OneLyc's Double Shockwave Totem Build [INV]

Hi exiles,

I made a thing.
So I guess this the place to make a long thread and guide about it.
there's video too! yay!
t-this is my first time please b-be gentle.
I am very, very sorry for my punctuation, format and upper Case letter psychosis. and spoilertagism

So let's get straight to it.
Here's a short video of me doing a little Dock run at lvl 64 and also doing the corrupted zone with
double boss and vulnerability.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGovx52R4H0

I hope you enjoyed that.
now here's some raw data.

My Current Gear

My Current Flasks

wow that was fun!
but now let's get to the tl;dr part!

The Original Idea

"What the hell were you thinking? Shockwave Totems??! You must be out of your mind!"

you betcha!
As long as I can remember, looking at the Shockwave Totem skill gem has always given me a warm fuzzy feeling.
What's up with that gem?
Why did it get a crit chance at some point in a patch?
Why does it cost 73(!) mana UNLINKED at lvl 20?
Can I go dynamite fishing with it?
Questions and even more questions...It seemed a mystery to me.
I grew paranoid and felt like GGG is hiding something in that gem. Something delicious.
I knew I had to get to the bottom of this mystery so I set out to make a super cereal build with it.

For weeks(hours) I looked for ways to scale it...
Spelldamage? Nope...
Added Fire and avatar of fire it somehow with a ton of firedmg nodes? Puh-lease...

Lowlife Redbeak with 800-1000str and a ton of life nodes to have like 3k out of 9k life? WHY OF COURSE!
a very stupid idea.

but that indeed was the original idea I had. I started using a trusty old Springleaf Shield just to get the feeling of how low life feels.
Scary. Terrible.
It did work in the beginning though. Anything trying to hit me below lowlife just got obliterated by whoppin 6% extra life regen on top of some juicy life regen nodes I had already picked.
but this was normal and soon mobs would start to hit me for more than I wanted to and it quickly crumbled.

Hybrid? No because Mr. Smartypants here chose to go bloodmagic which is super necessary for the manacost and using a spell counts as getting damage so your energyshield would never recharge and you can't leech or life gain on hit yada yada you're gonna have a bad time mkay. We'll get to bloodmagic later.

So what was I supposed to do? Redbeak became useless because there was no more 100% damage bonus.
Again the totem just did not want to scale...
and even the mighty lifesaver Springleaf became weak as cruel foes started dishing out the big deeps.
so it was replaced by the shield I'm still using and I thought to myself "heck, let's just level some more and see how it evolves.

The Evolving Idea

After a while to my surprise I started to notice something.
I did not die.
Infact, as soon as I put a point in Ancestral Bond, mobs started behaving in all sorts of silly manners.
The crowd control power was over 9000.
Mobs that usually chase you around desperately try to get close to your totems.
Invaders that should be scary became silly. It was not a super clearspeed build
but the tons of strength and regen coupled with the constant knockback makes you outlast anything.
So I guess I made a..uh..what's it called... a tank?
Does anyone even play these? What? They're called conduits? Oh ok.
I guess I'll change this part here on the tree then..and then I'll hmm..oh wait what's this...NOO Waaay? That node does WHAT? ew gross...

The Current Idea

This is the part where I pretend to be super cereal and knew what I was doing all along.

So I've had friends that made 8-9k life builds (without kaoms) by simply whoppin up large amounts of strength and life and life nodes and then just iron will the crap out of some gems (like incinerate) they could scrap the remaining attributes together. And they totally worked. So I totally stole that.
but I was still left with a gem that didn't want to scale with Iron Will. So I returned to parts of the orignal idea I completely forgot to mention: support with "Physical Damage" gear. like Meginords
and Magnate. It got better but it still felt not overwhelming. So I went back to looking at Uniques.
and soon I found the Doon
How could I not see it before? Doon Cuebiyari. Scales any damage with strength.
get 800 str = redbeak without lowlifing.
Jackpot.
"That's how I'm gonna scale those bastards! Finally!"

