button is less confusing for new players, but I very much like having the old buttons instantly accessible, even if I do use the shortcut keys more.

And we're moving towards a "Roman" look since when? I don't care about moving towards a "Roman" look. I think PoE needs to keep its looks unique, no need to bend itself towards a specific culture.
Player since closed beta 2012. Full system specs: https://pastebin.com/c4rvbvSR
'Tongueslurp the Unspeakable' - skeleton archer in Fellshrine Merciless
"
cruelstroke wrote:

Imgur Link: http://imgur.com/a/rKDha

I hope the shadow and reflection bug will be fixed, and the girl statues will not be removed. This is my first post, by the way. I want to say thank you for this great game, Path of Exile is by far the best action rpg game I have ever played -except Diablo 2 <3
This is how the shop button should've been done in my opinion:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/983931
"
PoExchange wrote:
"
feyith wrote:

the reflection of the girls will be there im fairly sure, its just a photoshop mockup they put together to show us they agreed with that bit of the feedback and to shut us up a bit because the threads were getting too negative and not really being contructive.

I really like the gold coins and the gears instead of the arrow and the shop buttons. I dont like the poe coin one that was going around, it looked good but its just not obvious that its a shop so it fails completely to advertise itself in the desired way. The gold coins however are cool, Id back that as an idea.

Tbh I dont mind the word shop, if it makes more money for the game we will have a better game as a result, I can deal with a shop button if it increases the games funding and pays for revamping the rest of the artwork that is still placeholders or half finished.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info