merci dominus reward

i think it would be very well appreciated if merci dominus rewarded players with a full passive tree refund. that way, players would be able to experiment as they go, and will learn what the best nodes to go for are along the way. they will also learn what nodes are less helpful, and so be able to fine tune their builds to be more efficient for the never ending quest of mapping, which is arguably what makes the game the most fun to play.
The problem with this is it would allow people to use one leveling spec and then switch to something completely different once they hit endgame which is something GGG wants to avoid. Also people are FAR more likely to mess up their character by doing a full respec all at once like that than they are by allocating points gradually as they level up, especially the newer players who your idea is trying to help.
"
Hodari wrote:
The problem with this is it would allow people to use one leveling spec and then switch to something completely different once they hit endgame which is something GGG wants to avoid. Also people are FAR more likely to mess up their character by doing a full respec all at once like that than they are by allocating points gradually as they level up, especially the newer players who your idea is trying to help.

why would GGG want to avoid allowing players to change their passive tree build? passive trees have less to do with builds than the items and gems do, since the tree is primarily a source of item/skill attribute enhancing effects like dps%/life%/mana%/res% etc., all of which are item attributes as well. you want your tree to directly enhance the attributes given by your items, and who uses the same items while leveling and questing after merci dominus?

maybe another solution would be to increase the spawn rate of lesser currency, so the newer and less wealthy players can afford to alter and enhance their characters.
Last edited by PandaBears on Jul 22, 2014, 1:59:07 PM
You already get 18 free respec points from doing quests. Surely by the time you get to Dominus you've found a fair amount of Orbs of Regrets and Orbs of Scouring (that can be traded for Orbs of Regret at a vendor). Just how bad did you screw up your character to need a full respec? When they change the tree significantly or move nodes that you spec'd, you get a full respec as well. I think that's more than enough for fine tuning and some experimentation along the way. If you want to completely change your build, starting a new character that you learn how to play as you go is far better than using a full respec only to find what you've created is terrible.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Take that PandaBears!
Well.... I would like to have ANY reward for beating Dominus. A bit weird that Piety gives so much, and Dominus... nothing.
"
loboSG wrote:
Well.... I would like to have ANY reward for beating Dominus. A bit weird that Piety gives so much, and Dominus... nothing.
Yeah, I figured when they added Dominus they'd split up Piety's reward so each would give 1 point.

You do get a yellow 66 map as a reward in Merciless.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
PandaBears wrote:
"
Hodari wrote:

why would GGG want to avoid allowing players to change their passive tree build?

1. Because they want some sense of permanence and commitment to a character running one build rather than what D3 had where you can switch any time you want and therefore only ever need to make one character of each class.

2. As for allowing just a single respec at a certain point in the game, see the bolded part in my previous quote...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info