But mind you.. by now the build worked very well without the Doon.
Big packs even blue ones were no no problem. Of course, again, this wasn't super clearspeed like a flameblast, but way safer and with freedom of movement.
There was also the weakness of singletarget. Double regen rares. ew.
Something had to be done.

But i'm ancestral bond! How am I supposed to do something else while my totems bang away?
a distant voice whispered: "use searing bond, come on...do eet"

nope.avi

I was not going to stoop so low. After all I was super cereal about this

So I figured I should craft a nifty Trap with gems I can afford that also somehow benefit from Doons Iron Will, so I got a bit of dex on an ammy and got a Trap + Firestorm + Firepen.
Easypeasy 3link. My tree didn't allow for much fancier things cause I just lacked the dex.
My ideal choice would have been Firetrap + Firepen + Inc Aoe (conc effect would work great too of course)
So I got an Astramentis.
Now I'm only one 30dex node away from being able to max level firetrap. It gets boosted by Iron Will and I'm happy to throw in that extra deeps while the Drums are doing their thing.
I just have to level it more.

I realize I've covered most of my thoughts behind the Uniques chosen in the Ideas section
but still I feel like I should make a section for them in particular

Notable Uniques

Geofri's Crest

A popular Unique for Righteous Fire I think and of course a good choice to scale the Totem just a bit higher.
No Life but good res and Chaos res which this build enjoys alot with the big life pool aswell
I payed 15Chaos for mine. I don't know if that's the regular price, I wanted it, xyz'd it, I offered it and I got it. I did this pretty much for most of my purchases. I'm not an economy expert.

Meginord's Vise

Pretty straight forward, Indiscriminate Phys Damage + 100str. We want str.
these actually dropped for me, no idea what they are worth.

The Magnate

Again, indiscriminate Phys Damage, str and the Flask charge rate comes in pretty handy more often then you'd want to believe. Could be better rolled of course. This dropped while I was leveling as well, pretty lucky or Chris being Chris knowing what I'm gonna do, take your pick. Don't know what they are worth either, check xyz.

Doon Cuebiyari

Key Item. Noticable damage boost flatwise aswell as the added cast speed making your bongos bongo harder.
I payed 1ex 15chaos for this although many where listed at 2ex. I might have gotten an end of league bonuse or the guy was just nice.

Astramentis

I'm pretty sure I overpayed for this but I just really wanted to have it to bring in the singletarget/trap aspect into the build and complete my vision of it all.

I payed a Lightning Coil, Cloak of Defiance, Three 78 maps, 10Chaos and 1 Divine for it
it was listed at 4ex so judge for yourself. Personally it was all trash to me because I love you Astramentis don't listen to them we will be together forever now.

So all in all the only big price tags on this build are 2ex for Doon and 4ex for Astra
6ex seems fine and affordable to me.

The Endgame Tree

This is what I'm aiming for and will try to level to in the last days of the league/extra days until the 1month league.

Notable Things on the Tree:
the routes may seem ugly but it gets you alot of str, totem nodes and that nice indiscriminate Phys Damage Node at the Scion.

Bloodmagic is a key element of this build don't try to use gems, you will get too high costs and have extra bloodgems taking up space everywhere. Don't worry that you don't have auras. the only real aura that benefits your totems is Hatred and that's not a rare aura to encounter in a party.

Purity of Flesh makes you get Int before you have an astramentis so you can use faster cast and inc aoe + some extra chaos res

The Armor nodes in the Marauder tree area are something you can save up for last. finishing the scion circle of life first is probably preferable to alot of playstyles. getting Faith and Steel in the templar area wouldn't be bad either if you're struggling with res but the shield nodes should help you out there.

