Suggestions for a new build type

I'd love to see more support for unarmed combat. Many games I played in the 90s had monk-type classes which would hit really fast and precisely, but could not use a lot of items. How about this as a keystone:
"Budo master", which gives good bonuses to damage, chance to hit and attack speed for unarmed combat only. Maybe a boost to dodge as well. The price you pay would be significantly raised str+dex requirement on all gear.

This would allow us to create martial arts characters. Maybe some normal nodes could give smaller bonuses to unarmed combat.
We could also have special item mods for unarmed characters, like slowing enemies down on hit, reducing their accuracy or dmg when you deal a critical strike. Maybe armour could have a "sneak" effect, lowering the radius at which enemies see you (because you move so quietly).
Think Karate/KungFu/Ninja techniques and their effects.
Special skill gems could always follow later, though I guess they'd have to be single target specific to make sense. A good movement skill which works without a weapon would be necessary.

I'd love to hear your suggestions on this. Is it nonsense? Do you like it? Does it sound feasible?

See ya in Wraeclast,
Treffnixe
May your maps be bountiful, exile
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I think almost all physical damage passives work with unarmed. Also, the melee and unarmed range nodes are for that.
I agree, and there are unarmed builds around, but they all use Facebreaker and [BoR or Abyssus] because you need +x phys dmg from somewhere. It would be nice if we could have a little more build diversity here...
Last edited by SisterBlister on May 28, 2014, 8:25:57 AM
"
I think almost all physical damage passives work with unarmed. Also, the melee and unarmed range nodes are for that.

That is actually besides the point. These nodes help everybody, with or without weapon. So if I compare how much such a node helps an unarmed char vs an armed char, the unarmed guy loses out, because the base dmg of the weapon weighs in so heavily.

The only entity in this game I have seen which benefits specifically unarmed chars is Facebreaker. All other mods/items/nodes benefit armed characters as well, and they get much higher DPS from these entities. So there is very little point to creating unarmed chars.

And that is the thing I find a pity.
Its meant to be rare and not overused. If it was buffed in some way more people would go that route and therefore trivialize the build.
"
Its meant to be rare and not overused. If it was buffed in some way more people would go that route and therefore trivialize the build.

I don't understand. What is meant to be rare and which build should not be trivialized?

My idea with the keystone is to allow more unarmed build types. At the cost of not being able to use items which are too powerful for it, such as BoR and Abyssus. Or rather, to be able to use such items only if you spec so much str+dex that you have to make compromises elsewhere.
And maybe they could add skill gems specific to unarmed melee attacks?
"
AlfaTangOh wrote:
And maybe they could add skill gems specific to unarmed melee attacks?

Exactly what I'm hoping for. Especially a good movement skill, like a flying kick or such. It would be cool to have nice single-target skills, the game is too full of AoE and ranged stuff.
Hm, must have misjudged the interest in this topic. One more attempt:

Currently facebreaker is the "gate" into unarmed combat. It's the only way to mitigate the enormous disadvantage of low base dmg due to lack of a weapon. But aren't keystones the entities which are meant to enable build types?

So how about a keystone for unarmed combat? To avoid overpowered builds, this keystone should make it very hard to use overpowered gear, through some limitation such as higher str+dex requirements. Or "no metal on armour/helm/gloves or boots". Or maybe armour and evasion are nerfed by 50%, which would allow glass cannon builds. Or, or... I'd love to see more build options here.

If this thread generates no more responses I guess it can be closed...
i think that unarmed builds should spawn more and with more diversity; unarmed "monk style" gear should be made; on top of that would be great to see new unarmed animations, and skills.

what epic unarmed only skill could be awesome to see for a fist/kicks fight against a boss?

♦▲◄▼►▲♦ @Kadush ♦▲◄▼►▲♦

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info