HC Crit Dagger Spectral Throw Guide

Good morning! Here is my build and gear guide for the best crit dagger spectral throw build on hc leagues. IMO at least. This is the same as I would build it on softcore for those curious. My standpoint on that is you shouldn't risk killing your character no matter the league you play on.

I stream every night from 7pm-12am CST over at twitch.tv/JeremyDwayne where I'm able to answer questions about this build. You can also find me on YouTube.com/JeremyDwayneIRL and twitter.com/JeremyDwayne

FAQ

Can it be done on other classes?
This build can also be done on a Ranger, and can be argued to be more efficient. However, I believe the attack speed node in the ranger tree isn't necessary, just more convenient while leveling. Its also nice for leveling due to the plethora of 2h nodes down there that you can take and later spec out of.

How does the build feel?
Very fast clear speed, while still being extremely tanky. With ondar's guile and acrobatics there is practically no damage taken, on top of that you run an immortal call with cast on damage taken to stop anything else that sneaks through your insane dodge. Reflect maps are a joke.

How gear dependent is this build?
Not too bad. Obviously your damage is going to suffer if you don't have a good dagger and gear with crit on it, early on this may feel slow till you can fix your crit. I recommend leveling as a 2h spectral throw and making the switch when you get a decent dagger. Otherwise just look for gear with life and resists like normal. An amulet or rings with life leech will be enough to keep you alive. If you do a crazy map consider swapping in life leech instead of added fire. I haven't had to do this. Get evasion gear, if you find some nice pieces of evasion energy shield gear consider going Elderitch Battery for easier mana management. Which I have done because of my beast shield. Consider something like rainbowstrides for boots. They go well with this build. Otherwise, no uniques are required.

Gear and build

Bandits
Normal: Help Oak - Life
Cruel: Help Oak - 18% Phys Dmg
Merciless: Kill All for the skill point (Or help oak for endurance charge, useful for immortal call's duration, or help alira for the power charge if you plan on modifying this build for power charges which can be effective if done correctly)

Gems and Links Required & Suggested!
The main link you're going to use for spectral throw is as follows:
4L: Spectral Throw, LMP, Phys Proj Attk Dmg, and either added fire or increased crit
5L: same, except added fire AND increased crit
6L: add faster attacks <- This will make the build feel really smooth
Recommend quality gems across the board here. They all benefit from it.

Another required setup for this build:
Immortal Call, Cast on Damage Taken, enduring cry, if you have a 4L add enfeeble.
This 3-4L will save your life. When you attack a phys/ele reflect mob Cast on Damage Taken will proc enduring cry which gives endurance charges, then immortal call is casted automatically preventing you from taking a deadly crit to your face. Then on top of that they get enfeebled so any further damage is reduced. This is all performed simultaneously.
Recommend quality immortal call for slightly longer duration. Enduring cry grabs a larger area with more quality, but not really needed.

For single target here is the link.
Double strike, multistrike, melee phys DMG, add melee splash if you want it to also be aoe.
Recommend all quality gems here too, as it will massively boost your single target dps.

Auras:
Grace, Hatred, Reduced Mana
An alternative version of crit dagger goes to the templar and marauder tree, grabs all the reduced mana nodes along the way and runs alpha's howl (Dominion's 1mo Build) but imo its not worth it and makes the build more gear dependent than it really needs to be.

Recommendations for gear

Stat priority: Life -> Resists -> Global Crit Damage -> Global Crit Chance -> Life Leech

YOU MUST USE EVASION GEAR FOR THIS BUILD! Without it there are a lot of different choices that need to be made in the tree and play style.

For a dagger look for high phys damage with crit (NOT spell Crit) and APS. Basically my dagger. There are a few crazy daggers you can mirror on hc I believe if you can't find one yourself.

My current gear

Yes the chest is near BIS and it is 100% self crafted :D Need to eternal exalt lightning/chaos res on it till it's mirror worthy imo.

In Town DPS
With Hatred DPS
Defensive stats in town
Defensive Stats with grace

My Current Build @lvl 84

End game build 113pts

Substitutions
You could grab the evasion+life nodes in the ranger start if you're struggling for life and evasion on your gear. If you're over 4200 life you should be fine in higher level maps.
twitch.tv/JeremyDwayne
youtube.com/JeremyDwayne
Last edited by JeremyDwayne on Jul 29, 2014, 12:55:21 AM
can you plz show us your town DPS ?
Added in town and with aura's damage and defensive pages

Sorry this took a little while to post... although I'm pretty sure you were the one that asked that in stream the other day.
twitch.tv/JeremyDwayne
youtube.com/JeremyDwayne
Thank you for sharing this build. It's cheap, effective and noob friendly.
Blasting through A2 cruel right now and it feels like this char may even be able to kill Dominus.
but how do u handle mana
Last edited by qwertazx on Jul 29, 2014, 3:50:48 PM
The 2% leech from the "Mind drinker" passive is enough for me
Gear

Stuck in A3 at lvl 51. Not doing enough damage. Tried Dominus with the linked gem setup (Im usually using melee physcial damage on double strike and added fire damage on spectral throw).
Going to farm docks for 3 lvls tomorrow and try again.
Last edited by Zechzer on Jul 29, 2014, 10:33:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info