Life Regen is your friend don't be afraid to get those, same with the AoE node in the templar area, it gives you a bit of damage but the extra ground you cover with it is very noticable.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYYz38UFCMzy7_9kiiD18_fLjBBOOf8axVtScvKS6eze8OGj6nMLyfVEkUcRQgcrukrPIv-Ovfv1BHuc3qGErEGJGhbfcyWOV4aXKpu-32rqyqkc5Z8yoTwBpaK8MTkFVmniynp4T60qPyGjgdFHB9NunsOI9GgFYkquNqOtjQ0KcIT30ZhXy7LdLPZdrdFVBRYBpsxYpVxhoy893wH69sFm8Es6IATP8UTQJxPC2DOMau73wQzLc-_ocrtkGH_gp7IIxG-ejyRYjx-JNodDrh2mKmV5SgMZ4=

Bandits

Oak - life ftw
Oak - another rare opportunity to get indiscriminate Phys Damage that scales your totem
Oak - Endurance charges, cause you're a tank.

About my gear

As you can see there is nothing special besides Doon and Astra on my poor marauder, this was partly intentional to see how budget this build can go. many of you can probably upgrade each of my rares tenfold but I think that just speaks for the build.

gems
should you get quality? of course it never hurts.
the totem gets 30% extra life which is huge
faster cast and inc aoe are also big on improvement with quality. added fire is neglibible.

Why do you vaal ground slam?

Vaal ground slam stuns any enemy and can't be evaded even though it does no damage because of ancestral bond and is only level 1. it can store 4 uses which makes it very useful to interrupt invaders doing nasty things (e.g. fire nova) or you can play point man for your party in rooms filled with nasties (alchemists, evangelists) just have to rely on your buddies to storm in and take action while your enemies are inactioned

I see a molten shell in your setup but it's not in your actively assigned skills. why?

I used molten shell before vaal ground slam. you can level it aaall the way and not fear reflect because of ancestral bond. it gives a solid 10%+ boost to your armor but the slam just proves more useful for when you want to make a getaway or is generally preferable to not getting hit than getting hit with molten shell on. however that is just my preference, maybe it suits you more. my plan for molten shell is to reinstate it on a highlvl Codt (just level them both to the max baby) and let it cast itself for when things get really rough

flesh offering? srsly?
necromancers, birds, invaders, unique maps. there's enough situations where your firetrap becomes useless and you just gotta make some bodies dissapear. only needs to be lvl 1. destroys multiple corpses at once. could definitely use a faster cast

selfcast enduring cry and immortal call?
yep, try and keep your charges up alot, keeps you tanky, boosts your regen, panick immortal call when you get surprised by strong bleeds/burst damage. it's intentionaly on the T button because 5 is also my bleed pot and those are close together. but you can set it up as you want of course

wait..you actually leveled like this? ...freak
end of the league is reasearch and development time for me, I try to come up with new things and then achieve them the hardest way possible. yes you should definitely rather level as a 2hand marauder or even searing bond, but once you have all the gear a switch at 64 is feasible. not that you'll have made 6ex by lvl 64 to afford the key pieces. but this isn't a league starter build, I consider this a "gear waiting in stash" build or "can afford to buy on the way" build

TL;DR

well that's my build folks.
more videos will come up in the future of maps and stuff but my pc is poor and weak so don't expect too much quality <.<

if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll make like a FAQ section or something...

cheers
OneLyc

I'm that Morty guy.
Last edited by OneLyc on Jun 30, 2014, 7:48:20 PM
hey exiles I made another video

here's DubbleDrum at lvl 69 trying a 71 Strand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFFwfhZCFb4
hurray for drum & bass while drummin!

mods are Fleet so mobs run faster to my totems and magic monsters cause we all love those

this video showcases one of the cons: annoying necros. nothing we can't handle but fire trap could be stronger (still leveling) and flesh offering could have been used more agressively early on. all in all still very happy with it
desync massier hits hard @.@

cheers and 'til he next vid
OneLyc

I'm that Morty guy.
Last edited by OneLyc on Jul 1, 2014, 9:09:37 PM
Love this build. It should be a build of the week, but only if they include the GIF. That really makes it. Inventive build, entertaining writeup. Makes me wish I had some exalts lying around.
"People ask me why I do this at my age. People are rude."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info