Game was working fine, now won't load....client.exe has stopped working

With the GGG screen up, I get this error message....have tried repeatedly.

Why would this happen? Nothing has changed, and I played and quit the game, just yesterday.

Please don't tell me I may need to uninstall/reinstall......hassles I do not need right now....just wanted to play a game.
Last edited by billybgame on Feb 2, 2013, 3:53:37 PM
Against my better judgement, trying to run a pack check.....anyhow.....don't know how you do this:

2) Open a command prompt inside your Path of Exile directory.

I use Windows Explorer......I have packcheck.exe in the PoE folder....now what do I do?

Win 7, BTW

Edit: I've tried just opening this file, and it looks like a command prompt opens, but it's for a heartbeat, then closes.
Last edited by billybgame on Feb 2, 2013, 4:03:12 PM
Seriously...no help here?
The instructions are in the sticky under Common Technical Problems or something like that.

You need to open a command prompt (elevated if you're not Administrator on your PC) and go to where your PoE executable + PackCheck is. In Windows Vista and later I believe you can do this by right clicking the folder and choosing "Open command prompt in this location" or something along those lines. After that, type PackCheck and it should scan for a while and give you results. If nothing appears before shooting you back to C:\Path of Exile\ or whatever, there's nothing wrong with your pack file.
Last edited by dndallasta on Feb 2, 2013, 11:04:39 PM
"
dndallasta wrote:
The instructions are in the sticky under Common Technical Problems or something like that.

You need to open a command prompt (elevated if you're not Administrator on your PC) and go to where your PoE executable + PackCheck is. In Windows Vista and later I believe you can do this by right clicking the folder and choosing "Open command prompt in this location" or something along those lines. After that, type PackCheck and it should scan for a while and give you results. If nothing appears before shooting you back to C:\Path of Exile\ or whatever, there's nothing wrong with your pack file.

I read the pack check instructions......

I use Win Explorer extensively, so know my way around. But, have never done this before. I tried right clicking on the PoE folder, and inside it, and have nothing for opening a command prompt.

My laptop did crash two days ago. If all else fails maybe I'll do a system restore and save myself the grief. Who knows, maybe something to do with that caused this issue.

Would like to get it resolved. Wanted to play last night, but just gave up and did other stuff.

Edit:

Ok...did a Google search......integral part I didn't know....you have to hold Shift, then R click, within Win Explorer to get that to show up. The things you don't know.....

Anyhow, so I opened a command prompt, by clicking on PoE folder. Then copied the prompt PackCheck Content.ggpk

It starts, then sits there running......then, just like the game error, after minutes, I get packcheck.exe has stopped working.

What does this tell me? I'm leaning towards trying to do a restore, but not sure why I'd need to....nothing new was installed.
Last edited by billybgame on Feb 3, 2013, 9:12:39 AM
bump....prefer to get the game working more than be on page 4.
dang...bump again....client.exe and packcheck.exe fails and no one can help?
Hi, I had this problem and this fixed it for me:

1. Navigate to your installation folder. (C:\ProgramFiles\PathOfExile\)
2. Make a new folder and copy all of the .dll files in the installation directory to the new folder.(this is in case something goes wrong and you need them back)
3. Delete all the .dll files in the installation folder.
4. Start the Client.exe.

It should then download new .dll's to repair the issue. This worked for me, let me know if it works for you.
IGN: IlluminatiConfirmed_
"
Hi, I had this problem and this fixed it for me:

1. Navigate to your installation folder. (C:\ProgramFiles\PathOfExile\)
2. Make a new folder and copy all of the .dll files in the installation directory to the new folder.(this is in case something goes wrong and you need them back)
3. Delete all the .dll files in the installation folder.
4. Start the Client.exe.

It should then download new .dll's to repair the issue. This worked for me, let me know if it works for you.

I see four of them....is that all? I'll do it pretty soon, and see what happens....thanks.

Edit: Oops, now I see five

Edit 2: Nope, no dice.....removed the five dlls, then started the game....it checked resources, and all, but then, after Launch, got the client.exe failed error again:(
Last edited by billybgame on Feb 4, 2013, 6:34:25 PM
bump....sigh...someday maybe the game will work again for me......

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info