Unstable FPS even in town

So, I recently bought a GTX 550ti and, despite running every single game I tried with no FPS drops at all, I get constant microstutterings and split-second freezes in Path of Exile.

When these problems happen, my FPS drops from ~130 to 3 or 4.
It is strange, but it could be acceptable if it happened in 6-man paries, but the problem here is that its happening solo and even when I'm in town.

So, after a few hours of searching through google I tried several things:

Lowering every single graphic options in-game. (Didn't help at all, my FPS was still around 120-160 but dropping to 2 or 3 every now and then)
Enabling V-Sync. (Made my FPS become a little bit more stable, now it only drops from 60 to ~25, but it is still an issue)
Reinstalling my graphic card's driver.
Downloading NVidia Inspector and limiting FPS to 58.
Playing with --nosound or -dx9.
Disabling Antivirus.
Making sure there are no programs running in background when I'm playing.

Here's a screenshot without VSync:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iv99o1iq4ey3tqj/Captura%20de%20tela%202014-07-17%2007.18.35.png

With Vsync the FPS remains capped at 60, but the FPS still drops to 3, 10 or 20 even in town.

So, what else can I do?

Also, there was one guy who made a thread saying that he got some problems after he bought a new power supply. I don't think that has anything to do, but I also changed my power supply when I changed my graphic card.

My computer:
Intel Core i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10 Ghz 3.10 Ghz
6 GB RAM
Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 550TI 1GB DDR5
EVGA 430w 80plus bronze
Hi MarowakOP,

I'm sorry to hear this is occurring. Could you please check your hardware temperatures as you're playing?

I'd also recommend checking your PC's power settings and checking if you're playing on a "High Performance" profile. If you're not, it may be worth giving it a try to see if things improve.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
GPU temperature is at ~75ºC when playing, never over 80. Is that a problem?

I'm playing on High Performance.
I deleted the config INI file in Path of Exile's folder to reset my configurations and now my game runs stable at 60 fps with vsync on. Only drops to 5 FPS every once in a while, when there are many mosnters spawning at once, like when opening strongboxes or Lunaris Temple.

Anyway, it is playable now, even though drops still occur.

My Temperature is going from 75 to 80, sometimes getting to 82.
When should I be worried? Is this temperature acceptable? The fan is at 80% when this happens.
nice you solved your problems.

your gpu's temp can go up to 100°C without problems.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
MarowakOP wrote:
I deleted the config INI file in Path of Exile's folder to reset my configurations and now my game runs stable at 60 fps with vsync on. Only drops to 5 FPS every once in a while, when there are many mosnters spawning at once, like when opening strongboxes or Lunaris Temple.

Anyway, it is playable now, even though drops still occur.

My Temperature is going from 75 to 80, sometimes getting to 82.
When should I be worried? Is this temperature acceptable? The fan is at 80% when this happens.

Even though the card can handle that kind of temperatures, I personally wouldnt like seeing it that high. What I did when I had temperature issues with one of my old cards was to install MSI Afterburner (there probably are other programs that do the same) and modify the fan profile to a more aggressive one. This way the fan will speed up at lower temperatures and keep the heat away before it gets too high. I have done this with every card since, and none of my cards are running higher than 66 ish degrees with full load and the fan is only running at 75%.

I think a lot of the cards struggle to get the heat away if you let it get too hot before increasing the fan speed, its like it gets overwhelmed with heat and its too much for the fan. This is at least my experience the last 10 years. Hope it helps.

Edit: Oh, and I would like to add that the fps counter in PoE can only show certain numbers, so your fps is somewhere inbetween. I dont remember the exact numbers, but for example it will only show 200, 163, 142, 125 etc. So if it shows 163, it can be anything between 142 and 163, probably closer to 163 though. So if it shows you 5 fps, it might be higher. You could get a free copy of Fraps to show the real fps. Just a tip :)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Last edited by CrazylikE on Jul 21, 2014, 5:13:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info