Lets fix that UI. -- Mana BR, Health BL, Buffs/Minions TL. Map TR... WHAT?!

I kept quiet about the UI for about a year, plenty of people have made suggestions, so I'm going to keep it simple. The UI is always a big complaint, one of the glaring problems with PoE.

Continue to KISS (Keep it simple), but please also MILE (Make it Logical/Efficient)

1. Mana is bottom right.
2. Health/ES is bottom left.
3. Buffs/Minons is top left.
4. Map is top right.

So we have 4 areas we need to constantly shift our eyes to when playing PoE. Wouldn't it be immensely more helpful if we could simply get those in either 1 area? Yes, it would be.

Especially for us HC players, it's so inefficient and illogical the way the UI is laid out, More deaths are from people not noticing quick enough than anything else.

I'd love to see us able to customize it, but at the very least give us an option to change where they are located.
I'm the Ps guy: Psomm, Pso, Psong, pso-on and pso-phorth.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I agree. It's indeed dumb that everything is spread as far appart as possible. Many games have crap UIs (most even) but at least in WoW for example you can customize it to your liking with addons.

It's as if game developers try to make the most user unfriendly UIs they can come up with, and they do a mighty fine job at it too.

Diablo 3 has a better UI, health and mana are closer together at the bottom and the buffs are also at the bottom. (but they don't show enough buffs, at least on my monk)
Last edited by Mikki79 on Feb 3, 2013, 6:49:26 PM
I do indeed support this notion.

I think the UI right now is poorly conceived in most regards. Anyone with any experience with UX design will know more about this than I, but I'm pretty sure it's "standard practice" to put the "central" UI elements on the right hand side of the screen, with supplementary elements on the left. Also, and as has been pointed out, eye movement should be kept to a minimum.

In my opinion, the health and mana orbs need to be brought closer together in the centre of the screen. The abilities should sit on the right, and the flasks/menu options on the left. Monster health bar should be brought down to sit in the gap between the left and right UI elements. Buffs should appear above the health orb.

Adding options to allow us to customise these elements would be nice. Alternatively, open up the UI to modification and allow the players to design the basic UI elements themselves.
MOAR PANTS, because every good game needs a pointless meme.
So it's time to resurrect this post. I keep reading 'don't wanna clutter the UI' from devs, and I couldn't agree more.

Is there some reason we still have all these core important elements spread into the far corners of the screen? Or does GGG and the player base really think it's best the way it's laid out?

Or maybe it's just not that important. Regardless, I feel it is so I'm reupping this still quite valid post.
Having the 4 different areas is fine for me. Get a smaller screen if you're having trouble seeing it all in one go.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
A UI patch would be welcome.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
This still majorly applies two years after posting -- even more now that they are making changes that make sense.

2 year necro bump!
Personally, I like the current layout. That being said, a customizable UI would only be a good thing for players.
IGN Stuns_McNutshot | Ichimans_McIchimans | Balls_McCritterson
I just want to chime in by saying that the UI is mostly ok for me, but what I would rather see are actual suggestions. I tend to dislike suggestions in the form of "this sucks, please change it" without a suggestion about what to change it to. Why not put up some mockups for UI modifications? I would like to see that.
IGN: Blaze_Ember
"
vmrob wrote:
I just want to chime in by saying that the UI is mostly ok for me, but what I would rather see are actual suggestions. I tend to dislike suggestions in the form of "this sucks, please change it" without a suggestion about what to change it to. Why not put up some mockups for UI modifications? I would like to see that.

I always put suggestions after feedback, but it's not my place to design the UI:

"
Wouldn't it be immensely more helpful if we could simply get those in either 1 area? I'd love to see us able to customize it, but at the very least give us an option to change where they are located.

But if the UI designer did want my vision of how it would look based on current art (I'd change the art personally to make it even more streamlined) , here it is:

Last edited by Psomm on May 2, 2015, 1:08:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info