Vanxi's Frost Arctic Breath / Discharge Build

Hello everyone, I am posting details to my build that I am using because a fair few people have shown interest and hopefully there is some good information here for others.

The goal of this build was to focus a lot of attention to pack clearing speed for solo mapping and to also make use of Arctic Breath since I never see other players using it. I had originally searched the internet for any similar type of build and I came across nothing, so if you know of anything out there please feel free to let me know in a reply.

I am currently travelling and play POE on my laptop so a recording of game play is out of the question for the time being.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Pros:
Spoiler
- Excellent clear speed.
- Not too squishy, I am able to facetank monsters when required.
- Can very easily kite when I'm too chicken to facetank.
- Great crowd control.
- Very cheap.

Cons:
Spoiler
- Group play is limited in that Frenzy charges are harder to obtain and Discharge does not one shot packs.
- No real way to deal with reflect other then attack, wait, attack, wait.
- Frenzy charge management, too often I have ran into packs and realized I had no charges.

Strategy:
Spoiler
Blood Rage is used to generate Frenzy charges, to mitigate the chaos damage I have taken up Chaos Inoculation. Arctic Armour, Evasion and Shield Block are used for damage mitigation. Discipline and Clarity are a must for this build.

Upon seeing packs, I will firstly Cold Snap them. Once frozen I will then curse Frostbite, Lightning Warp in if needed and then immediately Discharge. In most scenarios this will shatter the entire pack and leave no corpses. Pop my Quicksilver Flask then move to the next pack.

For single target I will curse with Temporal Chains, then continuously cast Arctic Breath. The combination of the curse, frost patch and freezes will slow the enemy right down so that my energy shield regenerates between each hit. Or if I don't want to get hit at all I can just walk to the other side of the monster when I see them begin their swing. Alternatively I am able to kite, with Arctic Breath's range this is very easy to accomplish.

Gems:
Spoiler
Main Attack (4/5 Link Single Target + AOE)
Arctic Breath, Lesser Multiple Projectiles, Cold Penetration, Faster Casting.
I am currently only using a 4 link but when I get my 5 link I will either put Increased Critical Strikes (for freeze chances) or Culling Strike (for group play Frenzy charges).

Secondary Attack (4 Link AOE)
Discharge, Cold Penetration, Increased Area of Effect, Concentrated Effect.
Great damage but very costly on mana. Increased mana nodes are essential.

Utility Crowd Control (4 Link AOE)
Cold Snap, Elemental Proliferation, Cold Penetration, Added Cold Damage.

Auras (3 Link)
Discipline, Clarity, Reduced Mana

Movement (2 Link)
Lightning Warp, Reduced Duration

Frenzy Charges (2 Link)
Blood Rage, Increased Duration

Other (No Link)
Frostbite, Temporal Chains, Arctic Armour

Passive Tree:

Gear:
Spoiler
Try to maximize on increased mana, mana regen and resists.

I will eventually swap this wand with a +2 to cold gems wand to further increase Arctic Armour and Frostbite effectiveness.

Flasks:
Spoiler
Although I specialize in evasion, I still prefer the Granite Flask over the Jade Flask.

Bandits:
Spoiler
Should be obvious: kill, kill, help Kraityn.
Last edited by spectrexr6 on Jun 4, 2014, 11:35:03 AM
THX for the thread, i am the first to replay!!!
I would recommend using cold snap linked with trap (instead of added cold). Aside from the more multiplier it allows you to use 3 cold snaps in a row as the trap overwrites the usual cold snap cooldown with the trap cooldown. It more than triples your CS damage.
excellent idea, I'll give it a try
I tested the trap with a map and some docks runs, it works really well. With the delay on the trap I am able to get my Frostbite off before it triggers.
just curious how this build stacks up while mapping?
Looks interesting.
Consider a build like this:

https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA37BBloIQSbIC4welLJxzU1crB2PmgTvhu9YRUG0ZLL_BxX_GoqPB8_IdiEJWY9eGFdeGrsNt7BgRlvyrnaMvb9kTcLvjhA5IFr_z6sBRXfJw1QL-34RCw4w2ES-294fb62OZmjY9iGuly0yzLR9fKuvk215QMKcI2CQ2xR8CBAdmT7I4gUmPRvPdGmydrilP5CKFfYKbXca1BIuM4XPtIEbXBVtgbd3znYCMdk3YOtjsOIFvnjydxFj1tzFDY5rPcU1mnhZAuMo7fA_EwFTvfIM4tvr3po5kpyvi9w==#

Then use Arctic Breath + GMP + Power Charge on crit + Faster Casting/Spell Echo + Cold Pen + Concentrated Effect.

You'll lose 1 frenzy charge but gain 3-6 power charges
Last edited by Meraxas on Aug 8, 2014, 8:34:37 PM
why not just use frenzy ?
"
scyllalice wrote:
why not just use frenzy ?

When you're running around blowing stuff up with discharge, it will keep refilling your charges as long as Blood Rage is active. If you just use Frenzy you have to stop and use it instead of Discharge.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info