Desecrate Ground (especially in Maps)

So after playing a bunch of Desecrated Ground maps, I noticed they have a faint humming sound, to make it seem all ominous and haunting. It's a pretty cool sound effect. When you're not hearing it ALL MAP LONG.

The sound alone gets pretty frustrating when you hear it constantly, but it has a more pressing issue; it's clogging the audio channels, overwriting other sound effects. Spell sounds, attack sounds, item drop sounds, can all get muted by the presence of desecrated ground. I'm sure you can think of the situations where that'd be disadvantageous to players.
I just want to bump this as I find this bug quite annoying and it impacts on game play quite a bit, at least in difficult maps in some situations. There is just so many of the game action sounds lost you can lose sense of what is going on, lose awareness of mobs actions, along with your own; and I am guessing this is not intentional?

Seems also some frame rate loss? Just got pawned hard by two groups of magic devourers due to lag and that I could not hear/anticipate a thing.

Last edited by ZeroHate on Jul 28, 2014, 7:07:47 AM
Bump

Also this sound is performance impactful. I put soundeffects=false (this disables all sound effects including ground hummning) in ini file and consecrated ground maps are more fluid overall.
I think same applies to shocking/fire grounds (they have long looped sounds too).
Overall sounds in this game are very performance hungry and not optiimized.

proposed solutions:

- move this annoying looped sounds from 'soundeffects' to 'ambientsounds' category so we can disable it without muting fights and mobs sounds. Thety should be there in first place tbh

- remove them completely

PS. making them quieter will NOT WORK especially for ppl with good quality headphones.

PS2. Can we have audio quality options like on other games? Sound is really performance hungry in POE (and if you dont believe me try running game with --nosound in command line).
Something like that (faster->better quality slider)?

sound developer response will be nice. I dont have high hopes about quality options and optimizations (because gg shows more than once that they just dont care) but removing this annoying sounds or moving them to ambient category should be easy to do.

PS3. If you will be checking and changing this sounds please check and change also burning and shocking ground sounds.

Last edited by TheKingInYelllow on Aug 5, 2014, 5:08:07 PM
"
because ggg shows more than once that they just dont care

woah guy. Course we do!

I probably should have replied to this thread earlier, after reading the OP i went and had a play through a few levels with ground effects. Completely agreed, it gets pretty grating.

SO made a few changes to the sound, hopefully it helps. Audio is quieter, lower priority and can only be heard when standing much closer to the ground effect, you pretty much have to be standing right on top of it.

The audio guy.
Did you changed only desecrated or other 'grounds' too?

And what with performance hit? May i (and other players) expect less performance hit from this mods?

Srsly i just tested this - Crypt map with burning ground and i get 20-30 fps fluctuations when im standing still. Same map without burning ground - stable 60 fps, porting to town full of players - 50 fps.

Exacly the same situation is with consecrated.
Only freeze ground doesnt have performance hit (it does not have sound attached?)

I will now roll same map and try to put --noaudio for testing.

EDIT: Its definitely more fluid with --noaudio ;) i will try to delete --softwareaudio like you described in PM. Thx for advices and all. :)
Last edited by TheKingInYelllow on Aug 5, 2014, 8:19:11 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info