Make our time worth it - My Solution with Pictures :)

First of all I would like to say that I love POE, been playing with it for 1 year as a casual player.
However I share the same frustration of many other players about how bad RNG is, how difficult is getting good drops but especially how badly proportioned is your time spent in game compared with what you get.

So I want to do something to help and I would like to show you a proposal that comes from my long experience of gamer: this should reward proportionally casual and hardcore players, people running 3 maps a day and people doing it for 12h consecutive, without leaving anyone out.

All the images in this thread have been done by taking public screenshots from youtube and this website, modifying them via MSpaint (I am cheap, sorry!).

My proposal is based on Vendor Coins.
Vendor coins are a new "bind to account" currency which players collect by killing Unique monsters.
Spoiler

Drops are scaled to the level of the area, map and difficulty, so:

Piety on Merciless will drop 3 coins
Boss in maps 66 white drops 2 coins
Boss in maps 66 rare drops 4 coins
Boss in maps 70 white drops 5 coins
Boss in maps 78 rare drops 20 coins
etc..

This is an example, of course it needs to be properly scaled by GGG.

Now, add a vendor in any town who sells Explicit mods for Vendor Coins.
Mods can be injected in specific items of specific level, in accordance to the Mod definition (a complete list can be found here: http://poetools.com/mods-compendium/ ).

Spoiler

and finally, our favorite ring can be injected with that mod you were missing.

Your ring before injecting the mod
Spoiler

Your ring after injecting the mod
Spoiler

now, lets say that you are a casual player and you play 1-2 hours per day. Getting to 100 vendor coins will require you too much time but you still would like to improve your ring with rarity.
Vendors in this case will sell lower tiers mods.

you can farm Vendor Coins for a much cheaper tier 3 rarity, and voila':
Spoiler

the above system needs to be integrated with an additional orb, which randomly removes a mod from your item.
This is necessary to give depth to crafting and can be added as a drop only item which will be part of the standard currency trade system.

With the above system dear GGG you can change our perception of reward: players who invest a certain amount of time in POE want to have a proportional return and currently RNG does not grant it.
It is the concept of the carrot: show us a target and how to achieve it and we will invest our time proportionally to how much we want and we can dedicate to it.

Making maps will be fun again: looking for Boss without forgetting to kill mobs for other map drops...having in mind that I still need 75 coins to get my mod will stimulate players to do more.

Thanks!
All comments are welcome! Be nice... :)
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
very complete suggestion!
it doesn't work, here's why:

if you're able to buy specific mod, scaled on the quantity of those coins, Exalts and Eternals would become almost useless; and we like Exalts and Eternals.

The top base of players would quickly expose the best combination of mods for each build, then most of the informed player base would be useing those mods for their build, and in the end, like in games such as D3, all the builds would be even more identical.

The gear you have is not a limitation to the things you can do. Crafting is fine; it is just not for everybody!

"Wraeclast ain't no country for casual crafters." The Crafters
♦▲◄▼►▲♦ @Kadush ♦▲◄▼►▲♦
"
jeonitsoc wrote:

if you're able to buy specific mod, scaled on the quantity of those coins, Exalts and Eternals would become almost useless; and we like Exalts and Eternals.

The top base of players would quickly expose the best combination of mods for each build, then most of the informed player base would be using those mods for their build, and in the end, like in games such as D3, all the builds would be even more identical.

The gear you have is not a limitation to the things you can do. Crafting is fine; it is just not for everybody!

Thanks for your kind reply.
It is true that pure RNG based items and currency will lose their appeal, as injected alternatives will be better.
But that's exactly the point of the suggestion, make things less RNG based and make farming worth something.
Obviously GGG has to think a different currency reference which players can use to trade their crafted gear.
My point is giving us (casual players) the possibility of enjoying the game and not getting lost in worthless farming which we cannot afford.
"
sfrattini wrote:
"
jeonitsoc wrote:

The top base of players would quickly expose the best combination of mods for each build, then most of the informed player base would be using those mods for their build, and in the end, like in games such as D3, all the builds would be even more identical.

It is true that pure RNG based items and currency will lose their appeal, as injected alternatives will be better.
But that's exactly the point of the suggestion, make things less RNG based and make farming worth something.
Obviously GGG has to think a different currency reference which players can use to trade their crafted gear.
My point is giving us (casual players) the possibility of enjoying the game and not getting lost in worthless farming which we cannot afford.

But introducing even more stuff to collect is not really a solution. Buffing orb drops would be.
"
"
sfrattini wrote:
"
jeonitsoc wrote:

But introducing even more stuff to collect is not really a solution. Buffing orb drops would be.

Would love to see Ex dropping much more, still it will be based on luck, not on how much time you invest in the game.
Last edited by sfrattini on Jul 21, 2014, 6:44:33 AM
"

I agree - or create more vendor recipies that allow you to come up with them.
I think a lower tier exalt might actually help... like an exalt that can roll up to ilvl 40, but be far more common... Another orb that randomly removes an affix would pair well with creating more accessible crafting.

As in, making crafting more accessible at a lower level...

It is true that POE is very RNG. When you kill monsters you create a crap piñata, and finding something good is a lucky find. But I'm honestly perfectly ok with that.

I would be ok with such an account locked currency, if the point of it was oriented around a temporary holiday celebration. But then, you wouldn't likely be putting any affix on any item with it, but instead getting a holiday/event item or micro transaction. (Imagine points being usable to rent a micro transaction, for example.)
"
I think a lower tier exalt might actually help... like an exalt that can roll up to ilvl 40, but be far more common... Another orb that randomly removes an affix would pair well with creating more accessible crafting.

As in, making crafting more accessible at a lower level...

It is true that POE is very RNG. When you kill monsters you create a crap piñata, and finding something good is a lucky find. But I'm honestly perfectly ok with that.

I would be ok with such an account locked currency, if the point of it was oriented around a temporary holiday celebration. But then, you wouldn't likely be putting any affix on any item with it, but instead getting a holiday/event item or micro transaction. (Imagine points being usable to rent a micro transaction, for example.)

Thats also introducing yet another thing to look out for. They could just buff base ex drop rates then. I dont need any orbs that are tiered versions of other orbs.
Actually alts have the same effects of ur coins. If u sell everything u get, u will have an steadily income of alts.

You want to elimate rng at crafting, i think that is a terrible idea. If u have plenty currency it will be much much much easier to obtain better items, which leads just to a power creep
IGN: Surak Methred Wrathclaws Boxender_Gladiator Dunkler_Beschwörer Lady_Discharge

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info