Triple Flame Totem with knockback as the only defense used.

Build history
All started back when passive gems were introduced to the game. I was trying to utilize Curse on hit. I thought of a defensive totem for my Ice crit Witch, which was supposed to be Flame totem with Temporal Chains triggered by CoH and a knockback.

After several rounds of testing I found out that "On hit" works for knockback but not for a combination of a totem skill and and curse spell. But during that testing period I have seen how much fun that knockback on a skill with so high cast rate is.

Some time later while playing a starter Ranger character in Domination league a searing touch dropped. So I did my first flame totem Scion build afterwards. Because I wanted to do a mf build with low life utilizing the 100% irr unique boots. Plan was to grab all aura nodes and all totem nodes except the south (dueliste area) ones. Also I wanted to get the Ancestral Power achievement, so I got the Soul Mantle chest for that. Here I found out that 3 totems are nice, those curses are not a problem at all, that I am lucky regardless the iir I stack and that dying to chaos all the time is lame. The alternate skill I put in my Soul Mantle was Arctic breath, since it was projectile as well and not fire - useful for fire resistant mobs and equilibrium.

And again some time later while playing my starter Witch in Ambush both Searing Touch and Soul Mantle dropped on me. So I decided to this once again. This time with no low life, no mf, no auras and basically no other defenses rather my tanky totems themselves. So I leveled my Flame Totem, GMP, Faster Projectiles and Knockback and here we are ...
Point of this build is for the player to laugh at melee attackers.
They can't simply reach you neither your totems. And if they can't reach you, they can't hurt you.
Of course it has a downside - you have to hide from projectile attacks quite well.
It can be avoided by going for some nice Evasion and Ondar's Guile by sacrificing some DPS in the passive tree. Also going for EB and having Arctic Armour on and so on ...
I leave that up for a discussion.
Anyway that is not what I wanted to try out. I wanted to try out if I can solely rely on my totems as a defense.
Oh and yes you die to champion or huge packs of Devourers all the time.
Can they be triggered by decoy totem? I need to try that.
I need them to sneak up on something I cast ahead, not me :p

And yes if you play super carefully and progress slowly you can avoid all deaths.
Which is not fun, slow progress never is, but it is doable.
And that was the secondary purpose of this build.

So check out
my gear
As you can see I have put Storm Call in Soul Mantle. This has no other meaning than to see how that works. And it looks kickass to have 3 totems spam all those lightnings. And it is kinda DPSy against ranged monsters who stand still, not running around, just shooting their projectiles. A very nice addition to the knockbacking Flame totems which are counter to melee.
and and how my 59 Scion did in a 69 map
Exile guarded a strongbox
Pitty her and her minions to which there were no end. Dead exploded bodies and blood everywhere!!
Click the picture to enlarge it.
12 levels below my enemy
The Blacksmith was a joke
Poor guy, can't move a single millimeter towards me and my totems. Same doom met his zombies after he tried to jump forward with no success.
and the map is clear
Took me around 20 minutes. 8 minutes was the fight with the exile. Other exiles are super quick, but she runs around and its hard to target her instead of the zombies and skeletons, you can't order your totems you know ...
Point is it's doable with basically no defense. Higher maps are ok too, it just takes much longer, because you totems die fast to ranged attacks.
I have not died. There were no devourers.
My original account Dushan is banned.
I miss my Kiwi and Demigod's Presence.
:(
By reading any of Duchan's forum posts you agree to the following Duchan forum posts Terms of Use:
http://i.imgur.com/tmkhs22.png
Last edited by Duchan on May 14, 2014, 8:22:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info